Glorney Cup Round 1

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John McKenna

Re: Glorney Cup Round 1

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:49 am

Was the lack of proper sleeping accommodation only experienced by the 3 Scots? If so, you might think it negligent of the hosts to allow such a situation to arise.
I read Angus McDonald's post last night before he edited it and considerably toned it down. He had some right to be angry but it's good to see he is already learning the English art of compromise. To balance that I am sure GM Matthew Turner will help the Scottish youngsters develop an uncompromising style of play.
Last edited by John McKenna on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 am

Angus,
I have sent you a personal message

Jason,
There were a number of 'triple' rooms that consisted of two double beds. I know the Irish had similar problem to the Scots. Very unusually for the Puma, the staff were initially rather unhelpful, however they ended up doing their best and finding fold up beds to put in the rooms. I'm sure this was the best solution available at the time, whether people would want to do this in future years I don't know.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 am

The arrangement was that all juniors from all the federations up to the age of 18 were supposed to get the £6.50 discounted evening meal. If that didn't happen, please PM me with the details and I will take it up with Puma (as nobody from the ECF seems to be putting their hand up).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I assume from this, Peter Purland was in charge?

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?p=20445#more-20445
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 pm

That's right.

HLang

Post by HLang » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 am

Mike Truran wrote:The arrangement was that all juniors from all the federations up to the age of 18 were supposed to get the £6.50 discounted evening meal.
I've been off playing cricket in Cornwall this weekend, so haven't read any "unedited" posts. This may be for the best. I guess that the quoted information means that the thread is now dead?

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:59 am

The issue isn't dead Heather.

HLang

Post by HLang » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 pm

I am no longer sure what "the issue" is. There initially appeared to be an issue with Matthew, and then an issue with me when I made a post in which I cited facts (without expressing opinions, apart from my guess that Matthew was taking an active interest in how the team was getting on even when he was no longer present), and then an issue with other aspects of the tournament's organisation.

If the only issue remaining is the latter, then I guess I'm done here.
(Edit: As Mike has asked for details to be sent to him by PM, not as part of the thread.)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Angus is (I think) referring to the dinner discount. He has sent me details so that I can take things up with Puma on his son's behalf. Heather has also let me have the names of a couple of other cases (although I need a bit more info and have contacted Heather separately). If anyone else feels they have not received the dinner discount that they should have, please feel free to PM or email me with the details.

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 am

I don't know who you are representing Heather?

but I am representing my son who went to play for his country at The Glorney.
He was given the wrong information about prices for evening meals by all the organisers there and
Slept on a fold down bed for 4 nights whilst paying the same rate as everyone else.
The facts are not as is being stated by some of the organisers and mistakes were made.

I do wish to thank Mike Truran for clarifying things for me.

Why you think it's your position to try to shut me up about a complaint which has been proven to be bona fide I don't know??

I would like to know though?

And now you and Donald are allowing yourselves to be given the credit for resolving it.

Nothing surprises me anymore. With both of you thinking your position is to talk down to me.

I dont' think I'll bother sending my son again.

Thanks

Angus McDonald

HLang

Post by HLang » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:03 pm

I was just stating that my own participation in the discussion thread was done, as far as I could see. I know Mike fairly well as a local Oxfordshire organiser, as well as a national one, and respect his even-handed fairness and diplomacy.

When he had got himself involved (over and above the call of duty) and I had followed up his requests to see if there were any other players I knew of who had paid the wrong price, I didn't see what value could be gained from my continued participation in an internet discussion thread.