Chess game that I have just played

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

Chess game that I have just played

Post by David Blower » Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm

So I hope everyone is keeping safe under the lock down.

This game I played earlier today online against one of the children that I know in real life.

I was white in this game and won. However I want you to all comment from black's perspective. I of course have already looked at the game myself, ready to give some feedback, but I will allow you all to take a fresh look at it.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Chess game that I have just played

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 pm

He lasted a bit longer than he would have done had you played 8.Nxd5 Nxd5 9.Nxe5.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm

David Blower wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 f6
Don't coaches teach that whilst propping up a pawn on d5 with .. c6 is frequently a plausible idea, that doing the same to the e pawn with .. f6 usually isn't. To confuse matters it's a normal idea in the Exchange Spanish.

The problem being, as Jack notes, the tactical idea Nxe5 followed by Qh5 may be devastating.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am

Hi David,

In your effort to try and reconstruct the position where your opponent left their Queen hanging. You also failed to take the King.

White to play. David played 32.Qc1.

I'm thinking the mate would have more helpful to the young player (checkmate being more important than winning a Queen)

Yes playing 8.Nxe5 would have been a good lesson for them. You can tell a young player moves like f6 opening up the
h5-e8 diagonal allowing Qh5+ can be, and often is, disastrous. But It's not until it happens to them the lesson sinks home.

"There are two kinds of chess player, those who have been back rank mated and those who are going to be back rank mated." Russian proverb.
(You can show dozens of examples but they must feel the burn to know how much it stings.)

Opponent was alert enough to realise here:

25...Bxe6 26. Qxe6+ either mates the Black King or losses the f8 Rook so letting the Bishop go was best although it looks like a blunder.

There you can point out the dangers of having undefended pieces (the h3 Bishop and f8 Rook) in a position when
there is a check on the board can also lead to a disaster, though in this case the lesson seems to have been learned.
(sadly that one needs topping up again and again, non mating combinations very often feature undefended pieces.)

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed May 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have just sent him some puzzles which have undefended pieces all of which I have picked up on chesskid.com