BRITISH CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS - THE GAMES

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LozCooper

Re: BRITISH CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS - THE GAMES

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:49 pm

David Brock wrote:yep I know they are brothers but after 9 moves couldn't they at least try a little bit harder!!!!
Why? With the higher rated brother being black and five rounds still to go it seemed to make sense for both of them.

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Has Charlie Storey done a runner or was it a planned bye today?
Think,check and then Move !!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:52 pm

David Brock wrote:How do i get boards 7-14 games please
I think they are only showing 1-6. Yesterday it was 1-4. I tried a few links via 2seeitlive.com but I don't think there are any more games being broadcast in round 6.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:52 pm

David Brock wrote:Has Charlie Storey done a runner or was it a planned bye today?
I thought he withdrew after four rounds on 2/4.

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm

LozCooper wrote:
David Brock wrote:yep I know they are brothers but after 9 moves couldn't they at least try a little bit harder!!!!
Why? With the higher rated brother being black and five rounds still to go it seemed to make sense for both of them.
Loz hi surely Short Howell could have said that yesterday or Adams Howell today. I thought the idea was to turn up and actually try and play a proper game rather than protecting your own score. If I was playing my brother I would want to kick his backside and claim bragging rights-not just agree a shallow draw.

But hey maybe I just don't understand what it is to play chess at the top level. I always was under the impression it was a clash of minds to find out who was the best player. Surely if one won it would have put one of them in a great position!!
Think,check and then Move !!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:21 pm

David Brock wrote:
LozCooper wrote:
Loz hi surely Short Howell could have said that yesterday or Adams Howell today. I thought the idea was to turn up and actually try and play a proper game rather than protecting your own score. If I was playing my brother I would want to kick his backside and claim bragging rights-not just agree a shallow draw.

But hey maybe I just don't understand what it is to play chess at the top level. I always was under the impression it was a clash of minds to find out who was the best player. Surely if one won it would have put one of them in a great position!!
I think the most likely result was a draw and given that neither player plays professionally and has just played five days in succession a draw makes perfect sense.

The GMs aren't twins/brothers so there's no comparison.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Charlie has withdrawn.

The message of his withdrawl reached the control team third hand. His one hour video on how to become an arbiter obviously does not contain any instructions on how an arbiter should be informed of a withdrawal.

I do not believe that he has embarked on a book signing tour but I may be wrong :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Jones v Bates is interesting. I was surprised Jones was playing such an unusual sideline until I saw the game James Cobb v Bates in the database, where Richard previously tried 7...c4. James did not enter this line, but Jones has a real initiative for his trashed pawn structure. Looks dangerous.

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Charlie has withdrawn.

The message of his withdrawl reached the control team third hand. His one hour video on how to become an arbiter obviously does not contain any instructions on how an arbiter should be informed of a withdrawal.

I do not believe that he has embarked on a book signing tour but I may be wrong :D
I see that there was an arbiters course in Bradford recently - how come Geoff needed to stay overnight if all he had to do was show a 1 hour video? I presume that was the video referred to on his hotel bill.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:40 pm

if anyone is in contact with the commentary room, Andy's sound is broken. There is a screen full of irritated messages :(

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:41 pm

I think hawkins is better, but I see a draw. It looks to me like Gordon, Hebden and Jones are better (Jones a lot better). The mystery is board 1, what on earth is going on there?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:49 pm

I'd say you're understating how good Hawkins' position is, but otherwise I'd agree with your assessments.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:53 pm

I've decided Howell is clearly better too. White's pawn structure is much better, so Adams would need active pieces to compensate and I just don't see it.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Can Gordon really be better? OK White has a weakness on c3 but slightly more active pieces and a safer king. I'd arguably even take White, though I'd probably have called it equal.

Charlie Linford

Post by Charlie Linford » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Can't say I agree with the love being shown for either Hawkins' or Howell's positions. I'm not analysing with a computer, and maybe I put too much faith in the England 1 & 2, but Nigel looks to have an obvious plan of ...f5 and ...g5 followed by attacking the h-pawn, whilst the e5 pawn in the Adams game seems destined to drop off at some point.