Do you believe in God

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Neill Cooper

Re: Do you believe in God

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 pm

A few years ago I ran some chess festivals at my church in Croydon. The most popular had over 80 entries with almost half from the church. It was to that event that I got the Bishop of Croydon to present the trophies and I got a photo of him holding a large bishop, which made the front cover of the diocesan magazine.

Details and photos at http://www.cchess.org.uk/caterham/emmanuel3.html

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:It was to that event that I got the Bishop of Croydon to present the trophies
When he arrived, did he move diagonally? :D

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 am

David Robertson wrote:If you pray while you play, is that cheating?

I guess if it were, your prayers would necessarily go unanswered.

Hence those who believe in God don't pray during play, leaving the rest of us to seek divine intervention. :)
I've always wondered about this. Surely, it doesn't apply just to chess.

Shouldn't anyone who thanks God in their post victory speech be immediately disqualified? :wink:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:12 am

"Alistair Crowley played and I remember reading somewhere or other, that he was no patzer."

You can find some of his games on the internet, although of course you don't know if they are genuine.

He used to live in Redhill, so I did wonder if he had been a member of the club, but it appears not.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:35 pm

GOD is real unless declared integer. FACT

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Richard Cowan wrote:GOD is real unless declared integer. FACT
GOD is real unless declared imaginary. FACT.

:D

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 am

In answer to George Szaszvari's question about James Lyon, I did not know what denomination he was, as we never talked about it, although if I hazard a guess I would say he was more on the evangelical side. Actually I did not know James very well, although he was part of the duty roster at the YMCA chess club, and played for BBC in the London League, and YMCA in the Middlesex League.

I certainly talked to church people about chess more, than I did chess people about church, and for the other people who played in the All Souls chess team I mentioned, I would guess that none of them had played a competitive chess match for 10 years, and that none of them has played subsequently.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Both wrong, the Devil is in the details :evil:
GOD is real unless a (non zero) part of it/him/her is imaginary :)

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:
Both wrong, the Devil is in the details :evil:
GOD is real unless a (non zero) part of it/him/her is imaginary :)
Are you excluding the possibility that GOD might be p-adic?

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Malcolm Clarke wrote:In answer to George Szaszvari's question about James Lyon, I did not know what denomination he was, as we never talked about it, although if I hazard a guess I would say he was more on the evangelical side. Actually I did not know James very well, although he was part of the duty roster at the YMCA chess club, and played for BBC in the London League, and YMCA in the Middlesex League.

I certainly talked to church people about chess more, than I did chess people about church, and for the other people who played in the All Souls chess team I mentioned, I would guess that none of them had played a competitive chess match for 10 years, and that none of them has played subsequently.
Thanks Malcolm. Concerning James, "evangelical" sounds right, but the "question" was actually more about the
name of the teacher/campanologist, IIRC an older bespectacled person near retirement, slim build, thinning on
top. Not that it really matters, but it's just nice to know in case one sees a reference or comes across other
people who knew him, to connect up some dots and tie up a few loose ends in the memory banks... it still blows
my mind that this forum gives us the opportunity to do all this, something unimaginable when I moved.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 pm

I don't believe in God - I believe in rocket fuel on the moon instead!

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 pm

In response to George Szaszvari's post, my understanding was that I had stated in a previous post that I was unable to answer the specific question that he asked, but mentioned James's name in the reply. However I was then asked a question about James which I responded to.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Malcolm Clarke wrote:In response to George Szaszvari's post, my understanding was that I had stated in a previous post that I was unable to answer the specific question that he asked, but mentioned James's name in the reply. However I was then asked a question about James which I responded to.
Understood Malcolm. Your input is always appreciated.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Hello,

Just over a year ago, I wrote to a philosophy email list called Chora, about the injustice being done to the memory of William Tyndale, that can be found here

Last night BBC 2, via Melvin Bragg, went a long way, in righting an ancient wrong, by giving Tyndale his rightful place in the history of the English language.

I very much doubt, whether it had anything anything to do with my email to Chora, but if it did, thank you whoever.

You can watch Bragg's documentary here
Last edited by PeterTurland on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:27 pm

PeterTurland wrote:You can watch Bragg's documentary here
Not outside the UK, you can't. Parochial b----y BBC.

BTW, I see Garry Kasparov has decided to exile himself from Russia for the time being. Further details here. Now why would he want to flee from a country run by that nice professing Christian Mr Putin?
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)