e2e4 Maximum Bonus

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

e2e4 Maximum Bonus

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I've decided to introduce this special prize in recognition of how difficult and unusual scoring maximum points at an e2e4 event is. Therefore:-

Any player scoring 5/5 in an e2e4 event will share the e2e4 maximum bonus. This will start as £100 at Brighton and will increase by £100 per event until it is won. It will then revert to £100 for the next event and so on.

Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Maximum Bonus

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Both players on 4/4 have drawn this afternoon, so this will roll over and £200 will be on offer at High Wycombe in March.

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:57 pm

When I saw this prize announced earlier it got me thinking...

If this jackpot rolls over enough times, might there be an incentive for two players on 4/4 to collude and produce a decisive result, having agreed to split the prize? Perhaps the risk of the 'winner' reneging on the deal would prevent such an agreement, and I doubt it would be legally enforceable should that happen.

(I was also wondering if there are any "theoretical losses' - plausible losing lines that could be wheeled out for such an occasion in the same way 'grandmaster draws' frequently are?)

Great weekend of chess, as usual, Sean. Please never stop coming to Brighton!
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Tristan Clayton wrote:When I saw this prize announced earlier it got me thinking...

If this jackpot rolls over enough times, might there be an incentive for two players on 4/4 to collude and produce a decisive result, having agreed to split the prize? Perhaps the risk of the 'winner' reneging on the deal would prevent such an agreement, and I doubt it would be legally enforceable should that happen.

(I was also wondering if there are any "theoretical losses' - plausible losing lines that could be wheeled out for such an occasion in the same way 'grandmaster draws' frequently are?)

Great weekend of chess, as usual, Sean. Please never stop coming to Brighton!
That's always possible even now, where outright first for one may be better than a multiple tie for both. Whilst the possibility you suggest is there, from my point of view a £500 / £600 payout on top of first prize is great publicity! However, I don't want things to get silly and so, if the prize is not won by the time Brighton comes around next year it will be rolled into the prize money available there which will hopefully make the Brighton weekend even more popular!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:38 am

"If this jackpot rolls over enough times, might there be an incentive for two players on 4/4 to collude and produce a decisive result, having agreed to split the prize?"

My sources inform me that the above scenario has happened a number of times before. However, in one event (20+ years ago) a father and son had to play on top board in the last round, and the winner was so worried that people would think it a fix that he handed his score sheet to the arbiter so that they could see it was a proper game! Now that many tournament games are published, it might be more noticeable if someone throws a game - of course anyone can blunder.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:09 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:I've decided to introduce this special prize in recognition of how difficult and unusual scoring maximum points at an e2e4 event is. Therefore:-

Any player scoring 5/5 in an e2e4 event will share the e2e4 maximum bonus. This will start as £100 at Brighton and will increase by £100 per event until it is won. It will then revert to £100 for the next event and so on.
Excellent idea, I would have used the "e2e4 Jackpot Rollover" label though, it makes you think about becoming a millionaire :-)

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:I've decided to introduce this special prize in recognition of how difficult and unusual scoring maximum points at an e2e4 event is. Therefore:-

Excellent idea, I would have used the "e2e4 Jackpot Rollover" label though, it makes you think about becoming a millionaire :-)
Only 9999 more events to go then.

More seriously: what about the seven-round (or longer) events? Can the prize be won by someone who scores five points from the first five rounds of a longer event?

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Just when I was giving up on prize money by playing in opens to improve my chess!!!