Puzzle
-
E Michael White
- Posts: 1420
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm
Puzzle
Here’s a puzzle for uni students, arbiters and others with time on their hands at this time of the year. No prizes.
Construct a position with the maximum number of different pawn moves, which checkmate imediately. For this purpose promoting the same pawn to the same square, to 2 different pieces, counts as 2 different moves. Of course the position has to be legal in the sense that it could occur in a normal game of chess.
Eg. This position has 2 different mates in 1 by pawn moves :- a) b8=Q or b) b8=R
I’m not sure my solution is the highest but has 19 different mates in 1 by pawn moves.
Construct a position with the maximum number of different pawn moves, which checkmate imediately. For this purpose promoting the same pawn to the same square, to 2 different pieces, counts as 2 different moves. Of course the position has to be legal in the sense that it could occur in a normal game of chess.
Eg. This position has 2 different mates in 1 by pawn moves :- a) b8=Q or b) b8=R
I’m not sure my solution is the highest but has 19 different mates in 1 by pawn moves.
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Puzzle
Aargh - I was just feeling very pleased with myself for getting 20
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Puzzle
I've looked at my position again and I've got 22 too.
-
E Michael White
- Posts: 1420
- Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm
Re: Puzzle
Nice one Peter. I thought I had 24 to begin with but discovered the position wasn't legal. I shall have to see if i can make it work. It will be interesting to see if there are common elements to these solutions when we have decided what the best one finally is.
Oh I see you have just made 26 now.
Oh I see you have just made 26 now.
-
Peter Sowray
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am
Re: Puzzle
Michael,
It's a nice puzzle - thanks for posting.
Peter
It's a nice puzzle - thanks for posting.
Peter
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Puzzle
I think I have 27 and I think it is legal
-
Clive Blackburn
Re: Puzzle
I would love to see some of these solutions - the best I could manage was 17!
-
Peter Sowray
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am
Re: Puzzle
Here's a 24 with only two white pawns and no promoted pieces - 2n1r1n1/1NRPkPRN/8/4K3/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1