British Championships Chess Coaching

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Carl Hibbard

Re: British Championships Chess Coaching

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:57 pm

My patience ran out and I have banned Alan for 7 days
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Carl,
Well done.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh joy!!! Does that mean I can post again?

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Thank goodness!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:My patience ran out and I have banned Alan for 7 days
[like]

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Carol Williams wrote

Ahhh - A sigh of relief :D

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
[like]
Haha! I too found myself looking for the 'like' button :lol:

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 am

Or,as I just posted somewhere in facebook land: How can I replace such regular doses of antagonism at such short notice? I know I'll watch some episodes of the Big Bang Theory. Sheldon Cooper should help fill the void

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 am

Keith Arkell wrote: Sheldon Cooper should help fill the void
No relation, as far as I know :oops:

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Unless the CCA expect the ECF to cover their room hire cost for private coaching, I don't see how they can avoid paying for their own facilities. So I fail to see how alleged nit pickers can be held responsible for costing the CCA more money.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:Unless the CCA expect the ECF to cover their room hire cost for private coaching, I don't see how they can avoid paying for their own facilities. So I fail to see how alleged nit pickers can be held responsible for costing the CCA more money.
My understanding was that they hoped that areas such as the analysis room might be available for use, especially with analysis of games played that day.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Loz Cooper said
My understanding was that they hoped that areas such as the analysis room might be available for use, especially with analysis of games played that day.
I imagined that would have been the case, you wouldn't want to do preparation in public but games are best gone over as soon as possible, especially with youngsters. So not only will room hire for post game analysis cost the team extra, unless the room is really close by, it won't be as satisfactory from a coaching point of view. Since other coaches will be able to analyse with their pupils in the analysis room this is a real shame.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:30 pm

michele clack wrote:Since other coaches will be able to analyse with their pupils in the analysis room this is a real shame.
If a Nelsonian eye has been turned to coaching at past championships, it is indeed extremely unfortunate the CCA has found itself disadvantaged. Arguably due to superior marketing efforts. But they have already had an apology from the ECF Chief Executive, albeit probably in his personal capacity. I doubt any ECF official could go further on a public forum.

I would have liked a clearer statement that rules will be clarified and seen to be applied fairly in the future. But since the thread had become quire fractious, I was willing to drop the discussion and suggest it took place behind closed doors at Sheffield.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Michelle

Yes, we were told that analysing in the analysis room wouldn't have been a problem as everyone analyses in there and there are always coaches in there who have come along and charging for it and it was never an issue. In fact, it was even mentioned on here by the organisers that it again was not an issue - the only problem was that they did not want the coaching to be seen as associated with the British or the ECF, which is fine, as it is not.

However, since we have had such negativity from many people on here, saying that I should be paying the ECF for the use of the venue etc etc and we have had no support from our home director on the matter, as he stated that we should not use the analysis room, despite the organisers of the British saying it is Ok, I felt that we would not be welcome and that those who have been negative about the whole thing would try to cause problems for me. Me, I can just about handle it, although the consistency is really wearing me away, but it is the students - they are the ones playing and I will not let things like this affect their game, so I have hired a meeting room that is available to us everyday.

Previously, I was only planning on hiring a meeting room for the group sessions we wish to organise and prepare in each other's rooms and then analyse in the analysis room as soon as the students finish, but now, I have had to hire one out for the entire time. Yes it is rather annoying that it is not in the venue either, so it is disruptive for the students.

I am very upset that the children will be disadvatanged because of all this. Yes the cost was extremely annoying and I am running out of funds left for anything, but the main concern is that due to this thread, the children's coaching service has been disrupted, which is a real shame.

I agree with Paul regarding the consistency with the treatment. As far as I am aware, this is the first time any such coach has had to go through such a process. Coaches go to the British every year, but never have they been told they have to be accredited nor do they have to hire their own venue.
I am wondering, why is it just my team that has been put through all of this?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:However, since we have had such negativity from many people on here, saying that I should be paying the ECF for the use of the venue etc etc and we have had no support from our home director on the matter, as he stated that we should not use the analysis room, despite the organisers of the British saying it is Ok
Given that the British Championships is not an ECF event (it's run on behalf of all home federations), and that the managers of the British Championships have said it is ok for you to coach in the analysis room I would ignore what the ECF home director says and use the analysis room just like all the other coaches will do.