David Miller
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6646
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
David Miller
Part of an obituary reads,
"David Miller joined the Somerset House (now Inland Revenue) Club in 1901 and he continued active membership until 1960. At this stage he retired from Civil Service chess but continued to play for the Hampstead Club, near his home. However, he remained a Vice-President of the Revenue Club until his death, so the connection with the Club lasted more than 70 years!"
He died January 1972, and assume he was born 1880ish. He played in the British Championship in 1913 (and apparently had a game lasting 168 moves, not on Britbase). He probably played in others but I haven't really looked.
If anyone has a date of birth or more accurate date of death etc., that info would be very welcome.
"David Miller joined the Somerset House (now Inland Revenue) Club in 1901 and he continued active membership until 1960. At this stage he retired from Civil Service chess but continued to play for the Hampstead Club, near his home. However, he remained a Vice-President of the Revenue Club until his death, so the connection with the Club lasted more than 70 years!"
He died January 1972, and assume he was born 1880ish. He played in the British Championship in 1913 (and apparently had a game lasting 168 moves, not on Britbase). He probably played in others but I haven't really looked.
If anyone has a date of birth or more accurate date of death etc., that info would be very welcome.
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2164
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: David Miller
If you go to BritBase...
https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/1 ... iewer.html
... and travel to near the bottom of the page, you will have most of your questions answered.
https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/1 ... iewer.html
... and travel to near the bottom of the page, you will have most of your questions answered.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: David Miller
I'm pretty sure I played D Miller, probably in Combined Universities v Metropolitan in March 1950 during the CU London week. All I can recollect about the game is that he was too passive and I eventually ground him down in the ending.
Last edited by Leonard Barden on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6646
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: David Miller
"If you go to BritBase..."
Aaaargh! I didn't scroll down that far. I should have known you would anticipate my question. I also notice several other CS players of interest, including Jimmy Mahood. Mystery surrounds his expertise with a rifle, which is not totally necessary to work in Paymaster General's Office, but I doubt is an impediment.
My advice to all chess historians - "Look properly at Britbase before making yourself look an idiot (again) by asking dumb questions."
Aaaargh! I didn't scroll down that far. I should have known you would anticipate my question. I also notice several other CS players of interest, including Jimmy Mahood. Mystery surrounds his expertise with a rifle, which is not totally necessary to work in Paymaster General's Office, but I doubt is an impediment.
My advice to all chess historians - "Look properly at Britbase before making yourself look an idiot (again) by asking dumb questions."
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6646
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: David Miller
"I'm pretty sure I played D Miller"
He was active for Inland Revenue (on board 2, below EG Sergeant) until 1960 then played for Hampstead, so he was certainly around in 1950. He wasn't a great believer in opening theory, relying on his "skill in combinative middle games", so a good result for the much younger player!
He was active for Inland Revenue (on board 2, below EG Sergeant) until 1960 then played for Hampstead, so he was certainly around in 1950. He wasn't a great believer in opening theory, relying on his "skill in combinative middle games", so a good result for the much younger player!
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2164
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: David Miller
Yes, spot on, Leonard. BCM, May 1950, p150, records that Combined Universities played Metropolitan on Monday 20 March 1950, winning 11-4. You beat D. Miller on top board. The following day you beat Jonathan Penrose on board 2 vs Hampstead (though Hampstead won 11½-7½). On the Wednesday your team lost to West London 8½-11½, with Cambridge alumnus Alexander taking over on board 1. On the Thursday the Universities lost to the Insurance club by 8½-11½, this time with Oxford alumnus Dr Aitken on board 1. No record of your own performances in those games, but on the Friday you beat former British champion Broadbent to complete a 4½/5 score for the week as the Universities beat the Civil Service by 9-8.Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pmI'm pretty sure I played D Miller, probably in Combined Universities v Metropolitan in March 1950 during the CU London week. All I can recollect about the game is that he was too passive and I eventually ground him down in the ending.
I haven't found the Miller game but I have the first few moves of the Penrose win:
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2164
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: David Miller
Regarding the ultra-long game played in the 1913 British Championship, I've just stumbled on this withering comment in BCM, 1913, p432:Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:27 pm[David Miller] played in the British Championship in 1913 (and apparently had a game lasting 168 moves, not on Britbase). He probably played in others but I haven't really looked.
At this point I would normally issue a plea for people to search out the game, but given BCM's warning, I'm not so sure I want to see it in this case. (Perhaps I should have described the game as über-long. Jokes about taxis are also available. If only we had a photo, we could caption it "Miller waiting for an Uber.")BCM, 1913, p32 wrote:Miller and Uber were partners in a game of which we can sincerely say that we hope we shall never look upon its like again. It lasted thirteen hours and three-quarters, ending with mate on the 166th move, Uber no doubt continuing to the bitter end in the sheer spirit of mischief.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6646
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: David Miller
I managed to restrain myself re cabs... How about "Miller grinds out victory."