Psychology of Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Psychology of Chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am

As the Book Reviews section has disappeared, I'll mention it here.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... y_of_Chess

By Fernand Gobet, described as "Professor of Decision Making and Expertise at the University of Liverpool, UK"

I didn't think that was a thing, (the job title, not the university), but a quick search showed it was. He is a proper chess player so I'm sure it's worth a read. Waterstones in Bath stocked it as well.

It's one of a series, some of the titles are pretty exotic. " The Psychology of Everything is a series of books which debunk the myths
and pseudo-science surrounding some of life’s biggest questions. " They have books on vampires, gender, driving, gardening, fashion, climate change (OK that has pseudo-science). I'll try to get around to reading them all.

JustinHorton

Re: Psychology of Chess

Post by JustinHorton » Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm

I have a copy, it's on my summer reading list. I was recommended it by Dr Andrew McGettigan, who some forum readers may recall wrote a series of articles on the World Championship match for the London Review of Books blog.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Andrew McGettigan also recommended it to me. Some of us have also heard Fernand Gobet speaking at the London Chess Conference.

Here's my take on the book.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Gobet is a legit researcher. I’ve not read the book but I have read a couple of his published journal articles.

What he has to say will be worth reading. The antithesis of the bluster and bull**it approach favoured by too many chess commentators