Twitter Feed

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Post Reply
User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Twitter Feed

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Since we appear not to have won the web site of the year award again, I am now pushing out a twitter feed from the forum as well

It's here for those interested:

http://twitter.com/thechessforum
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 am

I don't know much about Twitter - it's not my scene.

However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?

If so, is that really appropriate?

Regarding the ECF Website of the Year Award, I thought you were adamant you didn't want to be nominated.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10980
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 am

David Sedgwick wrote:However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?

If so, is that really appropriate?
I have similar concerns (and yes, I think posting this does mean my name will appear on Twitter - oh noes!! :shock: )

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 am

David Sedgwick wrote:I don't know much about Twitter - it's not my scene.

However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?

If so, is that really appropriate?

Regarding the ECF Website of the Year Award, I thought you were adamant you didn't want to be nominated.
Never used it before either :oops:

I had not considered privacy to be honest, do you feel that Twitter exposes us (and you...) more than Google trawling the entire forum so it appears in most searches?

The idea was more just to increase presence rather than anything sinister although I happy to turn it off if people have concerns

I was being a little sarcastic on website of the year :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
I already use the RSS feed from the Forum to generate posts in Facebook, and it drives people back to the Forum as a result. As Carl points out the bottom line is that Google and Yahoo robots are scanning and indexing the text, virtually as you type. Try it out with a post, and see how long it takes for you to find that post on Google - I reckon one minute should do it?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9326
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:15 am

David Sedgwick wrote: However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
I think what everyone is trying to say, is "yes".
David Sedgwick wrote:If so, is that really appropriate?
It's no more a privacy problem than, say, Google. Nothing to worry about at all.

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 pm

however, it does have the problem of rarely reaching the subject matter in 140 characters. Idk if this is just because it is an automated feed, but it gives links and it's often hard to work out what the links are actually about
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Since we appear not to have won the web site of the year award again
I seem to recall a wise fellow declaring that http://www.ecforum.org.uk/ wasn't a web site but, in fact, a forum.

How many entries were there for ECF web site of the year?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:however, it does have the problem of rarely reaching the subject matter in 140 characters. Idk if this is just because it is an automated feed, but it gives links and it's often hard to work out what the links are actually about
This is absolutely true, and there may be a way of configuring the RSS feed from the Forum or the Twitter Feed (Google it to see what I use) to make it more readable.

However it takes a bit of digging.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10980
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:It's no more a privacy problem than, say, Google. Nothing to worry about at all.
Oh, OK. As long as no-one tries to claim that I've joined Twitter or anything like that...

Post Reply