Role of the Manager of the British Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andrew Farthing

Re: Role of the Manager of the British Championships

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:If I'm reading matters correctly a Plymouth representative turned up unannounced and, in the absence of a director to refer him to, Lara had to deal with the situation as best she could.
No - only the fact that he came with a proposal for 2013 was a surprise. Lara tells me that she had been in communication with the Plymouth representative for some weeks prior to North Shields in relation to 2014 or 2015. This is wholly consistent with the role of the Manager in identifying potential venues for future championships.

With respect, you seem to have misunderstood my earlier point, which was that both Adam and I were readily contactable.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Andrew.

"I no longer have a life since the ECF came along."

It cannot be much fun getting kicked up and down in the forum either.

I like the Plymouth package. I also like Plymouth.
Chess has strong historical links with Plymouth.

(The captured Spanish ship at the Armada were dragged back to Plymough,
chopped up and carved into chess pieces.....that is probably not true but it won't
stop me arrving in Plymouth to sell Aramada Chess Pieces to the American tourists.)

How binding is this Torquay contract?

Can we not as Stewart suggested shut down the current ECF and start it
up again under a new name thereby annuling all previous contracts.
(something like Glasgow Rangers did a few weeks ago.)

How about 'Chess England.'
(my imagination frightens me sometimes....where do I get my idea from?)

Of course it cannot be much fun having to answer idiots like me either.
But I have come up wth a suggestion how we resolve this matter.
Can we do this?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Geoff >Can we not as Stewart suggested shut down the current ECF<

I didn't suggest that. I suggested the possibility in the future of splitting off sections.

The ECF seeks to be an honorable organisation. Your suggestion is at best unethical.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:I like the Plymouth package. I also like Plymouth.
Chess has strong historical links with Plymouth.
I like the Plymouth package too. I hope that it proves possible to go there at some time in the future. But not 2013.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I think we've possibly been at cross purposes and drifting from the original point which is that a forum contributor accused Lara of a `serious lapse of judgement` in mentioning the Plymouth offer at the championships (although as Roger de Coverly has mentioned the rumour was already going around the playing hall and the question might well still have been asked on this forum). I continue to think this comment was both unfair and also unjust given the work Lara put into delivering the 2012 championships.

Lara had to juggle dealing with a potential sponsor making a very generous offer (and if I was that person I would expect to be made welcome and treated with considerable courtesy even if my offer couldn't be accepted) and managing the event. That's the point I'm trying to make but it's not an overly important one.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Andrew.

You answered me. Thank you.

If you like the Plymouth package then why did you sign the Torquay package?

(A joke Andrew....a joke....no answer required.)

Hi Stewart.

"unethical......."

No such word in the cut and thrust of Seaside Tourism.

We have a product to sell, the 100th British Chess Championship.
Throw ethics out the window, let's all get rich.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm

In answer to why there was no Torquay presentation. This is my take on matters

I strongly believe Adam Raoof was asked if he had made arrangements for the Torquay people to come. In the past this has always been done by the person who made contact with the next venue or proposed venues when that was the case. I do not know why they did not come. Did Adam ask them to? If not why not? If he did ask them when did he do so?

I consider these simple but pertinent questions particularly as Andrew is persistantly claiming that Adam should have been contacted.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 pm

With regard to the lack of a survey.

I have conduced and collated the survey for most of the last umpteen years' events (possibly Liverpool was the exception). Lara asked me to make up some questions as usual. I declined to do so. The reasons for this were simply the Home Director had not provided any information on forward planning.

There has been no suggestion as to potential dates for 2014. There was some talk about staging it within the Commonwealth if held in Glasgow but the Home Director has not made any recent contact with the person planning to bid for that event (ie ME) nor the Chess Scotland Chief Exec. I have had some talk with the Manager but it is obvious from comments made by senior Board officials that she does not have the authority needed to carry out such radical changes.
There has been no suggestion from the Board of a proposed future structure to put to the players. I had been working on proposals but stopped immediately I was not reappointed. It seems that all planning stopped at the same time.

Without having suggestions on these it seemed pointless to me to put out a survey.

There was a comments box provided for the players on the ECF stall. Several comments were receivedvia this and verbal contact.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Roger wrote ... "There were a few "visit Torquay" brochures on the table of Congress leaflets, but I agree no presentation. The Riviera centre and Torquay are well enough known to most regulars so as not to need it."

Yes, maybe many people are already aware of the facilities in Torquay, but there are also many who are similarly unaware of them, so the usual presentation would have been handy for those - ie How many of those who have not previously attended Torquay realise they will not get free car parking at the Riviera Centre ? (This was a point raised with the Tyneside representative at last year's event and he therefore promised such free parking in 2012 - if a Torquay rep was there this year, perhaps players could have put the suggestion to him, but they were denied such an opportunity.)

Regarding Tromso in 2014; I can understand that several of our top players might have to make a decision if the two events clash, but any change of the timetable for the British would have to be balanced with the fact that the vast, vast majority of players who attend the fortnight will not be affected by events in Norway but might have to change their plans for something which doesn't affect them. There are points both for and against each suggestion, but I suppose it comes down to either making plans to suit the elite or the majority ?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 pm

The Riviera Centre have offered us 25% off last years rates.

They will make available for purchase from reception the following:

1 Day £6

3 Days £16           (£12)

4 Days £21           (£15.75)

5 Days £27           (£20.25)

6 Days £31           (£23.25)

7 Days £37           (£27.75)

Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Alan Burke wrote: Regarding Tromso in 2014; I can understand that several of our top players might have to make a decision if the two events clash, but any change of the timetable for the British would have to be balanced with the fact that the vast, vast majority of players who attend the fortnight will not be affected by events in Norway but might have to change their plans for something which doesn't affect them. There are points both for and against each suggestion, but I suppose it comes down to either making plans to suit the elite or the majority ?
True but I'm not sure what the point is of a British Championship that is potentially missing the top six players before you start - particularly as the championship already gets criticism (some fair, some unfair) but not attracting the top players. Also how many players in the other events attend mainly so they can play chess and watch the country's top players at the same time?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Alan Burke wrote:but I suppose it comes down to either making plans to suit the elite or the majority ?
That is of course the dilemma. The availability of otherwise of sponsorship would or might come into it, as a sponsor might well wish to see the elite players taking part. The Olympiad attracts a number of players as either spectators or captains/trainers for other teams, so it's not just the ten selected English players plus captains who would be absent. Not that they have been present in recent years, but on paper you've also got the absence of the Scots, Welsh, Irish and Channel Isles teams to consider.

For those players who are employed, it might be unlikely that they could attend both events even if they don't clash. It's also possible that even players who could play both events, might decline to do so if they were only a day or two apart.

Alex McF was suggesting that Chess Scotland might be running an event to tie in with the Glasgow Commonwealth games, the dates of which are 23rd July to 3rd August. So that's another potential factor.
(edit) The Commonwealth Games are being held in Glasgow, but without chess content. The Commonwealth point was that Chess Scotland are considering offering to host the Commonwealth Championships (/edit)

(edit) Arbiters and officials may want or need to be in Tromso also (/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Roger,

Sorry I wasn't clear. The event would be the Commonwealth Chess Championship but would definitely not take place on the same dates as the Commonwealth Games. The costs would be prohibitive. If we can use Commonwealth Games facilities then it is a real possibility.

A clash with the Olympiad could mean various officials not being able to attend either including arbiters, FIDE delegates and FIDE Officials.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
They will make available for purchase from reception the following:

1 Day £6

3 Days £16           (£12)

4 Days £21           (£15.75)

5 Days £27           (£20.25)

6 Days £31           (£23.25)

7 Days £37           (£27.75)

That's the same price as they quote as "Conference rates" on their website.

http://www.rivieracentre.co.uk/parking/

For those who don't know Torquay, there are numerous hotels within fifteen minutes walk of the Riviera Centre, some much less, which have off street parking or are situated in roads without parking restrictions. They are usually a bit more expensive than those without parking. But if you stay outside the area within walking distance and decide to commute by car, you've got the daily or weekly prices at the Riviera Centre as above. The Riviera Centre is not much above sea level, some nearby hotels are in an elevated position.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 am

Back in 1922, (I don't think Stewart was there?), there was a very strong tournament in England so the British Championship was not held, but the Major Open ran (and was won by RP Michell who would normally have been in the British). So there is a precedent for just not running the top section.

Having said that, unfortunately the British Championship rarely attracts the players who would be in the Olympiad team, so does a clash really matter? This presupposes we're still in FIDE as well.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey