Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice
Posts: 3295
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am

Chris Rice wrote:Time is almost up for the Bulgarian Chess Federation "Bulgarian Ministry of Youth & Sport has given 7 days (from 1st August) to the Bulgarian Chess Federation to reimburse the unlawfully and inappropriately spent funds in the amount of BGN 2.097.461 (approx 1 million EUR) to the bank account of the Ministry." What will they do if the BCF don't cough up I wonder?
In a press release issued yesterday, it was stated that due to the existence of arrears, which still haven't been paid, the Ministry of Youth and Sports (MMC), the ministry's licensing committee, took a unanimous decision to propose to the Minister not to renew the Bulgarian Chess Federation's sports license. In view of the protection of the public interest, the MMC has taken measures in accordance with the Bulgarian legislation for the collection of the amounts due.

Assume this means a few rather large guys will be visiting the BCF offices soon to educate the occupants that its in their best interests to pay what they owe...

NickFaulks
Posts: 7427
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:Assume this means a few rather large guys will be visiting the BCF offices soon to educate the occupants that its in their best interests to pay what they owe...
In this instance, I don't imagine that an appeal to CAS will get them far.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 20188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

Chris Rice wrote: Assume this means a few rather large guys will be visiting the BCF offices soon to educate the occupants that its in their best interests to pay what they owe...
Presumably it means that the Bulgarian chess federation will be put into their equivalent of a bankruptcy hearing. The money reclaimed will, one presumes, long since have been spent or siphoned off.

Do we expect to see a new "clean hands" federation applying for recognition from the Bulgarian ministry, ECU and FIDE?

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 9718
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Chris Rice wrote:I note from previous posts that Nick does not have a high opinion of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), I'm beginning to see why after reading this latest press release on Sakotic.
I admit that my eyes glazed over early doors (and it didn't help that I was trying to read it on a smartphone) but is it fair comment that it basically says "all this is obviously dodgy but we can't actually prove it was Sakotic"?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 20188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 pm

JustinHorton wrote:but is it fair comment that it basically says "all this is obviously dodgy but we can't actually prove it was Sakotic"?
That's a reasonable synopsis. The mysterious ECU Inc of Delaware that emerged in the Bulgarian investigations also surfaces. It seems facilitating dubious transactions isn't unknown in the American corporate world.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 6040
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 pm

All Bulgarian players now show as unlicensed on the FIDE rating server.

If you search by country you find "There are no players in the requested country" https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=BUL whilst a search for players brings up: "Not Licensed Player. Extra fees for tournament Organizers are applicable. Please refer to FIDE Handbook or proceed to get license." https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2900114

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 6040
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:All Bulgarian players now show as unlicensed on the FIDE rating server.

If you search by country you find "There are no players in the requested country" https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=BUL whilst a search for players brings up: "Not Licensed Player. Extra fees for tournament Organizers are applicable. Please refer to FIDE Handbook or proceed to get license." https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2900114
They've now had a change of heart and the Bulgarian players, whilst still showing as FID, are now labelled as "Licensed"

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:All Bulgarian players now show as unlicensed on the FIDE rating server.

If you search by country you find "There are no players in the requested country" https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=BUL whilst a search for players brings up: "Not Licensed Player. Extra fees for tournament Organizers are applicable. Please refer to FIDE Handbook or proceed to get license." https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2900114
They've now had a change of heart and the Bulgarian players, whilst still showing as FID, are now labelled as "Licensed"
Do we know it was a change of heart?

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 6040
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:All Bulgarian players now show as unlicensed on the FIDE rating server.

If you search by country you find "There are no players in the requested country" https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=BUL whilst a search for players brings up: "Not Licensed Player. Extra fees for tournament Organizers are applicable. Please refer to FIDE Handbook or proceed to get license." https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2900114
They've now had a change of heart and the Bulgarian players, whilst still showing as FID, are now labelled as "Licensed"
Do we know it was a change of heart?
Possibly more a case of not realising what they were doing when they did the server update.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 20188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: Possibly more a case of not realising what they were doing when they did the server update.
According to
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... sions.html
EB-2017/13. To temporarily exclude the Bulgarian Chess Federation.

EB-2017/14. To approve that the players from Bulgaria to play under FIDE flag.

EB-2017/15. To form a Committee to check the possibility of FIDE of registering tournaments of Bulgaria.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 6040
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: Possibly more a case of not realising what they were doing when they did the server update.
According to
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... sions.html
EB-2017/13. To temporarily exclude the Bulgarian Chess Federation.

EB-2017/14. To approve that the players from Bulgaria to play under FIDE flag.

EB-2017/15. To form a Committee to check the possibility of FIDE of registering tournaments of Bulgaria.
Yes. I suspect they hadn't realised that every single player would end up showing as "unlicensed" and be required to pay €60 to play again.

NickFaulks
Posts: 7427
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Yes. I suspect they hadn't realised that every single player would end up showing as "unlicensed" and be required to pay €60 to play again.
The EB operates on a higher plane, and I'm sure would consider that level of detail far beneath it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 6040
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... iners.html

Bulgarian Players, Arbiters and Trainers

Following the decision of the Executive Board to temporarily exclude the Bulgarian Chess Federation, the following measures are now in place.

Chess players under the FIDE flag

Players, arbiters, trainers etc. formerly representing the Bulgarian Chess Federation, are now registered under the FIDE flag. They are licensed to participate in FIDE rated tournaments.

According to the Regulations for Registration and Licensing for players, art. 2.10: ‘FIDE flag players’ are not allowed to compete in FIDE and Continental events. However, Bulgarian Players who became, after FIDE decision, ‘FIDE flag players’ will have the right to participate in FIDE Individual Championships registering individually and paying the respective FIDE fee for additional players.


Tournaments

No tournaments taking place in Bulgaria can be registered and rated by FIDE.
Tournament results submitted before the decisions EB-2017/13 and 14 come to effect shall be rated. The list of these tournaments can be found here.

‘FIDE flag players’ may participate in title norm tournaments. The following clarifications of the Title Regulations must be taken into account:
(1.43) “At least two federations other than that of the title applicant must be included” These Federations must be National Federations. ‘FIDE flag players’ are not taken into account to fulfil requirement of 1.43
(1.43e) “from at least 3 different federations” These Federations must be National Federations. ‘FIDE flag players’ are not taken into account to fulfil requirement of exception 1.43e


Title applications

Applications for GM/WGM and IM/WIM titles by ‘FIDE flag players’ can be accepted only after prior communication with QC.
‘FIDE flag players’ may apply for titles according to 1.3 provided that they pay the relevant title fee by themselves.


Arbiters under the FIDE flag

Arbiters under the FIDE flag may participate in any FIDE rated event as arbiters, provided that they are licensed.
Arbiters under the FIDE flag may register in Arbiter seminars provided that they pay the seminar fee by themselves.
Arbiters under the FIDE flag may renew their license provided that they pay the relevant license fee by themselves.
Applications for arbiters’ titles by individuals under the FIDE flag can be accepted only after prior communication with ARB Commission.


Trainers under the FIDE flag

Trainers under the FIDE flag are allowed to participate in Trainers’ seminars provided that they pay in advance the relevant participation and title fees by themselves.
Trainers under the FIDE flag are allowed to renew their license provided they pay the relevant license fee by themselves.
Applications for trainers’ FST or Di titles by individuals (as per TRG Regulations) under the FIDE flag can be accepted only after prior communication with TRG Commission.

If anyone has any questions, please contact office@fide.com

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 20188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm

The latest on this is that the Bulgarian government have refused to renew the chess federation's "sports license".

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... nex_68.pdf

A government audit concluded that funds granted for the organisation of ECU tournaments had been improperly spent and demanded their return. With this not forthcoming, they pulled the plug on official recognition and started legal action.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 20188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Corruption scandal rocks the Bulgarian Chess Federation

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am

The FIDE site announces that new Bulgarian players can be offered a FIDE Identification Number and that tournaments may now be rated etc.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... garia.html
FIDE are happy to announce that after communication with the temporary FIDE relationship commission members (consisting of GM Kiril Georgiev, GM Antoaneta Stefanova, GM Alexander Delchev and interim FIDE rating officer ICCF IM and FIDE IA Milen Petrov) we have come to the following agreement:

Post Reply