Junk Email from Tournament Organisers

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Bill Porter

Re: Junk Email from Tournament Organisers

Post by Bill Porter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Paul:
My understanding of spam is that it is sending large numbers of ( very cheap ) unsolicited emails in hopes that ( say ) one person in a thousand will respond in a commercially worthwhile way.
The ECF only commercially mails members who have consented in advance.
Adam has made clear that consent is irrelevant to him.
A spammer doesn't care how many people's time he wastes.
I've done similar things to to get a team together etc; it's only spam if you're trying to make money out of it or ( arguably ) knowingly sending unwanted emails.
Michael:
IanDavis was simply clarifying how Adam created the spam; 'tiny' surely referred to the effort rather than the intent.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Michael J R White wrote: Ian Davis hasn't offered a technical correction.
No one in their right minds would use the word "simply" to describe an action, where that action requires more steps than have been explicitly stated. That is, unless their intention is to deceive, cause a wind up / etc.
Indeed, the "tiny" steps Ian Davis mentions, that aren't included in the original post, take greater time to implement than the action of hitting reply all.
So Ian Davis is massively wrong.
Michael J R White is just being childish now. The word simply is normally used for simple things. Naturally additional steps take some time, but lets face it, they don't take a lot of time.

Code: Select all

Hit reply-all
Click
Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X
Click
Ctrl-V into your template email
By way of analogy

What did you do this morning?
I simply ate breakfast.
No you did not! Liar! You woke up, you got out of bed, you opened the fridge...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 am

Michael J R White wrote:I've started to receive emails, from Adam Raoof, advertising his tournaments.
Has he broken any advertising, marketing, data privacy or spamming laws doing this?
Given his track record, there is simply no way I would have requested to receive distributions from him.
Going back to the original question, although my email address is known to the ECF and to several other chess organisers, I have not received any material promoting Hendon, Golders Green or related events.
Adam R wrote:Do you mean this one? I just hit 'reply to all' to a 'spam' email from our captain advertising a blitz tournament... perhaps he should use blind copies in future?
If, as claimed by AR, it was a "reply all" posting, then there would have been an original posting to MJRW and others by the unnamed organiser that AR replied to.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:09 am

IanDavis wrote:
Michael J R White wrote: -- Text Omitted --
So Ian Davis is massively wrong.
Michael J R White is just being childish now. -- Text Omitted --
Ian,

Image Image Image

Nick Murphy

Post by Nick Murphy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 am

I have made some bad choices in my life, and reviving this dying thread is right up there. I apologise to everyone who has spent precious moments of their life wading through this torrent of petulant rubbish (interspersed with a few sound comments and rational thought from the odd sane person, here and there). You will never get those moments back, and for that I am truly sorry.

As a stooge/supporter/abuser/troll feeder, I should know better.

From now on, I will just delete or block anyone who sends messages that annoy me.

Perhaps others should do the same.
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."