National Schools Championships 2010-11

National developments, strategies and ideas.
ThomasThorpe
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm

National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by ThomasThorpe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi

Our school has entered this event, but I was wondering when the zone draws are. The entries had to be in by end of September, and now it's mid-October and I haen't heard anything. If they've already been done and you can give me a web address that would be great. It might be that I'll find out from my teacher on Monday :lol: if it hasn't been done, is there an estimate date for them to be done

Thanks

Tom

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Thomas,
I haven't heard anything yet. I don't think I had any information until November last year.

ThomasThorpe
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by ThomasThorpe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you Matthew. Let's hope we don't get picked against Millfield like we did 2 years ago!

Daniel Young
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Daniel Young » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 pm

There's nothing yet for this year's event, but when the draw is published the best I am aware of is the Southern Counties Chess Union page on the competition here. It does give detailed results for the national stage, but only groupings for regions.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9325
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Daniel Young wrote:There's nothing yet for this year's event, but when the draw is published the best I am aware of is the Southern Counties Chess Union page on the competition here. It does give detailed results for the national stage, but only groupings for regions.
There is good reason they appear there: The SCCU page is run by the controller of the competition. :wink:

Is that not last year's though?

Neill Cooper
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Cumbria
Contact:

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Last year the zones were posted by Richard Haddrell on the SCCU website on about 28th October - i.e. during half term week.
I heard from the zone controller in early November and then had to quickly arrange fixtures.
It would be good if it all started earlier as there are A level exams in January, and normally a fixtures clashes have to be played then.

Andrew Camp
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Colwyn Bay

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Heard nothing at my school yet, either.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Neill Cooper
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Cumbria
Contact:

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm

"Entries for 2010-11 are still being taken, but the book must close soon."
http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/schoolschamps.htm 20.10.10

As a school chess organiser I would much prefer the closing of 30th September to be adhered to so that the event could start before October half term, to avoid the pressure of fixtures (for successful teams) in January and February

Daniel Young
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Daniel Young » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:11 pm

My school received its draw for the first round today (or at least, I heard it today.) I don't know if that means the draw has been made for all zones or just for our one.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Our pairings were sent out on Sunday, ready for the return from half-term.

Richard Haddrell

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Richard Haddrell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 pm

I only came across this thread four days ago, and didn’t post then because I was, well, otherwise occupied. If you haven’t noticed, the Zone groupings appeared here on the SCCU website yesterday. I sent the details to the Zone Conductors two days before that, and I know they have already reached the schools in 11 of the 14 Zones. The other three Zones, I’m not sure yet. Let me know if your school hasn’t heard. Only do it privately. You know my email address if you’ve entered a team.

I agree the competition ought to start earlier. But I’m not sure about Neill’s suggestion of adhering to the end-September deadline. If I’d done that there would have been about 110 entries (the number eventually struggled to 148), and a lot of rather prominent schools would not have been in. Including at least three recent Finalists!

I don’t just wait for late entries. I telephone last year’s entrants and more. “We never got the entry form” is a regulation response, and I’m sure it’s often true. The operation takes maybe ten days. In the best of all possible households everything would be sorted and typed up by half way through October. My household isn’t like that. You might realistically hope for 20th October, but I’m afraid some time during half term is more the norm.

What else is there? Take entries in the summer term? Schools will say they can’t decide till September. Deadline 25th September? That might be worth a try. The schools who were going to meet the deadline will meet it anyway, and the telephone trawl can start six days earlier.

How did they cope when there were nearly 1000 entries? I suppose one answer is, fewer exams.

Richard Haddrell
Chief Conductor, Yateley Manor Schools Championship

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9325
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Gah, Five Ways should have chosen the Knockout group. :(

Neill Cooper
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Cumbria
Contact:

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 pm

I've now found a description on http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/0001/j.htm
"An update 25.10.00. At the extended closing date of 20th October, entries stood at 237. Two days later they were at 241, and there they seem to have stopped".

So I think I should accept the closing date(s) have been as they are now for a long time, and should stay as such. I thought they used to be earlier.

Andrew Camp
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Colwyn Bay

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Andrew Camp » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Rydal Penrhos Prep v The King's Chester.


Oh yeah, baby!
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Alexander Hardwick
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: National Schools Championships 2010-11

Post by Alexander Hardwick » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

.
Last edited by Alexander Hardwick on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply