D Fault

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gavin Strachan

D Fault

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Is D Fault the worst and most irritating player ever?

David Sedgwick

Re: D Fault

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:Is D Fault the worst and most irritating player ever?
"Controller, See" also causes a fair amount of irritation, but seems to vary a lot in availability and strength.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

He can be quite a pain, but luckily in our league most captains will inform you if Derek Edward Fault is playing that night. :lol: The only bit I don't like is then seeing if the informing captain minds if my player doesn't turn up or does that player need to turn up to claim the win. Most of the time they are happy to just hand over that board win.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Personally I find Mr Coin Jangles even more annoying, since he never seems willing to comply with your polite requests that he desist, because it's distracting. Apparently he and his friends have the right to make noise because this is a chess club, and you don't have the right to silence because you're not Bobby Fischer :'(

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I had the embarrassing experience a fortnight back in a league match of having my stomach/guts rumble so loudly that my opponent burst out laughing.

I have now requested The Boss (aka 'Er Indoors) that we avoid any dish including large quantities of beans on those nights when I have to play...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I wish I defaulted board 6 in a Birmingham League game last season.

What I actually did was play someone who, though my error alone, was not registered to play in the League. Had I have sent the e-mail, his actual registration was a trivial issue.

So by fielding an ineligible player, he lost the game, and the team got a -1 penalty for fielding him. I would have been better off defaulting!

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 am

Last season, after several years of trying, I finally managed to get the team of
I. McCulloch,
C. McCulloch,
A. McCulloch
and A. McCulloch to turn out in the Glasgow League.

Much to our disgust our opponents turned out to be,

D. Fault
D. Fault
D. Fault
D. Fault

Said team defaulted all but two of their away matches, and one one of the two they did play was on their home premises against clubmates in the same division.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:03 am

Oh, I've played him often. Awful fellow. He never gets any less irritating, especially when he and his brother or cousin "just happen" to be the opposing boards 1 and 2. But I'd rather have him turn up than give in to their captain's suggestion that the match be played over a reduced number of boards.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am

Then there's the Bitter clan; they think they know it all and can be a real pain. There's Richard, Robert, Roger and senior members Rudolf and Rupert who are even worse. Their pint sized sister Rebecca is however well liked by some and known to her friends as Becks.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Russell E Bagge is another player to be avoided. Used to play in the Civil Service League.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm

AustinElliott wrote:I had the embarrassing experience a fortnight back in a league match of having my stomach/guts rumble so loudly that my opponent burst out laughing.

I have now requested The Boss (aka 'Er Indoors) that we avoid any dish including large quantities of beans on those nights when I have to play...
I was doing exactly the same thing in round 4 of the Doncaster congress last year (combo of the previous nights curry and a couple of pints too many) my guts were making a right racket - sadly my novice opponent played a London system and took about 20 minutes per move - I did manage to win, but I wasn't getting out of there anytime soon :roll: :oops:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:35 pm

I believe that U. Avbinconded made a one-off appearance for CentYMCA in a home match versus Hendon many years ago. CentYMCA had omitted to organise a home team and requisitioned members from the weights rooms. U. Avbinconned was only home player to avoid losing.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 pm

My games at the club often go down to the wire, thats when the three European gentlemen turn up to observe, I believe their names are Blokin,Owtz & Delit : )
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 pm

You will all be delighted to know that FIDE have cracked the nut of what to do about games won by default for the purpose of tiebreaks.
F. Handling unplayed games
(a). For tie-break purposes, the result of an unplayed game shall be counted as a draw against the player himself.
(This system shall not be applied from July 1,2012.)

(b). For tie-break purposes a virtual player shall be introduced. In this system all forfeited games are considered to be a draw. The score of this virtual player will be applied.

Ov = Score virtual opponent
P = Player
R = Round of forfeit
Sp = Score of P before Round R
Sr = Forfeit Score of P in Round R
N = Number of rounds of the tournament

Ov = Sp + (1-Sr) + 0.5 x (N-R)

Example 1: in Round 3 of a 9-round tournament Player P did not show up.
His score after 2 rounds is 1.5.
Score Ov = 1.5 + (1 - 0) + 0.5 x (3 - 3) = 2.5 after round 3
Score Ov = 1.5 + (1 - 0) + 0.5 x (9 - 3) = 5.5 at the end of the tournament

Example 2: in Round 6 the opponent of P does not show up.
His score after 5 rounds is 3.5.
Score Ov = 3.5 + (1 - 1) + 0.5 x (6 - 6) = 3.5 after round 6
Score Ov = 3.5 + (1 - 1) + 0.5 x (9 - 6) = 5.0 at the end of the tournament

This system has been introduced because they could not understand my suggestion that the average tiebreak of the games actually played be used.

In their wisdom they also rejected doing away with wins by default in team Swisses, by jambroreeing the bottom 3 teams as is done in Bridge.

There are those in FIDE who love defaults. Thy think them superior to having to wait while two people play a game and then having to record the result and publish the game. It is so much simpler to forfeit one or both players.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I wish I defaulted board 6 in a Birmingham League game last season.

What I actually did was play someone who, though my error alone, was not registered to play in the League. Had I have sent the e-mail, his actual registration was a trivial issue.

So by fielding an ineligible player, he lost the game, and the team got a -1 penalty for fielding him. I would have been better off defaulting!
A couple of years ago I played a Coventry League match with a player who was technically ineligible, because it was the last match of the season and he hadn't played before (in my defence, it was the university holidays, so most players weren't there and I couldn't find anyone else). I did check with the opposition captain beforehand, who said it was OK by him; it wasn't as if we were bringing in a guest GM, he was a friend of a friend who hadn't played for years, was horrendously out of practice and, playing bottom board, lost in about 20 moves which, thanks to the handicap system in place, meant we'd already lost the match.