An Open Letter to CJ De Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
chrisobee

Re: An Open Letter to CJ De Mooi

Post by chrisobee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

Bill Porter wrote:.
chrisobee wrote:Summed up for me at least as "thread closed due to lack of integrity ".
Those people who take the view that anyone who has a problem with CJ should stay publicly silent while the ECF resolves everything ( by doing nothing? ) would like nothing better than the termination of this and similar threads.

Repetitive and off topic posts are a good way to achieve the above......

A warning to individuals is appropriate if needed, but not terminating the thread.
But the thread is going nowhere simply because those who ought to actively seek to resolve this and have the power to do so will not.
It is clear to me that the treatment of Alex and Lara is shameful, when you have people like Nigel Short, who could hardly be described as neutral, stating :
"If the gentleman wants to sue someone, let him get on with it. Otherwise he should shut up and stop wasting everyone's time."

you can only wonder what on earth is he thinking ? That is not in the least bit helpful and simply displays the same sort of arrogance that in my mind may be a major reason why the matter has not been resolved ?
Or is it simply the case that financial interests and financial considerations are considered so important that it is Ok to ride rough shod over 2 people who have clearly invested a great time and effort into English/British Chess ? That is certainly another impression I have and I have taken a lot of time to find as much information as I can about the issues involved here which added to what I already knew have lead me firmly to the exact conclusions I have stated.
It really is time for the ECF to stop pussy footing around and correct the error they made by not accepting the resignation of CJ De Mooi in the first place.
"Men who for truth and honour's sake
Stand fast and suffer long.
Brave men who work while others sleep,
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

chrisobee

Post by chrisobee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

PaulTalbot wrote:
Judy Brown wrote:Just like to say well done to Ernie for his posts.

Adding three points :-

1) It’s pretty depressing to realise that, (given the pre-presentation tweet, and the huge over-reaction), wearing ‘the t-shirt’ was more important to our ECF President than presenting the British Chess Champions with prizes.
It was clearly more important than letting down any hard-working, talented junior champions who were (deservedly) looking forward to being presented by an (appropriately-dressed) ECF President.

2) Lara’s actions might well have saved further embarrassment caused by objections from parents.
Parents who had (or were responsible for) juniors who were due to be presented that day might well have simply requested that they were presented by someone wearing something more appropriate. It’s the British Championships – not the Blitz Tourney at the Local Pub !!

3) I am full of admiration for Lara’s actions on the day of the presentation.
Her actions reminded me of the words of Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone :-

“It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.”

In my opinion, it has now become apparent that neither our President or the ECF board can match Lara’s courage in this respect !!

In summary :-
I agree with Alex’s letter, and feel that we can not continue with two top arbiters at loggerheads with the President.
Our President should stand up for the people who have earned the respect of our players, and commit to prioritising Chess Players at Chess events, or step aside.

Judy
I totally agree with the above.

As I've said before; CJ's number 1 priority is CJ

CJ's number 2 priority is gay rights/stonewall

Chess, along with everything else will always come a long way behind 1 & 2. That is why he should be asked to step down as president, because he will always use chess and bring chess into dispute in order to further priorities 1 & 2. The proof of this was his blatant attempt to use the presentation of prizes at the British Championships to promote gay rights. The whole thing was a set up and I suspect he's loved all the controversy and publicity provided since.

Ask CJ to resign.
Precisely that !
"Men who for truth and honour's sake
Stand fast and suffer long.
Brave men who work while others sleep,
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 am

In all honesty I'm not sure how much we would gain now by CJ's resignation or sacking. He caused enough havoc when his choice of clothing was queried. Not that it's preventable in any case but do we want him in the national media, claiming he was forced out over a gay rights related issue? As an ex president he would have nothing to lose. More to the point he will be able to claim high profile supporters in the form of Raymond Keene and Grandmaster Short.

Lara Barnes is the proverbial butterfly on the wheel here. Only the most rabid CJ supporters would claim she is not the most injured party. Lara and Alex have been slandered. I will not allow attention to drift from this fact. It is the sole reason why I keep posting on this thread. Somebody (and here my gaze drifts to another Andrew) needs to show some leadership and start actively sorting this mess out (I am quite happy that this may not be done overnight). If things are going on behind the scenes tell us `termites` (I have just seen this phrase on another blog, I'm sure the writer will consider me one) to pipe down and have some patience. It's the inaction and silence that's irritating a lot of people. I'm sorry but cautiously worded statements from the board will not restore Lara's reputation.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Hopefully this is good news, I am not sure.

I hope Alex does not mind me saying as I think it will put many people's mind at ease. Alex has agreed to meet with CJ.

He is talking with another intermediary, who in turn I guess is talking to CJ. This must be good news.

I wish them all the best. I think that I have done all that I can and will wait to see what happens.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:21 pm

This may be what Ernie Lazenby was referring to last night. I think in light of this information (and it is good news) we can afford to let the matter rest for now.

At the risk of being a pedant I find Krishna Shiatis' choice of words interesting - `Alex has agreed to meet with CJ` not `CJ has agreed to meet with Alex`. To all extents and purposes CJ is the one who asked Alex not to contact him and has not responded to appeals for his inolvement in this debate.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I hadn't intended going public on this because it is not certain if anything will happen and I have not even discussed it with Lara (oops!)

I have put one condition on any meeting and that is that the outcome must be made public. In light of my experiences with the Board I do not think this an unreasonable request.

On another positive note Mr Keene, whilst he has still not apologised, has offered to retweet a link to my open letter if it does not have the attached "distractions". I have pointed out that these "distractions" include a contribution by GM Short but he is not for moving on this.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:On another positive note Mr Keene, whilst he has still not apologised, has offered to retweet a link to my open letter if it does not have the attached "distractions". I have pointed out that these "distractions" include a contribution by GM Short but he is not for moving on this.
If you repost the open letter to a new thread, I can lock that thread immediately if you would like.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote: On another positive note Mr Keene, whilst he has still not apologised, has offered to retweet a link to my open letter if it does not have the attached "distractions". I have pointed out that these "distractions" include a contribution by GM Short but he is not for moving on this.
You could always repost your initial letter (and perhaps Nigel's response) alongside a request to one of the moderators to immediately lock the thread.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Sean - done.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 pm

There seems to me to be a missing link. Where did the misapprehension that there was no dress code come from ? The earliest mention on here was:-
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... ode#p68339 Before wearing the t-shirt and tweeting about it I guess CJ would have checked this out. But with whom ?

The program dress code applies to players but the FIDE code applies to all participants and leaves the "suitable" bit to be decided by the managers. The first incorrect mention of "no dress code" comes from CJ followed by Carl Hibbard, Simon Ansell, Leonard Barden, Matt Ward and so it goes on.

I would like to ask Andrew Farthing if the existence of the FIDE dress code was pointed out to the PCC in his note to them. Bearing in mind the PCC decision is about reporting, they usually check out details and their decision is more easily understood if they believed participants were free to make their own choices for the prize ceremony.
Last edited by E Michael White on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 pm

In a previous posting I stated that:

"The ECF Board unanimously rejected Alex McFarlane's complaint - in a skype conference on the 16th November."

This may have given some people the impression that this specific complaint was identical to, rather than merely being related to, his broader complaints about the President of the ECF, Mr. CJ de Mooi, and Mr. Raymond Keene.

I accept that it was wrong of me to breach the confidence to which Mr. McFarlane was entitled on this matter.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:57 pm

E Michael White wrote:There seems to me to be a missing link. Where did the misaprehension that there was no dress code come from ? .
Custom and practice, I would imagine. Whilst "offended of x" has been writing griping letters to magazines and similar media for as long as I have been playing, in the tournament hall, no action is taken or contemplated.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:07 pm

some positive signs today - let's hope for more of the same. If it ends with proper satisfaction to all parties, then indeed no one has to resign - but I am pleased that this thread has contributed to a wider recognition that there must be proper satisfaction, and that the issue will not be resolved by being swept under the carpet.

Ernie and Roger had an earlier exchange about "the old days". I fear that in those days such an issue as this might have been successfully swept under the carpet, pre-internet and, why not, pre English Chess Forum (but let's not have further "distractions" on that theme).

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I hope CJ and Alex and Lara can 'sort out' their differences amicably, but regardless of wether they can or not I still think CJ should be replaced as president. I think CJ will always use chess for his own publicity ends, and will again in the future bring chess into dispute in order to further his other priorities (his own publicity and gay rights) which far more important to him.

Ask CJ to resign.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:some positive signs today - let's hope for more of the same. If it ends with proper satisfaction to all parties, then indeed no one has to resign - but I am pleased that this thread has contributed to a wider recognition that there must be proper satisfaction, and that the issue will not be resolved by being swept under the carpet.
Proper satisfaction? My hope is that CJ and Alex have not agreed to meet with pistols at dawn :)

More seriously, does anyone object to asking Carl to lock this thread? Alex can always open a new one if necessary, and it would prevent distractions from the peace process by those with other agendas.