The school year and the scheduling of chess events

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Swain

The school year and the scheduling of chess events

Post by John Swain » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Everyone knows that the school year runs from September-July (June for some fortunate schools) but too many of our junior events occur or culminate in May/June/July/August when public exams, school trips or family holidays often intrude.

I know of a number of juniors who have not played in the UK Chess Challenge Mega-Finals in May because they were scheduled close to public exams or because the players realised that, even if they qualified for the Giga-Final, it clashed with a school trip or a family holiday.

The National Schools Finals in early July frequently see teams at less than full strength for some of the same reasons (trips and family holidays - exams are over).

The answer must be to start and finish events earlier in the school year. I therefore commend Neill Cooper's new venture, the Secondary School Team Chess Challenge for teams of four players. The initial events are in the Autumn Term, some before Half-Term. The Final is at Imperial College on 23 April 2014 (edited - original date was 28 March; see Neill Cooper's later post) well before "revisionitis" sets in. Details may be found at: http://www.teamchesschallenge.org.uk/
Last edited by John Swain on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Camp

Re: The school year and the scheduling of chess events

Post by Andrew Camp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm

One of the main reasons I do not enter the EPSCA Team event is that the finals are in our last week of term and no way would we be allowed to go.

If we had qualified of course.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:One of the main reasons I do not enter the EPSCA Team event is that the finals are in our last week of term and no way would we be allowed to go.

Who would not allow you to go and what law would this be under?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 pm

The beauty of Home Education = Freedom

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Due to a changed date of a university exam the final of Secondary School Team Chess Challenge has been postponed until Wed 23rd April 2014
Not as good as the end of March but still well before any public exams for secondary school pupils.

Some of the regional finals are already filling up- see http://www.teamchesschallenge.org.uk/tccenter.html

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Andrew Camp wrote:One of the main reasons I do not enter the EPSCA Team event is that the finals are in our last week of term and no way would we be allowed to go.

Who would not allow you to go and what law would this be under?
Our final week is filled with activities, services and speech day. These would take priority over any other external events.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]