4NCL Northern League - the future...your support

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

4NCL Northern League - the future...your support

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I read recently that the 4NCL Northern League is heading for potential demise after just 2 seasons, due to lack of numbers. In short, they need a few more teams to make it viable next season. Teams are of 6 players, with team squads of about 12 players desirable. Typically, team squads contain a fair range of players graded between say 225ish..down to circa 140...so it offers plenty of scope for all strengths of players. Matches start in November and play about 5 weekends through to early May, when the grand finals take place at Hinckley Island.
Things were not helped by the current system of `one-way` promotion, which meant that two teams left the league (were promoted) last year to 4NCL Div 2, but non were relegated to balance things. That was, however, exceptional. ...with strong teams from Merseyside and Bradford winning promotion in good style.
John Carleton ran the Merseyside team `Spirit of Atticus` last season.
My question for northern areas is..firstly, do we want this league to continue?
If so, can you talk to others who might be interested, including leagues, chess groups, fellow club players, chess organisers and County/Congress officials. Teams can be just groups of chess friends, or any chess grouping of your choosing.
Are there changes that should/could be made to make this league more viable/attractive.
Two obvious areas concern venues and costs. There might well be a case for some reductions in costs for the Northern league. But certainly, if new teams can come forward, there is a need to reinstate one more Northern venue for matches...maybe at Sheffield/Chesterfield or North Manchester.
To our current 4NCL captains....what suggestions have you got. I know the league has been very popular amongst the players/teams who take part. Yes, its not cheap...but having high quality events in our northern region I think has merit and the venues/playing conditions are excellent.. Also, the room discounts for overnight stays are quite generous.
So, calling Merseyside/West Cheshire/Chester...can you raise a team or two...!! We had two teams last year from Merseyside. Anyone interested in running a team or playing, please get in touch.
Lancs......this is a big chess playing area...can anyone volunteer/come forward, with a team...or two. Players interested, please get in touch.
South Manchester...another chess hot spot....a team from the Stockport league would be good. Anyone interested from this area please get in touch...I`d be glad to assist with any set-up and running.
A team from Teesside would be most welcome...or even the Scottish Borders perhaps.....
South York's/Chesterfield/Notts........any willing offers to run teams would be gratefully received. Running and funding teams is quite straightforward, and any of the current team captains would be glad to help with this. See 4NCL website & click on `northern league` tabs for more information.
Players interested to see how things run at first hand might be interested in a trip to Harrogate, next weekend, where matches take place at the Barcelo Majestic Hotel.. next Saturday & Sunday. If any players would like to play in this league, please get a touch.
Mike Truran is the principal organiser of this league and would be happy to assist with any queries and running arrangements/rules/registration, etc....see http://www.4ncl.co.uk/
BRING BACK THE BCF

Ian Stephens

Re: 4NCL Northern League - the future...your support

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm

David, What would be the best way to enrol/find a team for the 4NCL Northern League?, I would consider myself somewhat of a "Ronin" as regards team participation, but would like to try the 4NCL at some point in my life. What would be the likely financial cost (Ball park figure) and commitment required throughout a season for the average player? If there are New/existing teams out there who who require a utility player for next season, may I offer my services?

regards
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Ian,
Regarding costs...it breaks down to 3 main elements..Team Registration, Travel & Accom, and ECF Registration.
As a Manchester player last year, I played in most matches and it probably cost me about £4 - £5 per match. We used a `match fee` charge to cover the team registration costs, which I think is fairly normal. That meant those who played most, paid most towards the total team costs.
The ECF Registration fee was £25 and travel/Accom was probably around £50 (discounted at Barcelo & De Vere`s)...for the Saturday night stay.
As I said, John Carleton wrote some colourful reports on our Northern matches, which gave a flavour of the full deal...i.e., top quality venues/playing conditions, FIDE rated, and the Saturday night social side, when players and teams got together for drinks, meals (often at a local Chinese, or some such), and there was great camaraderie...and some chess post mortems, friendlies, etc...
Aigburth - http://www.4ncl.co.uk/1011/1011_reg_AIG.htm was the other Merseyside team last year...you might know some of the players. It would certainly be good if another Merseyside team could be found...and teams from other Northern areas. If you contact any of the current captains (email details on 4NCL website..), I`m sure they will give you more details, but do read through the info on the 4NCL website.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Hi Ian,
Regarding costs...it breaks down to 3 main elements..Team Registration, Travel & Accom, and ECF Registration.
Thanks David for your breakdown of the league, I have perused the 4NCL website and that also has given me a clearer picture. I am now considering "Raising a Banner" for the 2011/12 season, so if I can recruit some more hardy souls, we may very well join you next season. I do know players already playing in the league and shall also solicit their advice, though like you mentioned Team Captains would be the best port of call.

If there are any Forum Members who would like to join me in this venture? then feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Good to hear your news Ian...I hope you get a good response from your fellow Merseyside players. It would be good to see them represented once more in the 4NCL Northern League...
Same goes for other areas, and I hope players will take the initiative and raise/join other teams.
This weekend (Sunday at the Guild Hall...) is the Stockport Rapidplay...it would be great if those attending could canvass/discuss with fellow players and raise a team from the Stockport/South Manchester area. The Stockport League certainly has plenty of players who could be a great asset to the 4NCL Northern League, if a team could be formed....volunteers wanted. The Holmes Chapel chess club already have a team in the league, as do Cheddleton....representing South Cheshire/Staffordshire/Stoke areas.

Same goes for Chester/Wirral/North Wales......a team from that area would be most welcome.
Next weekend (11th 12th Feb), is the excellent and unsong Frodsham Congress. It would be great to see some initiatives from this event to see if a 4NCL team could be raised, representing that area of Cheshire....or even South Lancs...!!
Details of both these events are on the ECF Calander, and they should be great recruiting grounds for potential new teams and players. Hopefully players will give this some consideration...and chat/network at these events. Roger Edwards is Chief Arbitor at the Frodsham Congress and I`m sure he`d be willing to offer advice/pointers to anyone thinking of raising/wanting to join a new 4NCL team(s).
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am

Ian Stephens wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:Hi Ian,
Thanks David for your breakdown of the league, I have perused the 4NCL website and that also has given me a clearer picture. I am now considering "Raising a Banner" for the 2011/12 season, so if I can recruit some more hardy souls, we may very well join you next season. I do know players already playing in the league and shall also solicit their advice, though like you mentioned Team Captains would be the best port of call.

If there are any Forum Members who would like to join me in this venture? then feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Ian

I assume you know Nick Hawkins - he played last year in the Northern League for Aigburth and has played 4NCL before the Northern league formed - he will be able to answer some of your questions
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks Mick, I have not actually met Nick Hawkins, but played at Aigburth a couple of weeks ago and met Roger Williamson, I asked if I could contact him regards 4NCL, he quite happily agreed, so I will be contacting him soon.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Should a few more of our northern chess groups decide to enter, it would be a great incentive to add another venue in our area. Some entries from Lancs teams/clubs/groups (or Merseyside... or others....most welcome), and might enable us to sign up a classy mid Lancs (Barcelo..) venue such as http://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/300 ... manchester perhaps. See http://www.thecrownatworthington.co.uk/ (near Wigan) or similar ..assuming they have facilities available on our required dates. PS this particular venue has limited number of rooms, so probably ruled out. Barcelo Blackpool, (or similar sized venue), might be an option.
I`ve mentioned other potential northern locations which might offer good prospects, including Sheffield/ Chesterfield...which might help provide a more attractive spread for our teams.
All depends on growing our support for the 4NCL Northern league..

A mention at some of our local northern congresses might help promote more awareness of this excellent event...
BRING BACK THE BCF