Timeline for 2800 ratings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 pm
I think we have a while to wait. An exciting 2017 for younger juniors rising to 2500, but no-one in the 18-20 range making big strides at the moment.
er, oops. I see Ding Liren became the 14th player to pass 2800 on the live list today, Impressive form this year.

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 am

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2018/1/1/2

Ding Liren is now winning game two of the four-game match as well after loose play by Topalov. This could easily end up 3.5-0.5 or 4-0 which would advance Ding to 2810-15 and so within ten points of Caruana and Mamedyarov, who are Nos 2 and 3 in the rankings.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7067
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 am

Game 2 drawn; good to see Ding back playing after his accident

I can't see he is due to play again this month, so presumably his rating at the end of this match will be the published September rating

EDIT Ding needs to win the match 3 - 1 to get a 2800+ rating
Last edited by Mick Norris on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Leonard Barden
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Ding could have gone the exchange and two pawns up with a clear win at move 32, but chose a much weaker plan and failed to convert.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7067
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Ding drew game 3 and won game 4 to take hsi live rating to 2804.2 (which is the 13th highest of all time)

That should take his September rating to 2804 and add him to the list
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7067
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:25 am
As of 1 June 2017: a timeline for when the members (past and present) of the 2800 club (those with a FIDE rating of 2800 or above) first achieved that distinction, with their ages:

*January 1990 - Garry Kasparov (2800) aged 26 (peak - 2856; March 2000)
*July 2001 - Vladimir Kramnik (2802) aged 26 (peak - 2812; June 2016)
*January 2006 - Veselin Topalov (2801) aged 30 (peak - 2816; July 2015)
*April 2006 - Viswanathan Anand (2803) aged 36 (peak - 2817; March 2011)
*November 2009 - Magnus Carlsen (2801) aged 18 (peak - 2882; May 2014)
*November 2010 - Levon Aronian (2801) aged 28 (peak - 2830; March 2014)
*August 2014 - Fabiano Caruana (2801) aged 22 (peak - 2844; October 2014)
*December 2014 - Alexander Grischuk (2810) aged 31 (peak - 2810; December 2014)
*June 2015 - Hikaru Nakamura (2802) aged 27 (peak - 2814; July 2015)
*August 2016 - Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (2819) aged 25 (peak - 2819; August 2016)
*January 2017 - Wesley So (2808) age 23 (peak - 2822; February 2017)
*June 2017 - Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (2800) age 32 (peak - 2804; January 2018)

The peak ratings are as of June 2017, and some may change later. Only five people have ever been above 2820 on a published rating list.

EDIT: Updated Mamedyarov's peak rating for the forthcoming January 2018 list.
Revisions to peak ratings
Kramnik 2817 Oct 2016
Shak 2814 Feb & April 2018
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 7067
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:19 am

Ding in at 2804 in the September list

Shak's highest rating goes up to 2820
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:54 am

Ding Liren has reached a new peak for his live rating (2811.2 as of 5 October 2018), and Mamedyarov as well (2826.2 on 30 September 2018). However, I think this timeline is dealing only with the published monthly ratings?

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 pm

As of 6 October 2018: a timeline for when the members (past and present) of the 2800 club (those with a FIDE rating of 2800 or above) first achieved that distinction, with their ages:

*January 1990 - Garry Kasparov (2800) aged 26 (peak - 2856; March 2000)
*July 2001 - Vladimir Kramnik (2802) aged 26 (peak - 2817; October 2016)
*January 2006 - Veselin Topalov (2801) aged 30 (peak - 2816; July 2015)
*April 2006 - Viswanathan Anand (2803) aged 36 (peak - 2817; March 2011)
*November 2009 - Magnus Carlsen (2801) aged 18 (peak - 2882; May 2014)
*November 2010 - Levon Aronian (2801) aged 28 (peak - 2830; March 2014)
*August 2014 - Fabiano Caruana (2801) aged 22 (peak - 2844; October 2014)
*December 2014 - Alexander Grischuk (2810) aged 31 (peak - 2810; December 2014)
*June 2015 - Hikaru Nakamura (2802) aged 27 (peak - 2814; July 2015)
*August 2016 - Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (2819) aged 25 (peak - 2819; August 2016)
*January 2017 - Wesley So (2808) age 23 (peak - 2822; February 2017)
*June 2017 - Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (2800) age 32 (peak - 2820; September 2018)
*September 2018 - Ding Liren (2804) age 25 (peak - 2804; September 2018)

The peak ratings are as of the October 2018 list, and some may change later. Only five people have ever been above 2820 on a published rating list.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Looking at those under 25 [Carlsen and Caruana are ancient now at 27 and 26 respectively] who are rated above 2700, who might have a chance of reaching 2800 any time soon?

Giri (24) [live rating 2786, Netherlands]
Yu Yangyi (24) [live rating 2760, China]
Duda (20) [live rating 2731, Poland]
Wei Yi (19) [live rating 2728, China]
Rapport (22) [live rating 2725, Hungary]
Fedoseev (23) [live rating 2713, Russia]
Artemiev (20) [live rating 2706, Russia]
Dubov (22) [live rating 2703, Russia]
Vidit (23) [live rating 2702, India]

And what about the rest of the youngsters rated below 2700? They need to join the 2700 club first, but some will doubtless rise to the 2800 level (those in the top 100 aged U25 include Maghsoodloo, Robson, Cori, Kovalev, Hou Yifan, Van Kampen, Xiong and Swiercz). Do any of the older players (over 25) still have what it takes to work their way up the rating list to reach 2800?

[Still hanging in there at number 100 in the world on the current live rating list is the newly minted FIDE Vice President Nigel Short.]

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17387
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Looking at those under 25 [Carlsen and Caruana are ancient now at 27 and 26 respectively] who are rated above 2700, who
It may depend on who can get the invites to elite events and whether they can survive when they get there.

With question marks over FIDE's relationship with Agon possibly affecting a Grand Prix series, how will the next set of Candidates be determined?

Organisers may find it difficult to invite both Maghsoodloo and Israeli players.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Looking at those under 25 [Carlsen and Caruana are ancient now at 27 and 26 respectively] who are rated above 2700, who
It may depend on who can get the invites to elite events and whether they can survive when they get there.

With question marks over FIDE's relationship with Agon possibly affecting a Grand Prix series, how will the next set of Candidates be determined?

Organisers may find it difficult to invite both Maghsoodloo and Israeli players.
That is a good point (though maybe better raised in another thread). Have there ever been any Arab or non-Israeli Middle Eastern players in the top echelons of chess before. Salem, who is also more recent, is the only one I can think of?

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Why not try another idea.
people who have scored 100% in a 9 round or longer tournament. Or people who have very high TPR in a tournament.
Perhaps this should be a new thread.
i'll start it of with the most obvious
Fischer US Champ 1963-4. 11/11.

NickFaulks
Posts: 4519
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Organisers may find it difficult to invite both Maghsoodloo and Israeli players.
They can invite him, they can't make him accept. In any case, there are no young Israelis close to being invited to elite events.

Mick Norris
Posts: 7067
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 pm
As of 6 October 2018: a timeline for when the members (past and present) of the 2800 club (those with a FIDE rating of 2800 or above) first achieved that distinction, with their ages:

*January 1990 - Garry Kasparov (2800) aged 26 (peak - 2856; March 2000)
*July 2001 - Vladimir Kramnik (2802) aged 26 (peak - 2817; October 2016)
*January 2006 - Veselin Topalov (2801) aged 30 (peak - 2816; July 2015)
*April 2006 - Viswanathan Anand (2803) aged 36 (peak - 2817; March 2011)
*November 2009 - Magnus Carlsen (2801) aged 18 (peak - 2882; May 2014)
*November 2010 - Levon Aronian (2801) aged 28 (peak - 2830; March 2014)
*August 2014 - Fabiano Caruana (2801) aged 22 (peak - 2844; October 2014)
*December 2014 - Alexander Grischuk (2810) aged 31 (peak - 2810; December 2014)
*June 2015 - Hikaru Nakamura (2802) aged 27 (peak - 2814; July 2015)
*August 2016 - Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (2819) aged 25 (peak - 2819; August 2016)
*January 2017 - Wesley So (2808) age 23 (peak - 2822; February 2017)
*June 2017 - Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (2800) age 32 (peak - 2820; September 2018)
*September 2018 - Ding Liren (2804) age 25 (peak - 2804; September 2018)

The peak ratings are as of the October 2018 list, and some may change later. Only five people have ever been above 2820 on a published rating list.
Ding now 2816 in the November 2018 list
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Post Reply