(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm
I doubt criticism of Bolton is ever likely to be considered a 'hate crime. The 'similar comment' made by Nick Faulks hasn't been seen by anybody on this forum, so it would be entirely wrong to simply accept at face value that he was the victim of over zealous moderation by the BBC.
The precise wording, quoted in their email to me, was

"Subject:

Coronavirus: Non-essential trips to Scotland 'could break law'

Posting:

I'm sure it's been said several times already, but why would anyone travel to Scotland if it wasn't essential?"

Normally a search might find this, but the BBC deemed it so hazardous to the fragile mental health of the Scots that it was permanently excised.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 pm
Getting back to topic, Ian Thompson has probably played in more countries than Nigel Short, surely he can contribute to this digression?
I don't think I'm even close - 23 foreign countries in 37 years if I've counted right, plus any, or all, of England, Wales, Scotland, Guernsey, Isle of Man and Gibraltar if they count.

The worst place I can think of is Pardubice, although it was 21 years ago, so it might be different now:
  • Poor hotel, although it was supposed to be one of the best one in town
  • No good restaurants that I found
  • Poor playing conditions
  • Terrible result
  • Car clamped by the police when I parked on the grass in what I thought was the hotel grounds because the hotel car park was full

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:30 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm
The worst place I can think of is Pardubice, although it was 21 years ago, so it might be different now:
  • Poor hotel, although it was supposed to be one of the best one in town
  • No good restaurants that I found
  • Poor playing conditions
  • Terrible result
  • Car clamped by the police when I parked on the grass in what I thought was the hotel grounds because the hotel car park was full
A few weeks ago I found the hotel, restaurants and playing conditions all good. Indifferent result was my fault and I did not test the tolerance of the traffic police.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm
There are a few golf clubs in Lytham St.Annes. Quite a wealthy place. There is Lytham Festival. It was announced in the Blackpool Gazette the other day that Diana Ross and Lionel Richie will be making an appearance there next year.
I spent 2 or 3 years living in Lytham St. Annes while also working there. When I moved in to my flat I found that the previous occupant was being pursued by several debt collectors for unpaid bills. Shortly before I left, my next door neighbour was arrested by the police for dealing drugs.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 pm

"Bolton is in Greater Manchester"

OK - I don't want to be Greater Mancist either...

Isn't Greater Manchester and Lancashire effectively the same? Oh no, I remember...

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:18 am

Nick/David. Thank you both. I had seen the reference in the previous thread to a similar comment but again had not seen the exact wording. I think my request was a perfectly reasonable fact check in the circumstances - even if David had seen it which renders my use of 'anybody' incorrect, the details weren't obviously more widely known.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am

The geography of this stuff does get a bit amusing. Warrington has apparently declared independence from all counties?!

Maybe at some point they'll manage to admit that Liverpool & Manchester & friends aren't that far off one conurbation :)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 am

Switzerland has removed the need for UK visitors to quarantine. This opens up Swiss CHess Tour events: http://www.swisschesstour.com/

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 am
Switzerland has removed the need for UK visitors to quarantine. This opens up Swiss CHess Tour events: http://www.swisschesstour.com/
There was an up to date list on the BBC News website six days ago.
I think Sweden and Greece are fine to travel without quarantine and the Canary Islands have been added along with Gibraltar, Madeira, Maldives and Cuba.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 am
There was an up to date list on the BBC News website six days ago.
I think Sweden and Greece are fine to travel without quarantine and the Canary Islands have been added along with Gibraltar, Madeira, Maldives and Cuba.
I was more concerned about those countries imposing quarantine on visitors from the UK. Switzerland was one of those countries, until today, which made it impractical for most Brits to play in a tournament there

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:35 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm
There are a few golf clubs in Lytham St.Annes. Quite a wealthy place. There is Lytham Festival. It was announced in the Blackpool Gazette the other day that Diana Ross and Lionel Richie will be making an appearance there next year.
I spent 2 or 3 years living in Lytham St. Annes while also working there. When I moved in to my flat I found that the previous occupant was being pursued by several debt collectors for unpaid bills. Shortly before I left, my next door neighbour was arrested by the police for dealing drugs.
Probably the exception in Lytham St.Annes.
I suppose you get it everywhere these days.
Sad news on the Fylde coast with Bobby Ball dying.
He lived locally and died in Blackpool Victoria Hospital after testing positive for Covid-19.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm

An interesting illustrated article about how the virus spreads indoors and measures that can be taken. It also demonstrates the growing theory that the virus transmission is more airborne than government advice currently warns; https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... xSu7UEq0HI

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm
It also demonstrates the growing theory that the virus transmission is more airborne than government advice currently warns;
With limited exceptions, places of employment don't seem to have been engines of spread. Offices and workplaces are supposed to be "Covid secure", but isn't that more of a legal status than medical one?

More pertainantly, are there any examples where the virus transmission can be attributed to contaminated chess pieces, boards, pens, scoresheets or clocks?

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:17 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm
It also demonstrates the growing theory that the virus transmission is more airborne than government advice currently warns;
With limited exceptions, places of employment don't seem to have been engines of spread. Offices and workplaces are supposed to be "Covid secure", but isn't that more of a legal status than medical one?

More pertainantly, are there any examples where the virus transmission can be attributed to contaminated chess pieces, boards, pens, scoresheets or clocks?
I'd guess this report is probably earlier in the thread somewhere; https://www.chess.com/news/view/norway- ... d-covid-19

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Leaks suggest Boris will either be announcing a 4 week national lockdown on Monday, or at least new a new strict Tier 4 for large areas of the country. Essential services of the NHS starting to shutdown in the struggle to cope with new Covid cases.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.