The New Moderator

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

The New Moderator

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Hello All

As you are probably aware, one of our moderators has felt it necessary to step down from this illustrious position and this therefore leaves us somwhat stretched, as far as administrative staff go.
I have always been quite keen to get a bit of power when the opportunity arises, and therefore would like to propose myself as the new candidate for the job.

Some of you will not have encountered me before, and so I would invite any questions from the floor so that you can better get to know me and why I am a suitable person from the job. I shall return in less then 24 hours, eagerly anticipating any challenging issues that might be raised for me to solve.

Joey

N.B. I am sure there will be 'some people' who will simply register their support without the need to ask anything of me - you know who you are...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Thomas Rendle

Re: The New Moderator

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: I have always been quite keen to get a bit of power when the opportunity arises, and therefore would like to propose myself as the new candidate for the job.
Sorry Joey, as anyone who has read HHGTTG knows: "It is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. Anyone who is capable of getting themselves into a position of power should on no account be allowed to do the job." Douglas Adams

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah but there is a famous quote from Douglas adams that was along the lines of "don't take what I write literally" or some such - so ipso facto, he cannot be used to support an arguement against my rise to power.
Plus, he was quite a funny sort of chap and I am sure would have voted for me if he had been alive today.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 pm

I seem to recall that you went by an assumed name (Joey Cage) on this forum for a while. Relevant?

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I vote for Joey. The genius of Douglas Adams went to Brentwood School, same as Noel Edmunds....and Jon Rogers he he he. (Sorry Jon :) )

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Do you think that someone who had previously registered for the forum under a false name would be a good choice for a moderator?

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Do you think that someone who had previously registered for the forum under a false name would be a good choice for a moderator?
Poacher turned gamekeeper. Why not?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:I vote for Joey. The genius of Douglas Adams went to Brentwood School, same as Noel Edmunds....and Jon Rogers he he he. (Sorry Jon :) )
I normally refer to Robin Day instead of Noel Edmonds. Not sure about citing Jack Straw. "Complicated".

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 pm

I thought the first step in running for high office was to declare "I have absolutely no ambition in that direction". (Hacker, 1984)
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 am

Ian Thompson wrote:Do you think that someone who had previously registered for the forum under a false name would be a good choice for a moderator?
Joey has been known as Joey Cage to his friends for years. It isn't really a false name, just one he likes to use in real life, not just on the internet. He certainly wasn't trying to deceive anybody about his real identity.

Personally speaking I think Joey would make an excellent moderator for this forum. He is a good example of the sort of player who runs most of the clubs in England. He clearly loves chess and I don't think I've ever seen him get wound up in the slightest by gratuitous insults, it's all like water off a duck's back to him.

Since quite a number of the most heated discussions on this forum involve strong opinions about the merits or otherwise of various members of the ECF Board, I think it would be very sensible to have a moderator who is not a member of the Board.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:03 am

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Joey has been known as Joey Cage to his friends for years. It isn't really a false name, just one he likes to use in real life, not just on the internet. He certainly wasn't trying to deceive anybody about his real identity.

Personally speaking I think Joey would make an excellent moderator for this forum. He is a good example of the sort of player who runs most of the clubs in England. He clearly loves chess and I don't think I've ever seen him get wound up in the slightest by gratuitous insults, it's all like water off a duck's back to him.

Since quite a number of the most heated discussions on this forum involve strong opinions about the merits or otherwise of various members of the ECF Board, I think it would be very sensible to have a moderator who is not a member of the Board.
Hi Jon,

I think I agree. Having looked at some of his posts, Joey is as mad as a loon (in the best possible way Joey!), perhaps a little psychic - he was one of the few who urged us all to check the facts in the T-shirt 'thing' - and appears to have a sense of humour.

Sean has IMO done a very good job. I do not wish to see him go or anyone else. If Joey is offering - maybe give him a chance?

Sean - what has happened in the last 24 hours?

Kind regards,

Krishna

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

Krishna Shiatis wrote:Sean has IMO done a very good job. I do not wish to see him go or anyone else. If Joey is offering - maybe give him a chance?

Sean - what has happened in the last 24 hours?
Sean has also asked for his account to be removed but I will give him some time to reconsider first :shock:

I will remain the only moderator for the forseable future
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 am

Carl could you take Joey on for a short period then see how he does perhaps?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 am

I`m sure Joey would be fine...and Im sure that Sean could also do a good job.
To me, its a role that requires some subtle & measured actions. The `Ref` needs to be seen in the background, and not centre stage, unless there`s some glaring breaches or offensive behaviour.
I hope Sean will remain because he has made good contributions to this forum...and his e2e4 initiatives have brought a valuable addition to chess offerings.
One of the judgements that needs to be made is just how often to `intervene`....and on what grounds.
Its quite tricky.....

PS I thought that Jack Rudd was also a moderator...
BRING BACK THE BCF

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 pm

So the triumvirate is over and Carl mods alone. (Unless Joey got the job.)