Most Annoying Behaviour?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LozCooper

Re: Most Annoying Behaviour?

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
To balance it up, I played an American veteran (who spent a long time in England) who behaved perfectly until he was a pawn down and then started to talk all the time, asking how the clock worked and stuff like that. It didn't work.
The clock or the distracting tactics? :lol:

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:32 pm

I now firmly believe the worst situation is when you come up against someone who smells...unfortunately this is all too common
I agree. There was a player in the open at Middlesbrough Congress who stunk of B.O. Medical conditions apart there is no good reason. I cannot be the only one who noticed ? Chess players in general are far too polite and wouldn't say " you stink mate take a bath" .

Is there a policy on this from the ECF ? Could we ask controllers to address this issue or do I need to take a peg/small gas mask to every congress ?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:26 pm

"To balance it up, I played an American veteran (who spent a long time in England) who behaved perfectly until he was a pawn down and then started to talk all the time, asking how the clock worked and stuff like that. It didn't work.

The clock or the distracting tactics?"

Oops! a bit careless - the latter. The opponent claimed to be unfamiliar with DGTs, although as we were several rounds into the tournament, I didn't believe him.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm the second highest rated Stone in the world. Was hoping to become the strongest by the top Stone (Ray Stone Canada 2321) dropping as he gets older. However he is now inactive. No idea how I am going to get those extra 91 points. That's pretty annoying! There is a new Stone on the scene but I think my second place is safe for now. My wife played for King's Head on the Capelle trip. She hadn't played any game at all in 15 years (not even a friendly game). At a rate of 2 games every 15 years it will take some time to get a rating (and these weren't rated anyway).

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 pm

I now firmly believe the worst situation is when you come up against someone who smells...unfortunately this is all too common
I would think so, since apparently only about 2 per cent of the population suffer from anosmia. :) But, yes, I remember in a juniors versus seniors match the junior next to me was very unhappy about the garlic breath of his opponent. I think he was relieved when he eventually lost simply to get away from it.

Scott Freeman

Post by Scott Freeman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Perhaps it should be written into the laws of chess that tournament organisers have to provide suitable bathing facilities for smelly players, of which there are more than there should be by the sound of it. This is a development of the idea I had to open up and fill the CCF Church's baptistry during an event in the hot months to let people cool down between moves!

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 pm

My latest one for the list of gamesmanship is the head shaker and chin stroker, alternating between the 2 non stop.

Is there a penalty for punching them on the nose? :x :)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes. That would be annoying behaviour. :D

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Simon Dixon >Is there a penalty for punching them on the nose?<

Not if your clock is going. If it is digital and ticking you receive two extra minutes. However, be careful. If you miss and hit them on the chin, you lose the game.

But to be serious, bathing facilities should only be provided for women.

Stewart Reuben

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:But to be serious, bathing facilities should only be provided for women.
And in Hastings, mandatory early morning dips in the sea.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Of course Sheffield has gone to ridiculous lengths for us in this regard. Two Olympic size swimmig pools and a river across the road.

Stewart Reuben

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Glad to hear this, I was concerned that some chess players might have an adverse reaction to holy water :)

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 pm

I was guilty of being annoying once....(I KNOW - how can that be??).

A fellow junior girl player complained about me to the arbiter for...

crunching my Polos too loudly.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 am

Sarah de Lisle wrote:I was guilty of being annoying once....(I KNOW - how can that be??).

A fellow junior girl player complained about me to the arbiter for...

crunching my Polos too loudly.
And you didn't offer her one, you little devil you. :)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:32 am

Allegedly Gerald Abrahams at one time used to suck oranges noisily during play. So what? Well, oranges were hard to come by just after the war.

Stewart Reuben