Off Topic Stuff

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Off Topic Stuff

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Alan Burke wrote:I did mention to the moderators that I thought it not within their remit to use someone else's name without their permission and stated I would be looking at taking proceedings about that situation unless my name was removed as the author.
Is it ok if I post your PM to see if it is a reflection of what you are saying above?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Alan Burke wrote:The first solution by one moderator (Carl Hibbard), rather than taking any action against the "hacker" of my name, was to suggest that he delete all my posts and my account from the forum;
I believe my PM said:
Carl Hibbard wrote: If you still feel strongly that your account (or your computer) has been compromised security wise then there is an option in this software to delete your account and all your posts

Do you wish me to proceed?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Crikey if we cannot trust the moderators not to use a members login who do we trust? Please tell us this is not what happened or is the last post by Alan another hacked job?
Whilst this is possible (and only be me) Ernie the option has never been used and was not the cause of the issue
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 pm

I believe I have been a lot more patient than a lot of people would be?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Crikey if we cannot trust the moderators not to use a members login who do we trust? Please tell us this is not what happened or is the last post by Alan another hacked job?
Ernie,

Did Man land on the moon?

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Alan Burke wrote:However, I think everyone should now be aware of this situation of a moderator using someone else's name in this forum.
There is no logging in or hacking as you seem to suggest?

If a moderator splits a thread apart into two as they are quite entitled to do then whoever is the first person in that new thread is listed as the author of that thread

Nothing sinister it's the way this software works?
The Moderators do a difficult job – not one I would volunteer for.

I'm sure a lot of threads have been split off this is an important part of the job to make sure that they are in the right place and I have not seen any complaints before.

The forum gives a lot of us a portal through which to express our views and without Carl, Jack & Sean we would not have a forum – food for thought :idea:

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Carl Hibbard ... why should I give such permission when you failed to even answer my question regarding your warning for ignoring a moderator's request as well as then posting your above comment concerning legal action when you knew such proceedings were not going ahead ?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Martin Regan wrote:The possibilities are endless, but believe me defamation is not one of them. :)
Your post is now the subject of a formal complaint
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Carl Hibbard ... why should I give such permission when you failed to even answer my question regarding your warning for ignoring a moderator's request as well as then posting your above comment concerning legal action when you knew such proceedings were not going ahead ?
I am sure we can clear this up by including your private message on the matter?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:This is getting out of hand and serves little purpose really but if someone is unhappy then maybe it has to run. Maybe dualling pistols at dawn, can I be Carls second :lol:
I perhaps am letting my annoyance show, sorry :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 pm

This is from the Forum terms and conditions which have to be agreed to during registration.
You agree that “English Chess Forum” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.
Am I missing something?

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Bill Porter wrote:Am I missing something?
Yes, the entertainment provided by certain posters means they should be cut some slack.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 pm

On the bright side, at least this is all now being posted in the right thread. :-)

I told Alan to go ahead and issue proceedings. I like a bit of sport, but Carl has spoilt that.

Can I complain?!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:On the bright side, at least this is all now being posted in the right thread. :-)
But shouldn't all this be in the "Not Chess!" section? :wink:

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Is it just me or has this forum lost it's sanity of late?
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.