Resigning in a Winning Position

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: Resigning in a Winning Position

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

"... I have seen people hold out a hand to the opponent and then claim they were accepting a draw instead of resigning. I'm sure it happens accidentally, but you have to be wary of people trying to cheat."

Caveat lusor
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 pm
I have seen people hold out a hand to the opponent and then claim they were accepting a draw instead of resigning. I'm sure it happens accidentally, but you have to be wary of people trying to cheat.
I sat next to a game last year where precisely that occurred, only it wasn't accidental. However the player in a winning position just laughed at it.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Stopping the clock is normally seen (without any "unusual" circumstances) as a way of resigning, no?

That one might still be acceptable in a socially distanced environment, too.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 23, 2020 7:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm
I sat next to a game last year where precisely that occurred, only it wasn't accidental. However the player in a winning position just laughed at it.
This happened to me in an unofficial blitz tournament at a FIDE Congress. I was a rook up in an ending but with about one minute against two and my opponent tried to claim that he was saving me from being flagged. He was a chess journalist from Eastern Europe.

Kirsan was playing on an adjacent board but ignored the mild kerfuffle.