e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 am

Peter D Williams wrote:One other point no bottle of wine or dinner was offered to us by any one from the hotel
I'll try this one last time. The offer of dinner was something I negotiated with the hotel for people who booked a room through the e2e4 Chess contract. You did not book a room though e2e4 Chess contract. Your booking is covered by
http://www.pumahotels.co.uk/terms-and-conditions wrote: Cancellation by Puma Hotels' Collection
Very occasionally, we may have to cancel your booking. We will tell you as soon as possible, and offer you an alternative accommodation of the same standard, or higher, or offer a full refund. We regret we cannot pay compensation or any reimbursement of any expenses or costs you may incur as a result of any such cancellation or change.
I don't think I can say it any plainer than that.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 am

Peter D Williams wrote:That is not the same email we have from Anthony that you appear to have so if your claiming you did not speak to him about our rooms on the 27 June that is very helpful as we can now prove that Anthony has wrote something that appears not to be true.
Don't jump to conclusion. According to your quote of his email
Peter D Williams wrote:But Anthony was clear in his email at 10 36 Am on 27 June he says this "I have spoken to Mr Hewitt in regards to your rooms" .
He didn't say that we did that we spoke about your room on 27th June. He simply says that we spoke about your rooms. And that is true.
Sean Hewitt wrote: (3) The hotel responded that no more rooms were available and they were full. They also identified that they had 2 bookings, one in the name of Williams and one in another name, had been booked direct with the hotel. These bookings had been allocated the chess rate, and allocated a chess room. I was asked by the hotel if these people were part of the chess event as if they were, I would have to cancel two of my bookings as I would sold more than my allocation.
(4) I checked the entries and confirmed that we did not have an entry from a player called Williams (nor did we have one in the other name).

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:42 pm

[sean
Don't jump to conclusion. According to your quote of his email
Peter D Williams wrote:But Anthony was clear in his email at 10 36 Am on 27 June he says this "I have spoken to Mr Hewitt in regards to your rooms" .
[/quote]
He didn't say that we did that we spoke about your room on 27th June. He simply says that we spoke about your rooms. And that is true.

So you did know before it was put up on the forum yet early you said you did not That is what was worrying me you claiming early on here to Carol that the first you heard about it was via the forum so we now know that statement was not true.
But at least you are now willing to say you did know before it was put up on the forum if so that takes a brave man to admit that on here and i thank you for that. This mean any complaint for the record is correct with the hotel. i think a sorry from the hotel and that there really mean there sorry would help!

As i said if your going to a chess event you belive you got the room booked well in advance and then 2 days before event hotel says no room what would you say? im sure you have plenty to say to the hotel!

any way it was very annoying when all one wanted to do was play chess and relax after the game as mine are often over far to quick i would have escaped to the bar to think about why idea did not work again!. Over all you do fairly good job running your events has i know it can not be easy at times! and you do give people the chance to play chess in good condtions something we need more of. i think for furture events you should put on web site please book though me other wise you may not get your room one of the reasons we booked direct was just get the room and its sorted!

Im going to check very carful for next year with the hotel for our hoilday! makes one want to stay at home! hope Carol does not read that!

i will still be watching the results come up! i will not post again on this subject until next week should any new information come to light so that you can get on with the job of running the event.

enough said on subject!
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:So you did know before it was put up on the forum yet early you said you did not That is what was worrying me you claiming early on here to Carol that the first you heard about it was via the forum so we now know that statement was not true.
Did know what? It would be helpful if you could make yourself clear what you are referring to. For the record [again], and prior to 27th
I knew that the hotel was overbooked.
I knew that the hotel was going to honour committments amde to bookings through e2e4 Chess.
I did not know that you had booked direct with the hotel.
I did not know that the hotel had cancelled your room.
Peter D Williams wrote: But at least you are now willing to say you did know before it was put up on the forum if so that takes a brave man to admit that on here and i thank you for that.
I've been very clear stating what I knew when. I fear you have misunderstood what has been said. I did not know that your room was cancelled prior to Carol Williams post on this forum.
Peter D Williams wrote: As i said if your going to a chess event you belive you got the room booked well in advance and then 2 days before event hotel says no room what would you say? im sure you have plenty to say to the hotel!
You'd be wrong. This weekend for example I've lost my room on Saturday night at Buxton. These things happen and, when they do, one needs to deal with these things.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:So you did know before it was put up on the forum yet early you said you did not That is what was worrying me you claiming early on here to Carol that the first you heard about it was via the forum so we now know that statement was not true.
Did know what? It would be helpful if you could make yourself clear what you are referring to. For the record [again], and prior to 27th
I knew that the hotel was overbooked.
I knew that the hotel was going to honour committments amde to bookings through e2e4 Chess.
I did not know that you had booked direct with the hotel.
I did not know that the hotel had cancelled your room.
Peter D Williams wrote: But at least you are now willing to say you did know before it was put up on the forum if so that takes a brave man to admit that on here and i thank you for that.
I've been very clear stating what I knew when. I fear you have misunderstood what has been said. I did not know that your room was cancelled prior to Carol Williams post on this forum.
Peter D Williams wrote: As i said if your going to a chess event you belive you got the room booked well in advance and then 2 days before event hotel says no room what would you say? im sure you have plenty to say to the hotel!
You'd be wrong. This weekend for example I've lost my room on Saturday night at Buxton. These things happen and, when they do, one needs to deal with these things.
you did not know about the room being cancelled before Carol Post yet Anthony says in his email he sent it 10 36 AM to us long before Carol put up the post and said "I have spoken to Mr Hewitt in regards to your rooms" I will be following up with Anthony what he means in his email about speaking to you about our room and of course making a complaint to the hotel.

of course you get over it life goes on but im not so sure people going away for a break or what ever would just think it ok to be told just 2 days before no room. how did your room get lost? was it over booked to?

All the times i have ever booked a hotel well in advance i have never been told 2 days before no room! maybe im used to high a standard of service i dont know? i would have thought people going away on hoilday would not be to pleased to be told no room at the inn!

it makes no difference now.

good luck with the event

Im off to relax in the garden and check out a new idea i have for a chess opening on my pocket set lets hope this one works!
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 am

Those not staying at the Palace Hotel were probably lucky.

A number of Chessplayers were kept awake Friday night by loud Disco music from another function be held at the hotel.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 pm

On a happier note, the Open has come down to an all-GM top-board final round decider between Mark Hebden (W, 3.5/4) & Keith Arkell (B, 4/4, sole leader). Wonder how many times those two have played each other in w/end Swisses over the years?

Only other player on 3.5/4 is Martin Brown, who has black on bd 2 against 16 yr old IM Daniel Fernandez (3/4). Fernandez was joint leader after 3 rounds with Keith Arkell, but lost to the GM w black this morning.

PS BTW, I believe a certain well-known chess blogger has been present in Buxton, so we may get some coverage of the event over at that place we don't mention. Let's hope there haven't been any siblings playing sub-15 move draws in the Lopez Exchange Variation.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:40 pm

AustinElliott wrote:PS BTW, I believe a certain well-known chess blogger has been present in Buxton, so we may get some coverage of the event over at that place we don't mention. Let's hope there haven't been any siblings playing sub-15 move draws in the Lopez Exchange Variation.
Indeed he was. I dropped in on the congress myself to take a look and chat to a few people (terrific venue, by the way) and was nattering away to Sean Hewitt in the analysis room while He Who Shall Not Be Named was sitting just a few feet away. Sadly, although I thought the face was familiar, I couldn't place him, so I didn't say hello, thereby depriving HWSNBN of the chance to explain my shortcomings to me in more detail face to face. What a learning opportunity I missed. :)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Results from Buxton

Open Name Flags Score Fed. M/F Rating TPR W-We Prize
1st GM Arkell, Keith C Paignton 4.5 ENG M 2435 2630 0.99 £300
2nd= GM Hebden, Mark L Leicester 4 ENG M 2512 2471 -0.11 £75
2nd= IM Fernandez, Daniel Marple 4 SIN M 2349 2451 0.63 £75
2nd= Merry, Alan B Bury St Edmunds 4 ENG M 2138 2348 1.09 £75

Major Name Flags Score Fed. M/F Rating TPR W-We Prize
1st= Lawson, Maurice E Reading 4.5 ENG M 1877 2123 0.9 £225
1st= Tsoi, Leo Z Boldmere 4.5 ENG M 1774 2601 0.63 £225
3rd Burke, Mitchell R 3Cs 4 ENG M 1898 2123 0.95 £75

Minor Name Flags Score M/F Rating TPR W-We Prize
1 Wiggins, Andrew S Redditch 4 M 134 * 0 0 £105
2 Osborne, Keith C Lewes 4 M 133 * 0 0 £105
3 Walker, Roger Belper 4 M 128 * 0 0 £105
4 Neil, Graham Nomads 4 M 126 * 0 0 £105
5 Bramley, Douglas Spondon 4 M 117 * 0 0 £105

All games from Open and Major are downloadable from www.e2e4.org.uk

Everybody who spoke to me thought the hotel was brilliant. Judging by the number of people asking if we would be going back, I think this could be a very popular venue!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Clearly another great e2e4 event. Well done to Sean and the rest of the team!

Where e2e4 go, the 4NCL follow, and our Division 3 North will be at the Buxton Palace in around a year and a half's time (8-9 Feb 2014); who says we don't plan ahead?

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:41 am

One point to possible bear in mind for future events - and this is intended as a helpful suggestion and not a criticism - could it be put on the entry form that any prizemoney won at these events will not be paid out in cash after the tournament but that the organisers wish to have your bank details so they can forward any winnings direct into your account ?

Some people may be unaware of this and are expecting payment directly to themselves after the event. Therefore, they do not have their bank details with them at the competition and then have to send an e-mail with the details onto the organisers after the event - and, in the world we live in today, that is perhaps not the safest way of disclosing such information. Some others may also just not wish to give such personal details to a third party but at least they know the rules before entering the competition.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am

An outstanding weekend. Superb venue - the hall used on Sunday in particular was remarkable with enough room for every game to have its own table rather than sharing.

Well done to all concerned.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Alan Burke wrote:..... but that the organisers wish to have your bank details so they can forward any winnings direct into your account
In combination with dates of birth they collected on entry ?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Alan Burke wrote:One point to possible bear in mind for future events - and this is intended as a helpful suggestion and not a criticism - could it be put on the entry form that any prizemoney won at these events will not be paid out in cash after the tournament but that the organisers wish to have your bank details so they can forward any winnings direct into your account ?

Some people may be unaware of this and are expecting payment directly to themselves after the event. Therefore, they do not have their bank details with them at the competition and then have to send an e-mail with the details onto the organisers after the event - and, in the world we live in today, that is perhaps not the safest way of disclosing such information. Some others may also just not wish to give such personal details to a third party but at least they know the rules before entering the competition.
I do wish that people would bother to get their facts right before posting stuff like this. It really would be most helpful.

We don't hold prize giving ceremonies because they are usually poorly attended as most players, even those who have won something, want to get off home. We did try them in the early days but they were attended by a man and his dog if we were lucky. This meant we were sending out cheques anyway, so we decided to scrap the prize giving.

Therefore, we pay all prizes after the event. Players have a choice ; they can receive their prize by same day bank transfer, paypal transfer or cheque in the post. If they choose bank transfer then of course we need their bank details and these can be given to us there and then, sent electronically or phoned through - whatever the player prefers. Most players do opt for bank transfer. My guess is this is most convenient, especially as transfers are now instantaneous. That said, a couple of people at Buxton asked to be sent a cheque which is absolutely no problem.

Ironically, most people who don't want a bank transfer tend to pay their entry fee by cheque - a piece of paper with their bank sort code and account number on!

We're won't put this on entry forms for 3 reasons. Firstly, I don't think I've seen many entry forms, if any, that reference how prizes get paid. Secondly, it's all on our website anyway and thirdly, our entry form already references the t's & c's on the website.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:An outstanding weekend. Superb venue - the hall used on Sunday in particular was remarkable with enough room for every game to have its own table rather than sharing.

Well done to all concerned.
Thanks. Glad that you enjoyed it. The High Peak suite was to have been the venue for the whole weekend, but the hotel got a ball booking for the Saturday so we agreed to step aside. I'm sure we will be in there for the whole event if we go back to Buxton.