When Anteaters Attack II - Reform of the British

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: When Anteaters Attack II - Reform of the British

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:08 pm

JustinHorton wrote:That being that most of them are dead?

Hmmm, I do wonder if Roger was referring to one ex-champion in particular :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Matt, you have to be careful! A former champion's amanuensis might jump to the erroneous conclusion that you are criticising his master, when you really are trying to point out that another former champion is on the run.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

I think the obvious problem is that there are relatively few veterans one could call upon for a former champions tournament. Most of those still living are either long retired and unlikely to be tempted back into active play or are still strong enough to enter the championship proper. How would you deal with the 2002 and 2003 champions who won when Commonwealth players were still allowed to enter?

One could always invite the 1972 champion if you knew where to find him. It would be his own silly fault if he turned up.

Going off topic but I found myself looking at the list of champions on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Chess_Championship.

Who is the oldest living champion and who is the earliest champion still living? I'm assuming both distinctions belong to Leonard Barden (born 1929, won 1954), however there are a few obscure champions from the 1940s who could conceivably still be alive.

I was also under the impression that England's great `lost` chess talent Gordon Crown had won the title but apparently I was mistaken.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 pm

I notice, with regard to former champions, that the late Eileen Tranmer has a Polish Wikipedia page but not an English one. Anybody fancy doing the business?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I was about to say something, but then saw Leonard watching!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:18 pm

All the male champions before Barden are now deceased (R F Combe died just a few years after winning the title)

With the passing of Elaine Saunders/Pritchard not long ago, that is almost certainly true of the pre-1954 women too (with the faintly possible exception of the truly mysterious "Miss Fatima", allegedly born in 1914) Anne Sunnucks - first win in 1957 - is most certainly still with us, and there is also Joan Doulton (the co-champ in 1955) who neither (seemingly) Wikipedia or myself know anything about whatsoever :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:All the male champions before Barden are now deceased (R F Combe died just a few years after winning the title)

With the passing of Elaine Saunders/Pritchard not long ago, that is almost certainly true of the pre-1954 women too (with the faintly possible exception of the truly mysterious "Miss Fatima", allegedly born in 1914) Anne Sunnucks - first win in 1957 - is most certainly still with us, and there is also Joan Doulton (the co-champ in 1955) who neither (seemingly) Wikipedia or myself know anything about whatsoever :)
I've just made a further post picking up on some further points (including the ladies champions - many of whom are completely forgotten now). However I've moved it to chess history.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own