Congratulations to Prince William and Princess Catherine!

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
James Byrne

Congratulations to Prince William and Princess Catherine!

Post by James Byrne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Thompson

Re: Congratulations to Prince William and Princess Catherine

Post by Rob Thompson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Personally, i slept through the ceremony. I thought it a much better use of my time
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm told that Mohammed Al Fayed will be toasting the Royal couple at the get together.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Didn't watch it, so neh :P
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 pm

My local pub opened up at 10:30am for the occasion and sold a very tasty special Royal Wedding beer. Hooray!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Well, I watched it and appreciated it, even if the miserable gits commenting before me didn't. :D

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Didn't watch it, so neh :P
Not to worry: you'll get another chance. And another. And another. Meanwhile, the fillip the wedding provides to the moribund economy has just started:
The souvenir makers and vendors are having a field day. The faces of the two are on 3.5 million mugs, plus plates, key rings, bottle openers, tea towels, cricket caps, t-shirts, refrigerators - and "Kiss me Kate" beer cans.

Tastelessness takes the ultimate plunge, with "Crown Jewels, Condoms of Distinction", who market their products thus:

"Combining the strength of a Prince with the yielding sensitivity of a Princess-to-be, Crown Jewels promises a royal union of pleasure. Truly a King among condoms." They are: "Presented in in a timeless heirloom collectors box."
Source: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=24529

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Well, I watched it and appreciated it, even if the miserable gits commenting before me didn't. :D
I appreciated it too. I'm glad we agree about something!

And Happy Birthday, Alex

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:55 pm

As this article mentions, she's not Princess Catherine, rather like the groom's mother was never (officially) Princess Diana.
David Sedgwick wrote: And Happy Birthday, Alex
З Днем Народження. Congratulations on any newly acquired freedoms because of your age. Some of them aren't necessarily much to get excited about.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:36 pm

Richard Thursby wrote:As this article mentions, she's not Princess Catherine, rather like the groom's mother was never (officially) Princess Diana.
We must keep these subtle distinctions in mind when we bow and scrape before them.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 pm

I dislike everything our so called royals stand for, sheer greed and excess at the expense of the public. Lets not forget they are technically German in origin.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:I dislike everything our so called royals stand for, sheer greed and excess at the expense of the public. Lets not forget they are technically German in origin.
Hanoverian, actually - the modern state of Germany very comfortably post-dates George I's coming to the throne.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Hanoverian, actually.

IOW deposed German royalty and most clowns who adore them, think they are British.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:44 pm

As a republican i never watched a second of the marrage when charles married Diane i walked 6 miles to work so i could avoid that wedding
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 am

Although I wouldn't deliberately go out of my way to watch a Royal wedding or visit a Royal palace, etc., I do think that having a Royal Family is good for the country in respect of the prestige and wealth they bring in from other nations through trade, tourism, etc. The overall image of the Royal Family is probably more appreciated by those from outside of these isles, who see them as a British way of life - and just as anyone from the UK who visits Rome wants to see the Coliseum or who visits Sydney wants to see the Opera House, then many of those who come to our country have Buckingham Palace / Windsor Castle, etc., on their 'must see' list. Yes, many in this country might be against having a Royal Family, but let them also put forward a viable alternative, not only as a ruler for the country, but one which is held in as high an esteem by those abroad.

Simon - although I don't profess to "adore" the Royal Family, why should those who do be classed by you as "clowns" just because they have a different point of view to yours ? I can appreciate that people will be both for and against the Royal Family but I wouldn't insult those who have an alternative opinion to my own.