News of the World

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

News of the World

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm

How many more people will be implicated by this scandal before it comes to an end?

How does one know if ones phone has been hacked?

If no messages have been deleted or altered then how else would you know?
Last edited by John Upham on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: News of the World

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 pm

John,

The especially gory death of someone close to you seems called for. :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Brendan, the smiley isn't really appropriate.

EDIT: In case anyone thinks that I was saying remove the smiley, I realise you were trying to make clear you were joking, but even cracking a joke on that sort of subject isn't really appropriate. And no, I'm not trying to censor anything here, but I'm saying that jokes on some subjects will be offensive to some people.
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:24 pm

It does appear that this scandal will run and run for some time to come.

Will it impact on Murdoch negatively in the end? Opinions?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Brendan, the smiley isn't really appropriate.

EDIT: In case anyone thinks that I was saying remove the smiley, I realise you were trying to make clear you were joking, but even cracking a joke on that sort of subject isn't really appropriate. And no, I'm not trying to censor anything here, but I'm saying that jokes on some subjects will be offensive to some people.

I have removed my initial comment as I agree it was not appropriate.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 pm

John Upham wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Brendan, the smiley isn't really appropriate.

I have removed my initial comment as I agree it was not appropriate.
Christopher,

Some behaviour is so appalling that humour is the only defence.

John,

Thanks for stranding me high and dry.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Only the things that matter are worth making jokes about. I agree with Brendan here.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:John,

Oh, you were responding to something John said? I'm confused now.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
John,

Apologies for that. Like yourself I was trying to add humour to an appalling situation. Maybe I would need to be a professional comedian to try that again: they seem to get away with it!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:21 pm

John Upham wrote:It does appear that this scandal will run and run for some time to come.

Will it impact on Murdoch negatively in the end? Opinions?
It already has. The only question is how bad things ultimately get for him......

People are no longer scared of Rupe - and as we have seen in the Arab world recently and E Europe a generation ago, once that genie is out it is hard to put back :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 pm

What I would like to see is
a) as many journalists, editors and proprietors arrested, charged, tried and punished appropriately as it will be possible to identify who were involved, whatever paper they worked for
b) ditto private investigators
c) ditto policemen who took bungs, passed on information, looked the other way, obstructed enquiries, or failed to carry out their duties to the expected standard, irrespective of rank
d) ditto politicians who took bungs (of whatever form) to look the other way or obstruct enquiries, whether currently involved in politics or not, of whatever status
e) ditto lawyers

I would not be surprised at all if Rebekah Brookes or James Murdoch faced charges. They have thrown Andy Coulson off the back of the troika, time they faced the wolves themselves.

In the future I would like to see a fully independent media regulator, responsible for regulating all journalism, print or electronic against ethical standards. The regulator would have the powers to initiate investigations, compel witnesses, demand approriate apologies in print, award damages and in extreme cases, bar from practising. The regulator would also be able to set standards (within areas laid out by statute) which journalists, editors and publishers would be expected to adhere to. I would expect "public interest" to remain a defence for activities which normally would be viewed as unethical or illegal, but would expect "public interest" to be defined in statute and investigated rigorously.

I would expect tighter legal definition regarding concentration of ownership.

I would hope that the Murdoch bid for BSkyB did not succeed, unless News International divested of its print titles and I would not expect it to succeed if serious ethical concerns were to be demonstrated against its directors.

I am pleased to see the Guardian's investigations bringing the unethical conduct of the press to the current point of crisis, as nothing else would have succeeded in shifting the majority of Labour and Conservative politicians from their previous craven obsequiousness towards the press. It has been apparent for two decades (if not longer) that elements of the press are rampantly corrupt and are willing to suppress almost any ethical concern to the needs of the profit motive.

Another difficult element of our constitution that I feel should be visited is that of donations to political parties. Again it will probably take another monstrous scandal before that particular Augean stable is cleaned.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Btw., I should like to say that I do feel some sympathy for the News of the World staff who are to lose their jobs; most will have been entirely innocent.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Sadly I think the tabloids will survive. The British public are hypocrites, they'll still want to read tittle tattle about celebs and gossip. Buy a broadsheet newspaper instead.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:It already has. The only question is how bad things ultimately get for him......
The hue and cry will die down. Then it will be business as usual. Murdoch is too deeply enmeshed with the corrupt and decrepit British establishment.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:11 pm

I know that is the cynical "Chomskian" view. I also happen to think it is wrong-headed in this instance. But we will see :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)