A Former Loophole-The “Legal” Triple Check

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tristan Clayton

Re: A Former Loophole-The “Legal” Triple Check

Post by Tristan Clayton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 am

Rewan Demontay wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm
An en passant capture that leads to triple check is ineed not too hard to set up as you suggested.

Checkmate In 2 Moves
I’m intrigued to know which move led to this position.

...ah, B (g2/h1) x f3 +

Saw it as soon as I’d posted!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:56 pm
I know you can post images directly on the forum but I don’t know how you do it from a tweet. If anybody can show me the way forward I’ll save everybody a mouse click.

Here we go (thanks to Justin):-

Rewan Demontay

Post by Rewan Demontay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:30 pm

One last thing-Here is a problem in which the king is left in a quintuple check in the final position!

Mate In 4
Dedicated To Marken Foo (a personal friend)

1. Qd3+! Nxd3+ 2. Ne6+ Kxe8 3. Nf6+ Kf7 4. Rg7#
Last edited by Rewan Demontay on Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know, or wish to know, anything unusual about chess? Feel free to contact me!

Andrew Buchanan

Post by Andrew Buchanan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 pm

I feel sad that Dr Robert Norman who originated this whole gloriously silly idea did not get to name what became known as the Bosma condition. I've read the biography of his father (linked earlier in this thread), but would appreciate some more biographical details of the son, who died quite young, particularly since I spent some time in Dar Es Salaam myself in the nineties. I don't suppose anyone here knows more about him?

Many of the Bosma condition problems from the 1990s are unsound, and I have found fixes for most. Norman's intended solution doesn't work due to Bosma counterplay by Black (see https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/P1377131), but White still wins we think, through rather messy play. The Kristiansen #4 is too simplistic. I really want a version of Norman's which shows both the basic idea and the thematic counterplay, and then has a clean finish. Working on it.

There's also a bunch of new problems which have been composed recently. I may put a little article together on the subject, including all the fixes, which would pay due tribute to Dr Norman - if only I could find out more about him?

Thanks,
Andrew

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

Rewan Demontay

Post by Rewan Demontay » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Yes, welcome Andrew! It's good to have you here, my friend.
Do you know, or wish to know, anything unusual about chess? Feel free to contact me!

Andrew Buchanan

Post by Andrew Buchanan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 am

Thank you chaps! :D Nice to be a member of this very interesting forum

Rewan Demontay

Post by Rewan Demontay » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:04 pm

Addendum:

Everything I've said in this thread, and a bit more, can be read neatly in a row here: https://chess.stackexchange.com/questio ... 9992#29992

The original source of Bosma Chess, the fairy induction of the triple check, can be read here, introduction and award, in Dutch from Probleemblad: https://archive.org/details/bosma-chess

Triple check problems in general, as well as the above linked ones, can be viewed online here, under the keyword "Bosma": https://pdb.dieschwalbe.de/search.jsp?e ... 27bosma%27