(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm
no clear evidence of people being able to follow clearly marked one-way systems, wear masks which cover their nose (and sometimes not even their mouth), or at all in some cases, indoors, in shops :roll:
I'm sure they are perfectly able to do so, but have formed the view that any "scientific" recommendations that come from this Government are likely to be rubbish
You've not been to Bolton, have you? :lol:

You don't get to number 1 in the country for cases, as we were last month, by forming a view on anything much
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm

"You've not been to Bolton, have you? :lol:"

I have, but once was enough...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Somewhat uncalled for, but I expect it to be tolerated here.

Nick has reported that a similar comment from him about Scotland triggered an official warning from the BBC.

I now keep a small list of places to which I don't wish to go again. So far, in alphabetical order, the list comprises Bank DLR Station, Batumi (Georgia), Birmingham, Swiss Cottage and Twickenham Station.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm

I doubt criticism of Bolton is ever likely to be considered a 'hate crime. The 'similar comment' made by Nick Faulks hasn't been seen by anybody on this forum, so it would be entirely wrong to simply accept at face value that he was the victim of over zealous moderation by the BBC.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:08 pm

That is a large list.
I had only not wanted to be in the same place as one chess player.
Now I have to avoid the 10,000s in tier 2, 3 and 4 as well as the non-chess players.
God help any trIck or treaters this week whereas a year ago I gladly took treats to chess matches.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm

I now keep a small list of places to which I don't wish to go again. So far, in alphabetical order, the list comprises Bank DLR Station, Batumi (Georgia), Birmingham, Swiss Cottage and Twickenham Station.
At least it's unlikely that you'll have to go to all five on one journey :lol:

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm

The nicest footballer we know is Gary Cahill. Deborah and I looked after his dog. He played for Bolton before Chelsea. So I am OK with Bolton as a place and people in Bolton. However I do not want idiots spreading the virus coming into Westminster or Kensington and Chelsea or Kingston.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Somewhat uncalled for, but I expect it to be tolerated here
We have a sense of humour, so yes, of course

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 pm

Nice football stadium there. Just a bit of a shame the football club is struggling. Though I'm looking forward to see Bolton play Barrow in the league. Good win for Barrow last night.
I saw Top Gear a couple of weeks ago when they visited Bolton and Paddy McGuinness and Andrew Flintoff debated whether Bolton was in Lancashire or Greater Manchester.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 pm

I was hoping that Mick didn't take it as Lancism... I'm from Hull originally so like to get my retaliation in first (and I was joking of course).

Taking David's point, I was infuriated by some ill-mannered woman in Eastbourne about 45 years ago and never wanted to see the place again. More recently, I've decided it would be quite nice to live there. Twickenham isn't great, Batumi looked OK when Joanna Lumley talked about it on TV, but that's probably not the whole story. Vienna was a nice place, but the way the tournament was run was so awful, I never want to go back. Budapest was a nice place, but Easyjet and the airport staff were so obnoxious I can't go back there.

Getting back to topic, Ian Thompson has probably played in more countries than Nigel Short, surely he can contribute to this digression?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 pm
I was hoping that Mick didn't take it as Lancism... I'm from Hull originally so like to get my retaliation in first (and I was joking of course).

Taking David's point, I was infuriated by some ill-mannered woman in Eastbourne about 45 years ago and never wanted to see the place again. More recently, I've decided it would be quite nice to live there. Twickenham isn't great, Batumi looked OK when Joanna Lumley talked about it on TV, but that's probably not the whole story. Vienna was a nice place, but the way the tournament was run was so awful, I never want to go back. Budapest was a nice place, but Easyjet and the airport staff were so obnoxious I can't go back there.

Getting back to topic, Ian Thompson has probably played in more countries than Nigel Short, surely he can contribute to this digression?
Eastbourne, is one of the places I would avoid along with Walsall.
Have you not thought about moving up to Lancashire?
There is some nice places along the Fylde coast. Two great Chess clubs at Poulton-le-Fylde and Lytham St.Annes.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 pm

As Freddie, who like me was born in Preston, said to Paddy more than once, Bolton is in Greater Manchester not Lancashire

The football stadium is in Horwich not Bolton lol

Lots of nice countryside as seen on Top Gear but most of the town centre is not nice

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Simon said
There is some nice places along the Fylde coast. Two great Chess clubs at Poulton-le-Fylde and Lytham St.Annes "
I thought Lytham St Annes was a golf club !!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm

There are a few golf clubs in Lytham St.Annes. Quite a wealthy place. There is Lytham Festival. It was announced in the Blackpool Gazette the other day that Diana Ross and Lionel Richie will be making an appearance there next year.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:55 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm
I doubt criticism of Bolton is ever likely to be considered a 'hate crime. The 'similar comment' made by Nick Faulks hasn't been seen by anybody on this forum, so it would be entirely wrong to simply accept at face value that he was the victim of over zealous moderation by the BBC.
As you yourself said recently, it's always wise to check your facts before posting.

From another thread:
Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 pm
WHY not Tim. We are banned from Wales.
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:54 pm
A body blow for many, no doubt, but I am managing to hold my head high.
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pm
Careful, Tim. I made a similar comment on the BBC website below a story about Scotland threatening to keep us out and earned an official warning for hate speech.
Moreover, as it happens, I have seen the text of Nick's original comment on the BBC website.