FIDE Registration

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: FIDE Registration

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:04 pm

The ECF has now written to those members for whom it has email addresses and permission to use them.

This is what it is saying about registration. That's fine as far as it goes, but where's the bit about objecting to FIDE hijacking data in this manner?
FIDE Registration Advice

You may be aware that FIDE have made some changes to their website: you are now required to register with the “FIDE Online Arena” to access player information such as ratings progress and game statistics, which is information previously available to everyone. This development is linked to the changes in the FIDE regulations that came into force on 1st July concerning player registration.

We and other national federations have been concerned for some time about the security of the FIDE website. The ECF is obliged under UK and EU law to ensure that data is held securely and processed appropriately, both by ourselves and others with whom we share data, especially if they are outside the European Union. We have not been assured that the FIDE registration process is secure. One of our members, Graham Cluley, has written a useful article (here) that we recommend.

FIDE is not obliged to conform to EU standards. The ECF is engaged with FIDE and the European Chess Union about data protection. Meanwhile, in the event you wish to register with the FIDE Online Arena, please be aware that any personal information you provide is unlikely to be handled in accordance with EU standards.
Graham Cluley has never played in internationally rated chess, so doesn't have a FIN. He could presumably get one through the ECF and not have to supply his passport data, that would however be at the additional cost of a Gold membership as distinct from a Bronze one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The ECF has now written to those members for whom it has email addresses and permission to use them.

This is what it is saying about registration. That's fine as far as it goes, but where's the bit about objecting to FIDE hijacking data in this manner?
I missed this at first. All I saw was an email about discounts on a cruise, so I deleted it without scrolling down in case there was anything else.

As Roger suggests, I think the ECF is concentrating on an (important) administrative detail but missing the wider, and far more dangerous, development.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:58 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Bad news, it's back. Nobody I speak to has any idea what is happening.
Appears to have been binned again (hopefully for good this time).

http://en.chessbase.com/post/december-2 ... chuk-rises

"Editor's note: We’d like to tip our hat to FIDE and thank them for listening to their members and removing the need to sign in each and every time at their site to access player Elo information."

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:Bad news, it's back. Nobody I speak to has any idea what is happening.
Appears to have been binned again (hopefully for good this time).

http://en.chessbase.com/post/december-2 ... chuk-rises

"Editor's note: We’d like to tip our hat to FIDE and thank them for listening to their members and removing the need to sign in each and every time at their site to access player Elo information."
I had to log in on Monday when the December rating list was published but maybe things have changed in the last 24-48 hours.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:15 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: I had to log in on Monday when the December rating list was published but maybe things have changed in the last 24-48 hours.
They don't seem to have done. If you don't have an Arena account, you don't have access to histories.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Having tried today I'm still required to log in :?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Can you try clicking on the links in the top-100 Chessbase report? Those work for me.

Ah. But I can't see my own rating history. :oops:

It seems they only unlocked the top players or something. :evil:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Ah. But I can't see my own rating history. :oops:
Same for me
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: It seems they only unlocked the top players or something.
It looks as if they've unlocked the top 100 and players who have been in the top 100. You can see the histories of Luke and Gawain, but not Nick Pert. I suppose it partly gets ChessBase off their back.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Ah. But I can't see my own rating history. :oops:

It seems they only unlocked the top players or something. :evil:
Further incentive to get yourself into the top 100.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.