British Championships Chess Coaching

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Sabrina Chevannes

Re: British Championships Chess Coaching

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi Chris

Yes it is confusing as I do have many roles, but that is because I do a lot for different people involved in chess! Just for clarificaton, the NGCC was ran in my role as ECF Manager of Women's Chess and is an official ECF title, as is the English Women's Rapidplay. You can find their titles on the ECF site here: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=11175

It was being ran by the Chevannes Chess Academy because it actually needed some funding to get set up and I don't have any money myself and nor does Jovanka so we relied on funds for the academy to pay for the venues, equipment, prizes etc.

This is not the first time this sort of thing has been done.

If you want to discuss mixing up ECF roles and tournaments being run by other organisations, how does the John Robinson Trust Grand Prix work? There are a series of tournaments that are being run, but are they all ECF events and are they all being run by ECF officials who are acting under that title at the time and not under another organisation? I don't think so. And those are the events that are compulsary to all juniors who wish to try and get selected to play for England in the Euro Youth Championships!

If people are so strongly criticising a separate organisation "tagging on" to an ECF event, then do people care to look at the JRT Gran Prix and explain that?

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Good grief stop arguing you lot, you sound like a bunch of old women(*awaits the jobsworth who takes offence*). Haven't you got anything better to do with your precious lives than to attack people behind a computer screen? Alot of you are probably incapable of being able to articulate yourselfs as you appear in writing- Alot of you are not volunteers like Sabrina, Jovanka, Alex Mcfarlane, Alex Holowczak, Lawrence, Sean et al and seem to have too much time on your hands, might I suggest you spend your lives constructively in the real world by volunteering positively to UK chess?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:If you want to discuss mixing up ECF roles and tournaments being run by other organisations, how does the John Robinson Trust Grand Prix work? There are a series of tournaments that are being run, but are they all ECF events and are they all being run by ECF officials who are acting under that title at the time and not under another organisation? I don't think so. And those are the events that are compulsary to all juniors who wish to try and get selected to play for England in the Euro Youth Championships!

If people are so strongly criticising a separate organisation "tagging on" to an ECF event, then do people care to look at the JRT Gran Prix and explain that?
Absolutely right.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am

jhouska .. Yes, as you said, it is NOW clear what you meant, but it wasn't to begin with - and that is what caused the problem.

Take offence if you wish, but the fact is that you did make a mistake (as you stated above) which has caused much of the discussion on this thread. - and that error did make it seem to many, rightly or wrongly, that you were promoting your own scheme as part of the programme of events which were taking place at the British Championship venue.

You can seek me out if you wish at Sheffield but don't expect me to comment about any such matters with yourself - if I want to discuss any ideas I will go though the officials channels and contact the relevant ECF officer.

However, as you have now confirmed that this unofficial coaching scheme is not going to take place at the Championship venue, the matter is closed.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:41 am

No, because he is paid via the John Robinson Trust. It is free to the juniors who wish to be coached by him. By contrast, CCA charges a fee for its coaching, because it's private.
So why would anyone want to pay for private coaching when there is free coaching at the venue. More money than sense I suppose.
People are not being critical or negative about the idea of the In-tournament training; it is the way that it was advertised as being "AT the British Championships", which gave many people the understandable impression that the coaching was to take place within the venue of the Championships
That is the impression I got.

Suffice to say I can most certainly confirm that no coaching will be taking place at the venue. The organisers have said no and we respect their wishes. There should be no further discussion on that point.
Apart from the official coaching that has always taken place and run by Mr Nixon.

However, as you have now confirmed that this unofficial coaching scheme is not going to take place at the Championship venue, the matter is closed.
I second that.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 am

err I don't think it's correct to ban people being coached in the analysis room. Surely "analysis " is a form of coaching in itself?- Therefore activities in that room are by definition coaching. Anyway I'll repeat my post above:

"Good grief stop arguing you lot, you sound like a bunch of old women(*awaits the jobsworth who takes offence*). Haven't you got anything better to do with your precious lives than to attack people behind a computer screen? Alot of you are probably incapable of being able to articulate yourselfs as you appear in writing- Alot of you are not volunteers like Sabrina, Jovanka, Alex Mcfarlane, Alex Holowczak, Lawrence, Sean et al and seem to have too much time on your hands, might I suggest you spend your lives constructively in the real world by volunteering positively to UK chess?"

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 am

Is it closed? We have opened up a question about "promoting own schemes" as part of an official event talking about the JRT. What about looking at http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk and seeing a link to the AMCA (Andrew Martin Chess Academy). Isn't that promoting his own scheme through an official ECF channel?
Simon, you boldly stated that the ECf cannot do this, for legal issues etc... but are they not clearly doing this here?

And your comment about more money than sense.... well.. Nick the poor person is the only coach for hundreds of competitors, I am not sure that he can cope with all that somehow. This coaching is an alternative as it allows a structured format and where the students can prepare for the games. Nick Nixon is available for analysis. This is just another option for those that wish to be guaranteed coaching time every day.

By the way, I think Loz is still waiting for you to send him your coaching credentials.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am

Simon Dixon wrote: So why would anyone want to pay for private coaching when there is free coaching at the venue
As a player in the British, admittedly in the second half, I will probably have to face a number of junior players. I would be rather more worried about what Sabrina or Jovanka (in particular) might cook up for the use of my opponent than Nick Nixon. It's my general impression that Nick's sessions are aimed at improving the standard of play at a lower level than competitors in the British proper or even the Major Open.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:00 am

Simon, you boldly stated that the ECf cannot do this, for legal issues etc... but are they not clearly doing this here?
Yes, I stated the above in so many words. The difference here is Mr Martin is ECF accredited, CRB checked etc. You are more than welcome to do the same, ie go through the necessary checks, if you want to join the list of ECF accredited coaches.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:26 am

I would be rather more worried about what Sabrina or Jovanka (in particular) might cook up for the use of my opponent than Nick Nixon.
LOL! the thing about chess is, no matter how well trained, anyone can blunder. The other problem is, new strategy takes time to sink in, it is like using a new tool for the first time, takes time to get used to it. Players will usually experience a slump in form until they get used to using new strategy.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:15 am

To me this is very simple and should have been resolved quickly

1. Everybody thinks this is a 'praiseworthy initiative'
2. The ECF should try to allow it to go ahead, but you cannot just ignore legal issues
3. Sabrina is given guidance on writing her advert, this might be as simple as just removing the line "This coaching has been approved by the organisers as it is encouraging juniors to play and develop their chess."
4. The end

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 am

Matthew Turner wrote:4. The end
I do hope so :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am

Simon Dixon wrote:
Yes, I stated the above in so many words. The difference here is Mr Martin is ECF accredited, CRB checked etc. You are more than welcome to do the same, ie go through the necessary checks, if you want to join the list of ECF accredited coaches.

I just wish that you would learn to read before continuously posting incorrect information. I AM CRB checked, I AM ECF Accredited and have been for 6 years. My names has mysteriously disappeared off the list and I have been through this with Andrew several time over the last couple of years.

Basically what you are saying is that the ECF have these strict rules which they must abide by, but they can bend it for whoever they like when they feel like it!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Someone asked(that Simon Dixon) why would someone want a private coach over free coaching? Is that not a stupid statement. The same way even when you got free school dinners some people brought packed lunch?

I do not even know who Nick Nixon is. I like to think I know a fair amount of people in British chess and most know me , albeit , for the wrong reasons.

If I was facing someone like Arkell(cant think of any caro players off top of head whilst running late for work), then Someone like Jovanka would be great use in prep+ other openings.

I think asking why would you have a private coach is kind of weird. I remember when you had numerous coaches like Lalic etc charging like 40-50/hour 5-10 years ago to do morning sessions. I think the ECF's coaching use to be sort of private and charged etc.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:

I just wish that you would learn to read before continuously posting incorrect information. I AM CRB checked, I AM ECF Accredited and have been for 6 years. My names has mysteriously disappeared off the list and I have been through this with Andrew several time over the last couple of years.

Basically what you are saying is that the ECF have these strict rules which they must abide by, but they can bend it for whoever they like when they feel like it!
I can only go by the names on the current list, and you are not on it. If you look up Reg No 3 it explains the conditions you have to meet. The list of accredited coaches is regularly updated. Maybe your Enhanced CRB Clearance needs updating, it has to be less than 3 years old. Anyway I am sure you know what information is required by the ECF to become accredited.