British Chess Championships 2011

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
cjdemooi

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by cjdemooi » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

Peter Wells has joined the line up so we now have 10 Grandmasters rated above 2500

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 am

I'm trying to attract 1 more GM so we have a full (dirty?) dozen so hopefully will be able to report soon

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

cjdemooi wrote:I'm trying to attract 1 more GM so we have a full (dirty?) dozen so hopefully will be able to report soon
Any restriction on rating and do they have to be English or is Scottish/Irish acceptable?

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 am

At my time of life, I'm not fussy and will gratefully consider all offers :-/

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 pm

cjdemooi wrote:Peter Wells has joined the line up so we now have 10 Grandmasters rated above 2500
A shame there is no IT spend on the web site or the live coverage, so I am afraid it will difficult to do it all justice for those of us not going to the event :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 12, 2011 6:16 pm

James Byrne wrote:There won't be relay coverage like there was last year? If so, that is incredibly dissapointing!
There will be coverage but it's an afterthought that just "occurs" like it does most years - it isn't given anywhere near enough general consideration, publicity or marketing
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Thu May 12, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live Server box is provided FREE as usual
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
James Byrne wrote:There won't be relay coverage like there was last year? If so, that is incredibly dissapointing!
There will be coverage but it's an afterthought that just "occurs" like it does most years - it isn't given anywhere near enough general consideration, publicity or marketing
I think "afterthought" is a bit harsh, really. I'm sure the expenses of those on site are catered for in the budget.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I think "afterthought" is a bit harsh, really. I'm sure the expenses of those on site are catered for in the budget.
Ok, so who is in charge of IT for the British say for IT resources on site say wireless and where do the laptop and servers come from etc?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I think "afterthought" is a bit harsh, really. I'm sure the expenses of those on site are catered for in the budget.
Ok, so who is in charge of IT for the British say for IT resources on site say wireless and where do the laptop and servers come from etc?
No one is, specifically. The impression I get is that Dave Clayton is Chief Tecchie, with Steve Connor on website duty. Whether that counts as "in charge of IT for the British" as you put it, I don't know. I assume they speak to Dave Welch, and they get everything sorted that they either need or can acquire within the budget.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Thu May 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Ideally we'd have some sort of internet channel, like a Youtube broadcast in combination with the usual excellent commentary and board moves. You could have an overhead camera like they do in golf, whereby a commentator focuses on one position for a bit and then moves to another one say in Major Open- ideally the camera would focus in when a person is about to move. When nothing noticeable is happening, which does seem unlikely given the amount of boards to look at, there could be interviews outside the playing area. The camera wouldn't be distracting if it were on the ceiling roof, you don't see the golfers complaining. Obviously the cost is an issue, but it would be a sound investment as this would attract more people to the game and attract sponsorship.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Chris J Greatorix wrote:Ideally we'd have some sort of internet channel, like a Youtube broadcast in combination with the usual excellent commentary and board moves. You could have an overhead camera like they do in golf, whereby a commentator focuses on one position for a bit and then moves to another one say in Major Open- ideally the camera would focus in when a person is about to move. When nothing noticeable is happening, which does seem unlikely given the amount of boards to look at, there could be interviews outside the playing area. The camera wouldn't be distracting if it were on the ceiling roof, you don't see the golfers complaining. Obviously the cost is an issue, but it would be a sound investment as this would attract more people to the game and attract sponsorship.
Yes, but how many people and how much sponsorship? Sponsors don't operate in a vacuum; they need some assurance that they'll get a reasonable return on their investment.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Thu May 12, 2011 10:26 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Chris J Greatorix wrote:Ideally we'd have some sort of internet channel, like a Youtube broadcast in combination with the usual excellent commentary and board moves. You could have an overhead camera like they do in golf, whereby a commentator focuses on one position for a bit and then moves to another one say in Major Open- ideally the camera would focus in when a person is about to move. When nothing noticeable is happening, which does seem unlikely given the amount of boards to look at, there could be interviews outside the playing area. The camera wouldn't be distracting if it were on the ceiling roof, you don't see the golfers complaining. Obviously the cost is an issue, but it would be a sound investment as this would attract more people to the game and attract sponsorship.
Yes, but how many people and how much sponsorship? Sponsors don't operate in a vacuum; they need some assurance that they'll get a reasonable return on their investment.
Simple, we loan the equipment needed and see how it goes. We'll then have a set of numbers for that Championship. With good perusion, stating that with the sponsorship we could get even more numbers we may have a chance. Once a working relationship is established, it may come to a point where the equipment could be bought outright. If it turns out a failure, then we have only borrowed the equipment, and in fact have probably laid down excellent coverage for that championship and have interested Joe public to the game. I know Chess players by their nature want everything calculated out before going into something, but if you don't try you don't get. Hopefully I've laid out the case where the loss is minimal and the gain is enormous.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Last year there was a camera on at least one of the games. I remember watching it in the bar while ordering pizza. The bar staff were watching it too. Not sure if they were following it... The impression I get is that Dave is adding to his collection of gadgets. Online commentary came for the first time last year. The old demo boards were replaced with electronic boards. So things are definitely getting better.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Last year there was a camera on at least one of the games. I remember watching it in the bar while ordering pizza. The bar staff were watching it too. Not sure if they were following it... The impression I get is that Dave is adding to his collection of gadgets. Online commentary came for the first time last year. The old demo boards were replaced with electronic boards. So things are definitely getting better.
Needs free on-site wireless to be honest but is it available, as before nobody knows :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard