Puzzle

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
E Michael White
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Puzzle

Post by E Michael White » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Here’s a puzzle for uni students, arbiters and others with time on their hands at this time of the year. No prizes.

Construct a position with the maximum number of different pawn moves, which checkmate imediately. For this purpose promoting the same pawn to the same square, to 2 different pieces, counts as 2 different moves. Of course the position has to be legal in the sense that it could occur in a normal game of chess.

Eg. This position has 2 different mates in 1 by pawn moves :- a) b8=Q or b) b8=R


I’m not sure my solution is the highest but has 19 different mates in 1 by pawn moves.

Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm

22

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Aargh - I was just feeling very pleased with myself for getting 20

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm

I've looked at my position again and I've got 22 too.

E Michael White
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Puzzle

Post by E Michael White » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I have 22 now too.

Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm

23

Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 pm

26

E Michael White
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Puzzle

Post by E Michael White » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Nice one Peter. I thought I had 24 to begin with but discovered the position wasn't legal. I shall have to see if i can make it work. It will be interesting to see if there are common elements to these solutions when we have decided what the best one finally is.

Oh I see you have just made 26 now.

Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Michael,

It's a nice puzzle - thanks for posting.

Peter

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

I think I have 27 and I think it is legal

Clive Blackburn

Re: Puzzle

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm

I would love to see some of these solutions - the best I could manage was 17!

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Here is my 22 for you


E Michael White
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Puzzle

Post by E Michael White » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm

This was my 22.


Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Here's a 24 with only two white pawns and no promoted pieces - 2n1r1n1/1NRPkPRN/8/4K3/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Puzzle

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 pm


Post Reply