Away player excluded

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: Away player excluded

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 pm

I agree with Geoff, this is far from anonymous to those with a little time on their hands. As the League Controller in an adjacent county I would initially award the match 6:0 to the visitors as the spirit of chess has been breached without due reason, being given. I would also consider a fine broadly equivalent to the travel expenses incurred by the player refused access to play. I would then find against the visiting club if any of their officers had sought to encourage the discussion of an internal league matter on a public forum, prior to the exhaustion of due process within league rules , probably leaving us with a match scored as a double default. It would irritate me intensely if my decision making were subject to debate before I had even been invited to make a ruling.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:21 pm

"I agree with Geoff, this is far from anonymous to those with a little time on their hands. As the League Controller in an adjacent county I would initially award the match 6:0 to the visitors as the spirit of chess has been breached without due reason, being given. I would also consider a fine broadly equivalent to the travel expenses incurred by the player refused access to play. I would then find against the visiting club if any of their officers had sought to encourage the discussion of an internal league matter on a public forum, prior to the exhaustion of due process within league rules , probably leaving us with a match scored as a double default. It would irritate me intensely if my decision making were subject to debate before I had even been invited to make a ruling."

I largely agree. If we have been given an accurate description of events and all available information, I would also want all the visitors compensated for travelling expenses and seek a ban from the league for the Home Secretary, (by which I mean the Secretary of the Home Club!)
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 pm

John, have you checked with the excluded player that he is happy for you to disclose the reason he was 'excluded'? If the answer is yes then let's have the name of the player and the reason. If the answer is no then we shouldn't really have this topic!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

John Upham wrote: Roger,

Had the League concerned been made aware by the home club that the away player would not be permitted to play for any away team at their premises?
No. Frankly I'm fed up with the petty feuding between Sandhurst and Camberley. The league rules aren't written with unsporting and bizarre behaviour in mind. A known default is supposed to take place on board 6 but that doesn't cope with the situation where one of the away team is prevented from playing. I have already been contacted by one of the captains who raised no objection to the Sandhurst board order and presumably does not wish to escalate the dispute.

I would like to know if the colours are correctly reported on the website.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 pm

John Upham wrote: The home player was going to be playing on board six but the home club took the chance to strengthen their team by shuffing their boards downwards!
Adding insult to injury.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Thomas Rendle wrote:John, have you checked with the excluded player that he is happy for you to disclose the reason he was 'excluded'? If the answer is yes then let's have the name of the player and the reason. If the answer is no then we shouldn't really have this topic!
Tom,
I am not aware of the reason that the player was excluded other than personal differences. All I have been told is that he was asked to leave.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Probably best to ask the player then!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:55 pm

The only thing surprising in a match between Sandhurst and Camberley is that they don't come to blows. I assume the player retired hurt was Colin Lyne. Colin Lyne vs. Alec Aslett. Isn't that the line up we all want to see? Loser drops out of the Border League to avoid any further breachs of the Queen's peace.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: I assume the player retired hurt was Colin Lyne.
Colin is part of the A team squad and not eligible for this match which was BvB.

More worryingly, the Camberley A team are due to play away to Sandhurst B at the end of the season so there could be a repeat of this nonsense.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:17 pm

This is all very silly, then, as everyone is simply going to guess who was sent home, offended. Full facts or no post.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Guess it was Steve Harley, the captain, then. Same comment applies. Further silliness from these teams should result in their respective captains being banned until the end of the season.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:This is all very silly, then, as everyone is simply going to guess who was sent home, offended. Full facts or no post.
I think it's easy to work out who it was. We were told it is someone who was nominated for Camberley B, but hadn't played in their previous matches this season. As far as I can see there is only one person meeting this criterion. I propose we refer to him as Player W from now on.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Righto. Must have been Matt Ward then. Steve Harley actually played in that match.

Carl, can we have a seperate forum for disputes between Camberley and Sandhurst, please, so the rest of us can ignore such querulous trivia.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I wanted to hear your views the generalities of this incident rather than offering a guessing game to name individuals and clubs.

I suppose trying to be vague would have generated no interest so it was somewhat naïve of me to expect otherwise for which I apologise.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm

I am struggling to think of a charge that a Police officer could use to arrest the player in question.

'I arrest you on suspicion of being a member of a team which has been invited here'.

Sounds a bit like Constable Savage.

Chess is a game played on a board with 64 squares.