Page 1 of 1

1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:49 am
by John Upham
A number of 1880s era BCM bound volumes are to be auctioned at


http://www.chesslund.com/search.asp?sea ... archtype=2

I'm very tempted by the 1881 one I must admit!

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:55 am
by Neil Blackburn
Less exciting for most I know, but the Zagorovsky postcard caught my eye.

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:33 am
by John Townsend
John, as the 1881 edition can be viewed on-line currently on Google Books, it seems hard to justify paying 450 euros for it, except as a collector's item. My very small working library doesn't allow such luxuries!

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am
by John Upham
John Townsend wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:33 am
John, as the 1881 edition can be viewed on-line currently on Google Books, it seems hard to justify paying 450 euros for it, except as a collector's item. My very small working library doesn't allow such luxuries!
I aim to have every bound volume from 1881 to 2015 and am almost there.

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm
by Paul Heaton
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!
No second rate cordex for you then!

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:24 pm
by John Upham
Paul Heaton wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:41 am

From 2016 onwards I have had the official BCM book binder bind them privately despite BCM giving up on BVs. Another reason for my departure!
No second rate cordex for you then!
I have many of the same year also in Cordex binders to facilitate scanning plus a large number of the same volumes as loose copies. Slightly sad, I concede.

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:01 pm
by Paul Heaton
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:49 am
A number of 1880s era BCM bound volumes are to be auctioned at


http://www.chesslund.com/search.asp?sea ... archtype=2

I'm very tempted by the 1881 one I must admit!
You going toe to toe with Nigel Short in the auction?

Re: 1880s BCMs

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:47 pm
by John Upham
I know Nige' is also attempting to complete his collection.

I'll let him go first: age before beauty and all that jazz!