NH Chess Tournament 2010

The very latest International round up of English news.
Eoin Devane

Re: NH Chess Tournament 2010

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I find it remarkable that all these leagues permit (and seemingly to some extent expect) games within the same match to be played at different time controls. It is supposed to be a team competition, so my view is that the whole team should play under the same rules.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Eoin Devane wrote:I find it remarkable that all these leagues permit (and seemingly to some extent expect) games within the same match to be played at different time controls. It is supposed to be a team competition, so my view is that the whole team should play under the same rules.
I think most leagues like to offer flexibility, and hence they have far too many options for the time controls. That would be tied in with the being able to choose down to a board level, rather than a team level. This gets sillier in London with the Athenaeum (which I don't know how to spell) situation, where one team has completely different rules from everyone else.

If it's one league, I don't see what's wrong with everyone in the league playing under the same time control, with all games ending in one session. The time control should be a footnote to the rules, rather than have half a page devoted to it.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I think most leagues like to offer flexibility, and hence they have far too many options for the time controls. That would be tied in with the being able to choose down to a board level, rather than a team level. This gets sillier in London with the Athenaeum (which I don't know how to spell) situation, where one team has completely different rules from everyone else.

If it's one league, I don't see what's wrong with everyone in the league playing under the same time control, with all games ending in one session. The time control should be a footnote to the rules, rather than have half a page devoted to it.
I completely agree.