Twitter Feed
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Twitter Feed
Since we appear not to have won the web site of the year award again, I am now pushing out a twitter feed from the forum as well
It's here for those interested:
http://twitter.com/thechessforum
It's here for those interested:
http://twitter.com/thechessforum
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
David Sedgwick
- Posts: 5252
- Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
- Location: Croydon
- Contact:
Re: Twitter Feed
I don't know much about Twitter - it's not my scene.
However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
If so, is that really appropriate?
Regarding the ECF Website of the Year Award, I thought you were adamant you didn't want to be nominated.
However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
If so, is that really appropriate?
Regarding the ECF Website of the Year Award, I thought you were adamant you didn't want to be nominated.
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10981
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Twitter Feed
I have similar concerns (and yes, I think posting this does mean my name will appear on Twitter - oh noes!!David Sedgwick wrote:However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
If so, is that really appropriate?
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Twitter Feed
Never used it before eitherDavid Sedgwick wrote:I don't know much about Twitter - it's not my scene.
However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
If so, is that really appropriate?
Regarding the ECF Website of the Year Award, I thought you were adamant you didn't want to be nominated.
I had not considered privacy to be honest, do you feel that Twitter exposes us (and you...) more than Google trawling the entire forum so it appears in most searches?
The idea was more just to increase presence rather than anything sinister although I happy to turn it off if people have concerns
I was being a little sarcastic on website of the year
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: Twitter Feed
I already use the RSS feed from the Forum to generate posts in Facebook, and it drives people back to the Forum as a result. As Carl points out the bottom line is that Google and Yahoo robots are scanning and indexing the text, virtually as you type. Try it out with a post, and see how long it takes for you to find that post on Google - I reckon one minute should do it?Carl Hibbard wrote:David Sedgwick wrote:However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Twitter Feed
I think what everyone is trying to say, is "yes".David Sedgwick wrote: However, does this "Twitter Feed" mean that anything I post on the Forum will automatically appear somewhere else as well, whether I like it or not?
It's no more a privacy problem than, say, Google. Nothing to worry about at all.David Sedgwick wrote:If so, is that really appropriate?
- Rob Thompson
- Posts: 757
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
- Location: Behind you
Re: Twitter Feed
however, it does have the problem of rarely reaching the subject matter in 140 characters. Idk if this is just because it is an automated feed, but it gives links and it's often hard to work out what the links are actually about
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Twitter Feed
I seem to recall a wise fellow declaring that http://www.ecforum.org.uk/ wasn't a web site but, in fact, a forum.Carl Hibbard wrote:Since we appear not to have won the web site of the year award again
How many entries were there for ECF web site of the year?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: Twitter Feed
This is absolutely true, and there may be a way of configuring the RSS feed from the Forum or the Twitter Feed (Google it to see what I use) to make it more readable.Rob Thompson wrote:however, it does have the problem of rarely reaching the subject matter in 140 characters. Idk if this is just because it is an automated feed, but it gives links and it's often hard to work out what the links are actually about
However it takes a bit of digging.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10981
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Twitter Feed
Oh, OK. As long as no-one tries to claim that I've joined Twitter or anything like that...Alex Holowczak wrote:It's no more a privacy problem than, say, Google. Nothing to worry about at all.