Manager of British Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

Manager of British Championship

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 pm

The ECF Board of Management has not re-appointed me to the above post.

Until a formal announcement is made may I suggest that all queries should be directed to the Director of Home Chess, Adam Raoof.

May I thank all the player's who made the task so enjoyable during my brief tenure. It is unfortunate that the media coverage of the prize giving has soured things a bit.

Carl Hibbard

Re: Manager of British Championship

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:The ECF Board of Management has not re-appointed me to the above post.
Sad news indeed
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:31 am

I think the ECF have to be congratulated in managing to **** off the two Co-Managers of the British. I have never heard of such a level of incompetency and failure to back the very people they need to run an effective event.

So what happened at the British this year has resulted in 2/3 of the Arbiters involved either resigning or effectively being sacked. The British this year may as well be run by Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub. Lets face it, why would anyone take on a position where you get zero backup from the board.

The sickening thing is, these people (Alex, Lara and Dave) give up time and are often out of pocket to bring you the tournament that you want. They have put 1,000's of hours into the tournament The board have effectively booted them in the short and curlies.

I would like to call on the rest of the arbiting team to resign en-mass in protest, including the minor events. I would also call on all arbiters to decline assisting at this event until Dave, Alex and Lara are given a full public apology for the way that they have been treated. Dave and Alex should be reinstated with immediate effect

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:48 am

This is most regrettable but I remain a little confused as follows:

Andrew Martin stepped down as Manager of Coaching but continues in post since the board is happy for him so to do but the ECF web site shows:
Manager of Coaching – vacancy
whereas the ECF web site shows:
Manager of British Chess Championships – Alex McFarlane
[email protected]
but Alex states that he has not been reappointed.

I was under the impression that an appointment continued under the principle of inertia: A Manager continues in post unless he or she resigns or is sacked and that no reappointment is required.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:57 am

John,

Alex was informed yesterday that he is no longer Manager of the British Championships. The position is currently vacant. Ernie may well be correct in his theory as to who is next. I hope not.

I think the entire arbiting team should walk away in protest
Last edited by Andy Howie on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:59 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I have started a thread on this subject in the ECF section because thats where Alex posted his back me or sack me thread.
I have merged the two topics now
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andy Howie

Re: A very bad decision- ECF needs to grow up

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Lets have a campaign , bring back Alex.
I am with you 100% Ernie. Two things need to happen here

1. There a a public apology from the board to Alex, Lara and Dave for the disgraceful treatment they have had from the board

2. Dave and Alex are reinstated
Last edited by Andy Howie on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 am

John Upham wrote:This is most regrettable but I remain a little confused as follows:

Andrew Martin stepped down as Manager of Coaching but continues in post since the board is happy for him so to do but the ECF web site shows:
Manager of Coaching – vacancy
whereas the ECF web site shows:
Manager of British Chess Championships – Alex McFarlane
[email protected]
but Alex states that he has not been reappointed.

I was under the impression that an appointment continued under the principle of inertia: A Manager continues in post unless he or she resigns or is sacked and that no reappointment is required.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me?
I don't think we can blame the website for being out of date if the decision was taken over the weekend, as seems to be the case. Hopefully there is an email in someones inbox.

I hope the ECF board will comment. But I will admit to being surprised by the level of shock and anger from Andy and Ernie, since it seemed the working relationship between parties had already broken down.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:I hope the ECF board will comment. But I will admit to being surprised by the level of shock and anger from Andy and Ernie, since it seemed the working relationship between parties had already broken down.
Maybe some of us hoped that common sense would see through

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 am

If this thread diverges to general bad ECF decisions it could become full very quickly.

Is this decision related to T-shirtgate or the bad idea to outsource the championships in the vain attempts to make it look as if the ECF board understand charity laws and VAT accounting ?
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Of course we still await the PCC report into Sheffield gate however...
The PCC ruling does not necessarily dictate or influence the policy for dress code at the British Championships. The ECF need to decide who dictates such policy at the British and who interprets the dress code policies stated in the brochure and the rules.

Jonathan Bryant

Re: A very bad decision- ECF needs to grow up

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:15 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:This to me says the 'illuminati' in charge want to keep CJ and RK on board and are willing to cast aside a loyal servant who does an excellent job along with Lara Barnes.
For what it's worth, I suspect it's more accurate to say the ECF want to keep CJ on board and are willing to put up with RDK to achieve that.

As for 'casting aside a loyal servant ...' I would agree that it is unwise for any organisation to relieve themselves of long-standing supporters in favour of folk whose involvement may prove to be of a short-term nature.
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 am

Hi Ernie :oops:

I totally agree with you

Andy

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:38 am

Clearly there is a need for some clarifications about what has happened. Hopefully the ECF or others will expand on the `whys & wherefores`.
Just as a point...I thought the British Championships were `owned & run on a joint basis` with other UK chess bodies. Therefore any appointments/changes should surely be agreed and ratified jointly by all parties. Not sure who is on the `Committee....`???
The fact the CJ indulged in some inapproporiate/questionable `fancy dress` which fell outside the usual norms, was in my view `a passing incident`. The rebukes/concerns raised seemed to make sense...and the matter closed `I thought`.
It needs to be stated that this years British Chess Championships at Sheffield were an unqualified success...certainly in my view. And a particular credit to all the players who took part, and to northern chess for turning out in such good numbers to make this such a memorable event.
My last visit to the `British` was in the 70`s when the likes of Hartston & Keene were rising stars...and the Fischer boom was in full flow. I enjoyed that event too, at Eastbourne...brilliant summer sunshine...analysing on the beach....camping...what fun. Those were the days when things were going well for the BCF...and chess had a real `buzz factor`...
Returning...
It goes without saying that the Management team (Alex & all...), deserve great praise for there efforts in ensuring that things ran smoothly.
Comments about the ineptitude (percieved), of various ECF parties/actions go with the territory (and there are some good people who do some excellent work for chess, who should not be tarred with that brush).

But the recent `twice yearly grading` (a non event...and its gone quiet as to what precise `actions` will be taken). Most leagues will simply ignore the new grades, if they are published (as regards eligability rules, etc).
And I`ll say little more regarding the latest crudely simplistic Membership scheme...although it does moderate the stupid `ECF surcharge` which currently applies to FIDE events. I`m sure that the MO & Game Fee system could be improved/restructured (maybe at a purely `County` level initially, and with some positive `drive`, this could raise Membership levels to double current numbers...but the MO schemes would need to include the FIDE charge, which is currently OTT at £26...in my view).
Lets hope things can be lifted from the current percieved mediocity....and some voting options added + other features, as previously mentioned.

Talking of northern chess.. I see the 4NCL Northern league kicked off last w/e at/near Bishop Auckland, just outside Darlington. A great event....great venues...hopefully that too will attract greater support.

Carl..should this thread not be moved to `ECF Matters`...and maybe we need a new `ECF doesnt matter` thread.... :)
Last edited by David Pardoe on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 am

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:53 am

David Pardoe wrote:Clearly there is a need for some clarifications about what has happened. Hopefully the ECF or others will expand on the `whys & wherefores`.
Just as a point...I thought the British Championships were `owned & run on a joint basis` with other UK chess bodies. Therefore any appointments/changes should surely be agreed and ratified jointly by all parties. Not sure who is on the `Committee....`???.
Did they have a Board meeting yesterday, the first since the AGM? It could have been alongside the British Rapidplay.

(edit) According to Mr Giddins, the decision was taken on Wednesday (/edit).

There is an organisation called BICC, which contains representatives of the ECF, Chess Scotland etc. This has oversight of the Championships but is only involved when decisions of principle, such as excluding Commonwealth players, are taken. For practical purposes BICC delegates running of the events to the ECF. This obviously includes appointing all the officials. Whether by accident or design, the event team usually contains Welsh and Scottish arbiters, thus giving national involvement.

If all, or most, of the team of arbiters at Sheffield 2011 decline to officiate at North Shields 2012, are there enough arbiters elsewhere willing to step in, particularly as there's a dispute on "who decides what"?
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.