Jack Rudd's election Q&A thread

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Jack Rudd's election Q&A thread

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:51 pm

"4/ To advise the Board on issues of efficacy and transparency in the operation of the Board."

Wow. There should be a 4a, "The Board to take some notice if someone does 4."

The trouble is you get worn down by doing 4 and not having a 4a and eventually you give up.

Anyway, Vote Jack!

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Jack

Thank you to the answers to my questions (middle of last page). The first one was not what I was expecting, but shows independence of thought, which would be an asset for the board.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Two years ago you said the following. Would your answer be any different now?
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Is the Company model the most effective form of corporate governance for an organisation like ECF?
Quite possibly not. Corporate governance is not really my area of expertise, though.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:34 pm

It would be much the same. If I were to be called upon to consider a question of corporate governance, I would seek the opinions of those for whom it is their are of expertise.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 pm

What do you think about the Membership fee going up as the ECF is looking for a £100k Surplus

also what do you think of the vote going 103-102 for the fees going up £4 for gold, £3 for silver and £2 for bronze
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:34 pm

I'd like to know what the plans for using the surplus are before I can comment properly on it.

I'm not sure what to think of the vote's going 103-102 for those membership fee rises, except the obvious "the proposer only just got his/her proposal through". Some proposals are like that.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 pm

Jack

I apologise if I'm being a little unfair, but I can't help feeling that you're being a bit woolly in your answers to the questions you're being asked.

If you set up a specific thread to answer questions from those who may want to vote for you, then I think it behoves you to give more specific answers to the questions you are getting.

Mike

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I'm being woolly because the situations are ones I will need to look at before I commit myself to anything.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Hmmmm.

Election addresses are all about giving commitments and intentions. Why should you be any different just because you decide to set up an ecforum thread rather than submitting an election address?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 pm

But unless I misunderstand the role, isn't the NED less there to make and carry out their own policy, more to scrutinise and suggest on behalf of members?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:07 pm

JustinHorton wrote:But unless I misunderstand the role, isn't the NED less there to make and carry out their own policy, more to scrutinise and suggest on behalf of members?
We've already had the job description (see below) and it's "member organisations" (see 3/ in job desc.) rather than "members" who the NEDs act on behalf of.

Each class of ECF member (Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze) has its own Direct Members' Representative to fight their corner. Although questions were asked about their powers and access to the Board and Council members, by RdC earlier in this thread -
Do the "member representatives" have any special privileges? I know they have a rarely used power to put motions to Council without needing much additional support, but do they have any more access to directors, non-exec or otherwise outside of the two regular Council meetings each year?
That question remains unanswered (not that I'd expect Jack to answer it necessarily), as does the second half of the question asked, of Jack, by Matthew Carr at the end of the quote below, I think -
Matthew Carr wrote:Hi Jack

I read the job description of the Non-Executive directors. According to that the role involves:

Non-Executive Directors:
1/ Bring their business, chess playing and organisational skills and experience to bear on the Board’s decision-making processes, acting at
all times in the interests of the ECF as a whole.

2/ To monitor in a non-executive capacity the Executive Directors.

3/ To ensure that the views of unions, leagues, congresses and other
member organisations are properly considered at Board meetings.

4/ To advise the Board on issues of efficacy and transparency in the
operation of the Board.

5/ To advise the Board on internal and external communications and
relations.

6/ To advise the Board on the range, extent and effectiveness of the
ECF’s Policy Framework.

How would you go about achieving these 6 points and what other things would you do on top of these?
Jack, are there any "other things" you'd wish to do in addition the 6 points in the job description?

Edit: I see that Jack has given a very laudable answer in the post immediately below. Thanks.
And I'd say that he's already gone some way to help achieve his stated aim.
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 pm

I'd want to do something to make this country a better place to seek title-norms in. Not sure what, though.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Jack, I think that your election campaign may be disadvantaged in that your name is not included in the list of nominations received on this page: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/ec ... and-board/

The fact that you have no election address is no justification for not including your name with a simple note (no election address available).

Any list of candidates on the ECF website should include ALL candidates.

Matthew Carr

Post by Matthew Carr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Jack, I think that your election campaign may be disadvantaged in that your name is not included in the list of nominations received on this page: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/ec ... and-board/

The fact that you have no election address is no justification for not including your name with a simple note (no election address available).

Any list of candidates on the ECF website should include ALL candidates.
Jack do you think if you asked the ECF webmaster/Company secretary they could put a link to this thread on that page? At least people would then know what your up to and planning.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Matthew Carr wrote: Jack do you think if you asked the ECF webmaster/Company secretary they could put a link to this thread on that page? At least people would then know what your up to and planning.
With current attitudes, it would be very difficult to see any links to www.ecforum.co.uk at www.englishchess.co.uk .

There is however a thread at www.englishchess.co.uk/forum where Jack has commented.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... f=18&t=422

I don't really know what convoluted points Simon Spivak was trying to make.