The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 am

What's the diference between
I would prefer White.
and
I prefer White.?

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: The English Language

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 am

No difference.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: The English Language

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:03 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am
What's the difference between
I should play blah blah blah
and
I must play blah blah blah
?
If you MUST play something, the implication is that harm will befall your position if you do not. "Should" is probably not as strong.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:03 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am
What's the difference between
I should play blah blah blah
and
I must play blah blah blah
?
If you MUST play something, the implication is that harm will befall your position if you do not. "Should" is probably not as strong.
So 'Should' means it is right and appropriate?

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: The English Language

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:03 pm

"Should" can be taken as implying it is the best choice in that position.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am

What does 'to come' mean in:
with 15 Qe3 0-0 16.Nd2 dS (forced; otherwise Bd3 and f4-fS) 17 f4 dxe4 I8 Ndxe4 and.Bd3 to come, I can preserve a pleasant spatial advantage.

Andy Stoker
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Andy Stoker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 am

"To come" - here means something that will happen in the future ... something that will come to pass.

In your example, I think white is saying the s/he intends (expects) to play Bd3 soon

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm

What's the difference between
my d1-rook will be ready to invade Black's camp in the near future.
and
my d1-rook will be ready to attack Black's camp in the near future.
?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17014
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm
What's the difference between
"invade" suggests that the Rook on d1 will move up the d file, to d6 or d7 perhaps, while "attack" suggests the Rook will stay on d1 threatening any Black pawns or pieces that might also be on the file.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:02 pm
What's the difference between
"invade" suggests that the Rook on d1 will move up the d file, to d6 or d7 perhaps, while "attack" suggests the Rook will stay on d1 threatening any Black pawns or pieces that might also be on the file.
So invade = penetrate?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17014
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm
So invade = penetrate?
It would convey the same meaning.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm
So invade = penetrate?
It would convey the same meaning.
Does it differ from agression?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

What does it mean that
" A path towards that direction is" blah blah blah?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2450
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

What's the difference between a "plus" and an "advantage"?

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: The English Language

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:03 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm
What's the difference between a "plus" and an "advantage"?
Very much the same thing!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Post Reply