e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
John McKenna

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 pm

09:17 Andrew C>It's good here isn't it?<
"Even the bad times were good." (Bill Shankly)

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:[quote
The funniest thing was in the morning when I spoke to Ian Stephens who had also moved to Shrigley Hall. He said that the otel had been great and the dinner was lovely. He had even had a suite at the hotel. I said "wow" and he said "Yes, only an extra £5. I had the black forest gateaux".
Hi Sean, smiling at the above as it may imply that I had a Presidential Suite or something akin at Pott Shrigley for an upgrade of only £5! when I actually said "I had a dessert sweet" the Pannacotta for an extra £5. :lol:

I would like to commend you and your team Sean on the well run congress you provided at Buxton, The venue was superb and a delight to visit, The architecture at both Hotels was stunning.
It had been two years since I last played in an E2E4 event and found it to be even more popular than Warrington 2010 and the number of players in attendance bore testament to the events popularity considering you were running it alongside Sheffield congress. Again the playing conditions were very good and the competition fierce. The decant to Shrigley Hall went smooth, and thanks to Chris Doran and Graham Neil, my two dining partners for their company (Graham, who I had last met over the board in a merseyside league Div 2 match Liverpool v Formby some 24 years ago when Graham was just a nipper at 13, was able to gain his first tournament victory the following day with 4/5 in the minor, well done he!) I had the Duck for dinner, which was cooked superbly! I enjoyed my stay at both hotels and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, so I am hoping to return next year should the event return.

P.s. Sean did I attain a grading prize? I seemed nailed on for one.
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Ian Stephens wrote:P.s. Sean did I attain a grading prize? I seemed nailed on for one.
Indeed you did! £35 on it's way - though I'm not sure that winning it by 0.12 is nailed on! Well done - and thanks for the kind words, greatly appreciated!