Race Representation Index report

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10565
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Race Representation Index report

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 pm

I came across this Guardian piece about "the inaugural Race Representation Index", compiled by the charity Sporting Equals and downloadable here. The Index seeks to track racial diversity (and progress in increasing same) across the governing bodies of different sports, in their governance, leadership, hiring and appointments etc.

I'm aware that our game is not viewed officially as a sport in the UK and that our Federation was not contacted in connection with the report, but naturally I was curious as to how we would get on were we invited to take part in such a survey.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:19 pm

JustinHorton wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 pm
I was curious as to how we would get on were we invited to take part in such a survey.
C for the board if I understand the methodology, on the basis 8% of the board is Shohreh. I'd guess similar in other tiers, although I doubt anyone knows or could find out.
Last edited by Paul Cooksey on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks
Posts: 9283
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 pm

.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Apologies to Shohreh. I have now corrected

NickFaulks
Posts: 9283
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Do we know whether nations in Asia and Africa are tracked by these indices?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Richard Thursby
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: origin + pathname + search + hash

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by Richard Thursby » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:14 pm
Do we know whether nations in Asia and Africa are tracked by these indices?
Given it's a British institution, probably not, simply by definition of remit.

At least one nation in Africa had something similar at one stage, otherwise the final day of the 2005 Ashes may have looked rather different.

User avatar
Chris Goodall
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Race Representation Index report

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:21 pm

JustinHorton wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 pm
I'm aware that our game is not viewed officially as a sport in the UK and that our Federation was not contacted in connection with the report, but naturally I was curious as to how we would get on were we invited to take part in such a survey.
It's dangerous to speculate. Someone is guaranteed to mistake an Is for an Ought.
Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Post Reply