Drinking at the board.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

Drinking at the board.

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Any views? My team in 4NCL use to do it much heavier than we do now. But my London League side Drunken Knights , still love a pint!
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Carl Hibbard

Re: Drinking at the board.

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Any views? My team in 4NCL use to do it much heavier than we do now. But my London League side Drunken Knights , still love a pint!
As do I, don't see a problem with beer at the board here
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Curtis

Post by John Curtis » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Perfect subject for my first post! Beer and chess go very well together in my opinion. I try to avoid drinking (while playing) at the 4NCL, unless we get past the first time control in a placid position, when I may have a pint. League and tournament chess is different, I'm rarely seen without a beer. I'm trying to cut down this season and keep to 4 pints during a game. Can't say it's improving my chess much tho!

J

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Watch out - it might be the next thing FIDE try to ban. :(

see the Stewart Reuben question in http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt125.pdf :(

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Chess and beer are perfect partners. I play for the Drunken Knights and i've never yet met one that was drunk whilst playing. The point surely is to enjoy the game... and the pint, so why not do it at the same time? :D
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 am

I've been very close to getting drunk once, I foolishly decided that Whiskey would be a good breakfast before the 2007 Terafinals! :P I remember talking to my first opponents' Dad that morning before the game, and I tried to remain still, but he got suspicious! Didn't stop his 10 year old son from losing to me though :wink:

Of course, that was back in the day, when I was a lightweight, and now it wouldn't be physically possible for me to get drunk during a game (unless I started drinking a couple of hours beforehand, of course!).

I like playing against old skinny men who drink a few pints, I'd love to see one keel over one day and default the game by incapacitation (if that's even a word!) :P
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.