English Arbiters to suffer???

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Lara Barnes

Re: English Arbiters to suffer???

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

To Nigel Short
Of course I should have said that I did not send a personal invite, you were, of course, included in the general offer of conditions that I put on this forum and on the Championship Website. Most people contacted me asking what conditions were available.

If 'prejudice' is deciding something after being told 'facts and evidence' by several usually reliable organisers then I am guilty of that. I think we all have to pre-judge at times when doing a job.
My personal feelings towards your previous statements about me do not matter. I am organising our national Championships and will treat everyone professionally and as fairly as possible. I will, as I have always done, go out of my way at every opportunity to help others, build bridges and serve chessplayers of all levels.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I suggest this post is allowed to stand. There is something to be said for honesty
It is understandable for Nigel to request a certain fee and then perhaps decline, Lara could perhaps ask him directly via PM but the additional comment I felt was un-called for, perhaps that was just me?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Carl I think the comment should be left for all to read. It does convey something of the problems that infect our game at national level.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Nigel Short wrote: Michael Adams (ranked 19th in the world) has a higher market value than Aaron Summerscale (ranked 1717th )
In Britain, unfortunately, neither has a very high market value - judge by the number of potential sponsors fighting it out following last year's event.
Indeed my experience has been that a sponsor would rather have 12 GMs of lower status than one top 20 but still not in the top 5. I'm not saying this is correct but it is a fact of economical life.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:I suggest this post is allowed to stand. There is something to be said for honesty
It is understandable for Nigel to request a certain fee and then perhaps decline, Lara could perhaps ask him directly via PM but the additional comment I felt was un-called for, perhaps that was just me?
I think it was un called for too - that's why I think it should stand.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I think it was un called for too - that's why I think it should stand.
Fine, the rather petty comment will remain...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Mind you, you could probably close the thread here without too much damage.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I had planned to play in the British this year but having read this thread I've changed my mind. I would not enjoy the poisonous atmosphere that will surround the event.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Peter Sowray wrote:I had planned to play in the British this year but having read this thread I've changed my mind. I would not enjoy the poisonous atmosphere that will surround the event.
I think that's what a very tiny minority seem to want. Supporting the event, even as a spectator, and drawing on the positives of a festival celebrating chess in Britain is the best thing anybody can do.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Peter Sowray wrote "I would not enjoy the poisonous atmosphere that will surround the event."

Peter, If I have given this impression please tell me how, you are a valued and long standing player at the event and I would be very sad if you had been put off entering by something I have said or done. I have tried all year not to get involved in anything contentious but had to reply to the accusation by Mr Short that this years' event would be poor. I thought that I had done so in a professional matter but will withdraw anything you feel untoward.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm

That's sad Peter. The problem does go back to last year and the aftermath of the British but I doubt those who wish to spout poison will turn up at what will be a cracking event. Lara does not do unhappy events and she's doing it notwithstanding how her partner has been treated by some of the ECF board

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Lara Barnes initially wrote that I was probably the only GM that she didn't bother to invite for the reason I was too expensive. She now admits this is not the case at all, and there were plenty of other people she hadn't invited either - although a number of (presumably far lower-rated) GMs had contacted her asking for conditions. I suggest her initial remarks were nothing more than a cheap attempt to besmirch my character and that Mr Hibbard is totally misdirecting his complaint.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 pm

As usual I will be supplying the ECF hosting for live games without charge

I am afraid however that I have retired from chess and will not be attending personally
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Nigel Short wrote:I suggest her initial remarks were nothing more than a cheap attempt to besmirch my character and that Mr Hibbard is totally misdirecting his complaint.
It is Carl by the way and you appear to be digging a bigger hole with this nonsense
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Lara Barnes wrote:Peter Sowray wrote "I would not enjoy the poisonous atmosphere that will surround the event."

Peter, If I have given this impression please tell me how, you are a valued and long standing player at the event and I would be very sad if you had been put off entering by something I have said or done. I have tried all year not to get involved in anything contentious but had to reply to the accusation by Mr Short that this years' event would be poor. I thought that I had done so in a professional matter but will withdraw anything you feel untoward.
You did reply in a professional manner so why offer to withdraw anything. It was Nigel who tried to put a down on your event by saying it would be a low key affair and that must be hard to swallow given all your hard work(and having a day job as well)