People Clashed at AGM

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

People Clashed at AGM

Post by John Reyes » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pm

just wonder if anyone can help me!

I went to the Lancashire AGM in Blackpool last Thursday, and there was a part when AOB came and everyone was asked if they had something.
when it came to my bit, I say yeah I did. in the last 3/4 years, i was ECF rep and the meeting that was at Lytham, the President got someone else to be rep as i was at that time the NCCU ECF rep, then the following year I have offer to be NCCU rep, and the President got 2 other local people to be rep, and they got voting in. then last year, I put myself forward as NCCU president, but the Lancashire President, told the Meeting that he was Asked personal to be the NCCU President (I don't believe that, but hope the Yorkshire lots can shed some light) and he was voting in. so this year, I though if I put myself forward, what are the odds of not getting picked. anyway the Lancashire president, sent a email to certain people, and taking me out of the loop over the proposals that me and Michael (the other ECF Silver rep) sent to members about how you want us to vote etc at the ECF April meeting,

anyway I asked him straight at the meeting, why did he do that and did he have a problem with me. his response was this "you was right about the email, but I do have a personal problem with you" he then carry on what is my agenda as my club Urmston is under the Lancashire banner and over the 7 years I have been a member, I could not play for the u140 county team because of work and also of my part time job as an PDC darts marker. he then accused me of voting against the nccu motion, and also that I am now the Open team captain for Greater Manchester. (I did try to explain to him that every time you sent a email, you sent it to a club member and not to the club Secretary. Also that everytime I put my name forward, you don't want me and that the MCF asked me to captain the team, due to the 100 year of the County Championship and after my success in captain the Manchester league team vs Liverpool, that would I be interested. I told them I would speak to my wife and also If we got the MCCU name to the national final.

he does a lot for chess in Lancashire, but at the same time, he try to get people to support him.

he try to pressure a member of a club to support the Lancashire caused and get their members to donated there £1 for signed up to Lancashire and they treasurer has told him no. just wonder if anyone can give me advise or what I should do?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Re: People Clashed at AGM

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pm
just wonder if anyone can give me advise or what I should do?
You probably won't get anywhere until there's a majority of people with votes and potential office holders turning up at Lancashire meetings with a mandate to end for ever the over forty year old feud with Greater Manchester over county match eligibility.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:30 pm

I've never been remotely interested in getting involved in the politics of the NCCU but the Presidency rotates alphabetically around the member counties and the chosen President is always going to be a NCCU insider. I might be wrong but I think the county due to hold the Presidency chooses their candidate. If the individual in question is who I think it is I know he is not liked by many within Yorkshire.

You (and Michael Farthing) are the only people willing to stand as silver member representatives and I know that you make a big effort to consult your constituency and vote according to their wishes. The NCCU/ LCA could (and should) do their own consultation and vote accordingly. The consensus reached may or may not be the same as that of silver members.

In the run up to the finance council meeting I had sight of an email from this individual (assuming again it's who I'm thinking of) stating that the Yorkshire representative should be spoken to in order to ensure he votes in line. My response (not copied to this individual although I wish I had) is that Yorkshire CA will vote in accordance with the wishes of our members and take no orders from the NCCU.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 pm

"just wonder if anyone can give me advise or what I should do?"

What the others said really. If it's any consolation, this is entirely normal behaviour for a chess organization.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:30 pm
I've never been remotely interested in getting involved in the politics of the NCCU but the Presidency rotates alphabetically around the member counties and the chosen President is always going to be a NCCU insider. I might be wrong but I think the county due to hold the Presidency chooses their candidate. If the individual in question is who I think it is I know he is not liked by many within Yorkshire.

You (and Michael Farthing) are the only people willing to stand as silver member representatives and I know that you make a big effort to consult your constituency and vote according to their wishes. The NCCU/ LCA could (and should) do their own consultation and vote accordingly. The consensus reached may or may not be the same as that of silver members.

In the run up to the finance council meeting I had sight of an email from this individual (assuming again it's who I'm thinking of) stating that the Yorkshire representative should be spoken to in order to ensure he votes in line. My response (not copied to this individual although I wish I had) is that Yorkshire CA will vote in accordance with the wishes of our members and take no orders from the NCCU.
Bill O'Rourke :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Yeah, yeah we know. But hey! He does organise some good chess. He infuriates me - but at the same time I do like him. Bit like Boris.
[Should I put this post on hold for 24 hours? Nah! I'm drunk and I'll use that as my excuse].

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 pm

You ought not get stressed at AGMs or any chess meetings or darts either. I'm all for missing AGMs when celebrating the biggest world cup win that I can remember. It was also a very long time ago when Surrey had 'people clashing at an AGM'. Hopefully at the next one we can get it all out the way without tea/coffee!

Not so long ago that I had a dispute with Bill & I appreciated the phone calls & letters from Lancashire players.

My advice as preparation for Bill, whether chess or a meeting is to watch Kill Bill Volume 1 & 2 to get in the mood.
Never use a dodgy Lancs analogue clock.
Be careful about shaking hands. Maybe offer a hand then put thumb to your nose & laugh. Or try the five point palm exploding heart technique.

I used to wear shin pads for crunch matches (warm up for chess by playing football) so will certainly have them for any national stage matches against Lancashire just in case.

Maybe go to the gym & get the punch bag out & chant a name with each punch. It was quite stressful at work at the time but an excellent technique from the gym instructors & occupational health.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 pm
Yeah, yeah we know. But hey! He does organise some good chess. He infuriates me - but at the same time I do like him. Bit like Boris.
[Should I put this post on hold for 24 hours? Nah! I'm drunk and I'll use that as my excuse].

I do agreed what he does for Lancashire is good, but it is the same old story that he put yes men around him, but also think that he is above everyone else
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well