British Championships Chess Coaching

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Adam Raoof

Re: British Championships Chess Coaching

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Sabrina Chevannes wrote:However, since we have had such negativity from many people on here, saying that I should be paying the ECF for the use of the venue etc etc and we have had no support from our home director on the matter, as he stated that we should not use the analysis room, despite the organisers of the British saying it is Ok
Given that the British Championships is not an ECF event (it's run on behalf of all home federations), and that the managers of the British Championships have said it is ok for you to coach in the analysis room I would ignore what the ECF home director says and use the analysis room just like all the other coaches will do.
Exactly.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: ...... the British Championships is not an ECF event (it's run on behalf of all home federations)
As I've stated previously on this Forum, that statement is not correct. Nor is a statement quoted in a post by Mike Truran which seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

The British Championships are an ECF event run by the ECF for which the ECF takes the financial responsibility.

Under the terms of the British Isles Co-Ordinating Committee Agreement (which I've posted twice on this Forum), the eligibility regulations are specified (and hence cannot be altered unilaterally by the ECF) and the other British Isles Federations have the right to nominate players for the British Championship itself. In return the other Federations recognise the winners of the various Championship events as British Champions.

The respective responsibilities of the Congress Manager(s), the Director of Home Chess, the Board and Council are entirely a matter for the ECF.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 pm

The statement I quoted (and deleted in the light of Sean's editing of his own post) was from the ECF website on http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=11175:

The British Championships (organised by the ECF on licence from the BICC)

So if the ECF's own website is incorrect I suggest it be corrected.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: ...... the British Championships is not an ECF event (it's run on behalf of all home federations)
As I've stated previously on this Forum, that statement is not correct. Nor is a statement quoted in a post by Mike Truran which seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

The British Championships are an ECF event run by the ECF for which the ECF takes the financial responsibility.

Under the terms of the British Isles Co-Ordinating Committee Agreement (which I've posted twice on this Forum), the eligibility regulations are specified (and hence cannot be altered unilaterally by the ECF) and the other British Isles Federations have the right to nominate players for the British Championship itself. In return the other Federations recognise the winners of the various Championship events as British Champions.

The respective responsibilities of the Congress Manager(s), the Director of Home Chess, the Board and Council are entirely a matter for the ECF.
I don't think that anything you have said contradicts my statement. The BICCA allows the ECF to run the event on behalf of the home federations. The ECF takes financial responsibility for the event.

In any case, it is perhaps an irrelevant discussion as the ECF home director now appears to be saying that CCA should ignore him and use the analysis room after all. Happy days.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't know how relevant this is, but I spoke to a few parents today at Richmond Rapidplay (as always thank you to Susan and her team for a superb tournament!) and they were very interested in the coaching. None of them have as yet booked up for the British and are now considering coming. One has asked me to directly contact Sabrina which I have done.

I am unsure if you are continuing with the coaching Sabrina. Please can you confirm if it is defintely going ahead so that the parents concerned can decide if they want to come to the British.

Best wishes,

Krishna
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:I don't know how relevant this is, but I spoke to a few parents today at Richmond Rapidplay (as always thank you to Susan and her team for a superb tournament!) and they were very interested in the coaching.
Many thanks, Krishna. Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you again soon.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

I don't think that anything you have said contradicts my statement. The BICCA allows the ECF to run the event on behalf of the home federations. The ECF takes financial responsibility for the event.

In any case, it is perhaps an irrelevant discussion as the ECF home director now appears to be saying that CCA should ignore him and use the analysis room after all. Happy days.
This is indeed in danger of going off topic. Given the nature of the thread, that worries me less than it would with some other threads.

As the point seems to come up every few months or so, let me say (again):

1. The British Championships are an ECF event;
2. The ECF does not require the continuing agreement of the BICC in order to continue to organise and run the event.

I'll leave it there.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't really understand your comment in the light of what it appears to say on the ECF website but (as I don't really care that much either way) I'm happy to leave it there as well.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The statement I quoted (and deleted in the light of Sean's editing of his own post) was from the ECF website on http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=11175:

The British Championships (organised by the ECF on licence from the BICC)

So if the ECF's own website is incorrect I suggest it be corrected.
Thanks Mike. I wasn't attributing the statement to you, as I hope my original post made clear.

The statement is indeed completely wrong, as David Anderton explained at the BICC Meeting in Birmingham in January 2006.

Removing or correcting it is not my responsibility.

Edit: I've only just seen your most recent post, but I hope the above will serve as a response to that as well.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Yes, we were told that analysing in the analysis room wouldn't have been a problem as everyone analyses in there and there are always coaches in there who have come along and charging for it and it was never an issue.
I think the difference here is those coaches already have pupils who they train at home or at a local club, and they accompany them to tournaments, which they are perfectly entitled to do. If you already have a pupil playing in the BC, then I am sure no one would object to you using the analysis room on the same basis as everyone else.

Where the objection is likely to arise, not surprisingly, is turning up on the day with a view to attracting business.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 pm

As the Director legally and morally if not operationally responsible for this event, I have given sensible, accurate, and timely advice when requested to. I have been more than co-operative, and I continue to be so. The rather unnecessary personal nature of this whole thread could have been avoided if my initial advice had been heeded, but after that moment had passed, there was nothing more I could do as the issue had been taken out of my hands.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 pm

That is exactly what I have been doing the whole time! Never have I asked to "attract business" on the day. Since our coaching is to be professionally organised, I need everyone to confirm whether they are coming beforehand and I wil be doing the timetables by Wednesday, so that is the latest people can confirm.

I have emailed the people who have attended my events before and been coached by us before - they are already regular clients, so according to you, this should be OK. We have already provided this in-tournament training elsewhere and our students seem to enjoy it and that is why they have asked me to come along with them to the British. The letter was composed to give them options into which coaching package would suit them better.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm

they are already regular clients, so according to you, this should be OK.
Yep, that is fine. If not, I would like to see what anyone can do about it. For eg, what if the coach is also a parent.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 pm

This whole thread has now been flogged to death has it not?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:This whole thread has now been flogged to death has it not?
I detect a faint pulse. :lol: