Jovanka H. in the Daily Mail

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Jovanka H. in the Daily Mail

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:If we are interested in encouraging young women to play chess, I guess we have to lament that Magnus "isn't really hot is he?" (according to overheard girls in one of the the general interest pieces on the LCC )
Would it though? When women see a photograph of David Beckham, a resolution to take up football at the next opportunity isn't usually the comment they make.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Would it though? When women see a photograph of David Beckham, a resolution to take up football at the next opportunity isn't usually the comment they make.
Was Bend it like Beckham not a documentary? :D

Beckham had a role in keeping football in the mainstream media. How much him being pretty has contributed to the growth of women's football impossible to say. But I'm fairly confident he hasn't done it any harm.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Paul .. it may well be a nice frock, but comments in the article state that the player has helped make the game sexier and has an enviable figure. All I ask is what has that got to do with chess itself and are female players in particular happy that those attributes should be used to promote the game ? If so, there seems something of a contradiction in promoting the game in such a manner yet then introducing rules that limit players to a more conservative dress code.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote::roll: I don't think that was the original point, but ok...
Yes I am concerned as to where this discussion is heading
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 am

Jovanka Houska 'has an enviable figure.'

I agree. I'm jealous of her 2395 FIDE Grade.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am

It all seems a little sexist with the Daily Mail article looked very much like some of the ChessBase articles on female chess that sometimes appear

:roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04 am

"It all seems a little sexist with the Daily Mail article looked very much like some of the ChessBase articles on female chess that sometimes appear"

Indeed, I'm sure Chessbase only published the item by John Saunders on "Basque chess", as they thought it included young women wearing basques...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am

The New York Daily News also carries the dress code story with the observation that the change in dress code was
due to female players’ appearance causing a ruckus in the peanut gallery.
I am completely baffled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/f ... z1ozEkQ3rC

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 am

The female player featured in the Daily Mail was obviously quite content to pose in such a fashion, so will anyone who wishes to condemn it as a sexist article be prepared to criticise her for doing so ?

Colin McGourty

Post by Colin McGourty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am

I guess this had all the elements of a perfect "ChessBase story" on women's chess, though if they hadn't helpfully translated "décolletés" as the tabloid-friendly "cleavage" I doubt the Daily Mail would have picked up on it. CB also failed, as usual, to point out that they'd simply taken the interview (including photos) from the official tournament website: http://eiwcc2012.tsf.org.tr/component/c ... h-sava-sta The Daily Mail attributed the interview to CB and now you've got e.g. Time among the dozens of sites that have reproduced the same mistake: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/11/che ... vage-rule/

Still, if the internet-wide ridicule helps the ECU realise a detailed dress code is a foolish idea something good might come out of it!

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm

ChessBase has returned to the original story. They provide links to coverage in various newspapers and include comments from players and coaches about the dress code.

I note that the New York Times managed not only to report the story (with some additional material not sourced from ChessBase or the reporter's imagination), but also to refrain from printing any pictures of female chess players. It even (and many will find this quite shocking) included a game from the event, with brief notes.

Colin McGourty

Post by Colin McGourty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Dylan Loeb McClain's been writing a chess blog or column for the New York Times for years, so his piece doesn't really fit into the "ChessBase story picked up by the general media" rubric at all.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Colin McGourty wrote:Dylan Loeb McClain's been writing a chess blog or column for the New York Times for years, so his piece doesn't really fit into the "ChessBase story picked up by the general media" rubric at all.
And it shows. If only the others would take note.