http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5242
provides a lively report of the 2009 British Chess Problem Solving Championship.
Thanks to ChessBase for providing this.
The event appears to have been sponsored by Wincanton Capital Management.
A prize of day out at an ECF board meeting goes to anyone who can spot this event or a mention of the sponsor on the main ECF site.
British Chess Problem Solving Championship
- John Upham
- Posts: 8380
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
British Chess Problem Solving Championship
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Ian Kingston
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
- Location: Sutton Coldfield
- Contact:
Re: British Chess Problem Solving Championship
A report has just appeared at:
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/national ... _feb09.htm
No mention on the home page though.
The sponsor's name, by the way, is Winton (not Wincanton) Capital Management.
I respectfully decline the prize offered - there's some paint that I need to watch drying.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/national ... _feb09.htm
No mention on the home page though.
The sponsor's name, by the way, is Winton (not Wincanton) Capital Management.
I respectfully decline the prize offered - there's some paint that I need to watch drying.
Ian Kingston
http://www.iankingston.com
http://www.iankingston.com
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: British Chess Problem Solving Championship
Winton Capital have not only sponsored the national solving championship for several years, they have also backed the British team in the world solving championship, where our representatives led by John Nunn and Jonathan Mestel have won several gold and other medals and are clearly the No1 nation. I believe Winton Capital also gives some support to junior chess.
I have given the firm several mentions in my Saturday Financial Times column (Life and Arts section) and think they really deserve outstanding credit for their consistent and unobtrusive support. If the ECF accords them little recognition, that only reflects poorly on the ECF.
I have given the firm several mentions in my Saturday Financial Times column (Life and Arts section) and think they really deserve outstanding credit for their consistent and unobtrusive support. If the ECF accords them little recognition, that only reflects poorly on the ECF.
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
Re: British Chess Problem Solving Championship
Winton Capital Management also sponsor the UK Team Maths Challeneges, which a couple of thousand secondary schools enter
http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/team-challenges/
http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/team-challenges/