1880s BCMs

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

1880s BCMs

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:49 am

A number of 1880s era BCM bound volumes are to be auctioned at


http://www.chesslund.com/search.asp?sea ... archtype=2

I'm very tempted by the 1881 one I must admit!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neil Blackburn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:55 am

Less exciting for most I know, but the Zagorovsky postcard caught my eye.

John Townsend
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by John Townsend » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:33 am

John, as the 1881 edition can be viewed on-line currently on Google Books, it seems hard to justify paying 450 euros for it, except as a collector's item. My very small working library doesn't allow such luxuries!

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am

John Townsend wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:33 am
John, as the 1881 edition can be viewed on-line currently on Google Books, it seems hard to justify paying 450 euros for it, except as a collector's item. My very small working library doesn't allow such luxuries!
I aim to have every bound volume from 1881 to 2015 and am almost there.

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Heaton
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 am

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by Paul Heaton » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm

John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!
No second rate cordex for you then!

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Paul Heaton wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!
No second rate cordex for you then!
I have many of the same year also in Cordex binders to facilitate scanning plus a large number of the same volumes as loose copies. Slightly sad, I concede.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Heaton
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 am

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by Paul Heaton » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:01 pm

John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:49 am
A number of 1880s era BCM bound volumes are to be auctioned at


http://www.chesslund.com/search.asp?sea ... archtype=2

I'm very tempted by the 1881 one I must admit!
You going toe to toe with Nigel Short in the auction?

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: 1880s BCMs

Post by John Upham » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:47 pm

I know Nige' is also attempting to complete his collection.

I'll let him go first: age before beauty and all that jazz!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Post Reply